PDA

View Full Version : Rider/child swap question

MikeyP
08-10-2010, 12:11 PM
I read somewhere that when you do a rider/child/kid swap, an older child (eligible to ride) may possibly be able to ride twice; once with each parent, while the alternating parent waits with the smaller child.

Can anyone comment on if the CMs allow this often? I kind of think it would be somewhat not as fun for the parent who doesn't get to ride with their older child.

If it's still allowed, would it be dependent on what the crowds/lines are like on a given day? We're going 9/5 - 9/13, and the crowds look like they'll be pretty light according to the Touring Plans Crowd Calendar, despite our trip starting on Labor Day weekend.

#1donaldfan
08-10-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't know the actual "policy" on it, however it's worked for us in the past, where the child can ride twice !! It may depend on each CM, and level of crowds....:thumbsup:

Strmchsr
08-10-2010, 12:46 PM
The child swap pass allows the second parent and 2-3 others to ride. It basically serves like a fastpass. You don't immediately get on the ride, but go through the fastpass line.

As for your question, though, yes, the older child can ride with each parent.

chefmickey3
08-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Go to the fast pass return line and tell the CM you need to child swap (the young child who can't ride must be present). You will get a ride swap ticket for the parent not riding. You then ride (use fast pass if you have it or through standby line). When you come out, the second parent rides with up to 3 other people (older children, grandparents, whoever) going through the FastPass line. We used it all the time when our boys were young - this year my youngest of three boys was 45" at 4-1/2 yo so we did not need to child swap!!!!! Have fun!

Mickey'sGirl
08-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Don't worry .... this isn't cheating or anything!

If you approach a ride for which another guest is not able to ride (one with a height restriction), ask the CM at the entrance for a "Rider Swap" pass. This will allow for one person to stay with the non-riding guest, while the others get into the regular queue to ride. When you are finished riding, you meet up with your party, and the guest who didn't ride goes back to the FASTPASS entrance with the pass, and up to 3 other riders to go back on the ride, without having to line up in the long queue.

In your case, you have a younger child and an older child. One of you will stay with the younger child, while the other rides with the older one. When they are done, your older child can go back on with the parent who didn't ride via the FASTPASS queue, using the Rider Swap pass.

This is a fantastic benefit for families, and we used it for the years before our youngest was tall enough to ride everything!

It is important to note, that NOT ALL RIDES HAVE RIDER SWAP. It is reserved for rides with height restrictions, not for rides that your child might not want to go on. Example, there is a swap at Space Mountain, but there is NOT one at Pirates or the Haunted Mansion. If your younger child does not want to ride something like Pirates and you both want to ride with your older child, then you will have to use the regular queue twice.

Have a great time, and make use of it! :thumbsup:

wdwfansince75
08-10-2010, 12:50 PM
My secret is out of the bag! All these years, I have told my family that one of the riders each time MUST be a grandparent!

GreenB
08-10-2010, 01:13 PM
We have done the child swap, with our 2 older sons riding twice, lots of times.
When you do the swap you and other 2 persons are allowed to ride with you. And I am almost certain that if you had 3 more kids and you explained that to the CM, he/she would allow all of them to ride.

It is totally permitted and it is a great perk for the kids!!!

Joannelet
08-10-2010, 02:17 PM
I just know that I am going to have to use this.
I have another question though...it's me my hubby and my son that go. Say my hubby and I want to ride space mountain....my son is too young for this ride (he's only 20 months now). If we get the parent swap ticket, I stand on line as regular or fastpass it as regular, go on the ride and then come out and my hubby goes through the fast pass line with his parent swap ticket while I wait with my son?
I just want to make sure I have this correct :)

Mickey'sGirl
08-10-2010, 02:18 PM
I just know that I am going to have to use this.
I have another question though...it's me my hubby and my son that go. Say my hubby and I want to ride space mountain....my son is too young for this ride (he's only 20 months now). If we get the parent swap ticket, I stand on line as regular or fastpass it as regular, go on the ride and then come out and my hubby goes through the fast pass line with his parent swap ticket while I wait with my son?
I just want to make sure I have this correct :)
You do! You will be able to use the SWAP just the same!

andreallybadeggs
08-10-2010, 02:23 PM
My secret is out of the bag! All these years, I have told my family that one of the riders each time MUST be a grandparent!

Love your style!:D My first grandbaby is on its way and I plan to emulate you. :number1:

Joannelet
08-10-2010, 02:39 PM
You do! You will be able to use the SWAP just the same!
Thank you! :)

BrerGnat
08-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Every ride will be different, but what we found at Disneyland was that the second "set" of riders did not go through the FP line, but rather through the EXIT (for immediate boarding). So, make sure you ask the CM where to return when its time to use the pass.

Strmchsr
08-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Every ride will be different, but what we found at Disneyland was that the second "set" of riders did not go through the FP line, but rather through the EXIT (for immediate boarding). So, make sure you ask the CM where to return when its time to use the pass.

Didn't know that about Disneyland, but every ride at WDW you go through the FP line.

BrerGnat
08-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Didn't know that about Disneyland, but every ride at WDW you go through the FP line.

Good to know. We might be using Rider Swap still on our next WDW visit. We didn't need to on our last one. My older son chickened out on anything that had a height requirement. But, he's gotten braver and we've been using it at DLR lately...