PDA

View Full Version : "Preferred" Parking?

MikeyP
08-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Do the parks offer any preferred parking options (at an added fee, of course) when you visit and pay for parking?

If it's offered, I'm considering it for our trip; we're not staying in the World and we'll have a toddler (2.5yo daughter) who will NEED to take a break every day, but an 11yo (and us 2 adults) who won't want to miss a thing. To help keep the balance, the quickest entry and exit possible will likely be super helpful.
We picked our second choice resort for this same reason (as it's a lot closer to WDW than our first choice).

Our trip is 9/5 - 9/13, so it will be hot and breaks will be essential.

Thoughts?
Strategies?

THANKS!

SurferStitch
08-10-2010, 10:10 AM
I have to say, getting to and from your car isn't bad at all, no matter where you park. The tram system they have is very efficient, and we've never waited more than a couple minutes for one to take us to our parking section the few times we've driven from our WDW resort to a park.

You shouldn't have any issues with the parking at WDW theme parks.

I've read about AAA Diamond Preferred Parking, but I don't know if they still have that at the parks. All of the info I've found is from 2003 and earlier. I did see a recent blog about getting this preferred AAA Diamond parking when they booked a Magic Your Way package through CAA.

Mickey91
08-10-2010, 10:14 AM
I don't think so. At one time there was AAA Diamond parking for those who booked their vacations through AAA. But I don't know if that is even offered now.

To keep from wasting time going back and forth, get the toddler a comfy stroller and find a nice secluded spot to help her "rest" in the shade or in a cooler building. Even sitting in Cosmic Rays (MK) can be a nice respite. You and your spouse can take turns running around with your 11 year old. Not the best solution, but much less stressful than trying to go in and out of the parks with a tired two year old and irritated 11 year old. Just food for thought.

ILoveLegos
08-10-2010, 10:42 AM
In the 15 years that I have regualrly driven to WDW, all I can say is the early bird gets the best parking spots. They generally fill from front to back. Also though, for parking lots with huge walking hikes like TTA at MK - use the trams (as another poster pointed out). In AK I've never parked as far away as the bus stop pick-up is located, but I also start out very early (from 70 miles away I might add) and arrive early in the lot and stay quite late.

Taking in little park rests (naps) is essential for me, since my home is so far away from WDW, leaving is not an option. Some of my favorite cozy nap places include:
Hall of Presidents
The American Adventure
The Movie in France
People Mover
The WDW Railroad (if you can sleep through the horn toots).
The Steam Boat Ride (if you can sleep through the Twain Marking, ha-hah)
Any of the 3-D movies & shows - especially Little Mermaid - cool, dark and relaxing.
Sound Dangerous (a particular favorite w/o the headphones on).
Any nice shady bench

For me 15-23 minutes is enough to refresh - then I'm on my way again!

Hope this helps!

DizneyRox
08-10-2010, 11:12 AM
When I drove, I always followed the green line! Shhh....

MikeyP
08-10-2010, 11:18 AM

What's that all about?

Strmchsr
08-10-2010, 11:20 AM
I don't think so. At one time there was AAA Diamond parking for those who booked their vacations through AAA. But I don't know if that is even offered now.

They do still have the diamond parking with AAA. However, it's not all that great. At MK and DHS it's a pretty good walk, even though the parking is "close." It's actually a good bit faster to take the tram. Epcot and DAK is a little better but it's still not all that much better than taking the trams which drop you off right at the front gate.

ILoveLegos
08-10-2010, 11:29 AM

Don't you mean the BLUE line?

DizneyRox
08-10-2010, 11:51 AM
It's been so long since I drove, maybe it was blue... It got to be I knew where I was going, so I just went, didn't pay attention to the stripes on the ground.

Strmchsr
08-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Don't you mean the BLUE line?

The blue line is the one for handicapped and AAA parking, so don't follow that one unless you have the right document (Diamond Parking Pass or handicapped card).

ILoveLegos
08-10-2010, 12:06 PM
What's that all about?

It's been so long since I drove, maybe it was blue... It got to be I knew where I was going, so I just went, didn't pay attention to the stripes on the ground.

:) Just checking. For MikeyP - The blue line in the lot leads to the front of the parking lot. But it is designated for Handicaped Parking. Ususally you have to flash a Handicap Permit hang tag to get past the CM "guarding" the area. (I often take my wheelchair bound Grandmother or ECV using Aunt so I know about the blue painted line and special parking area.) When I go without them - I park where I'm told. :blush:

If you don't have a hang tag, the CM points you to the parking area just outside the Handicapped parking area which is usually closer to the front entrance than wherever they are sending the cars in mass. Never did this, just saw other cars getting directed out of the H.P. area...

There is another color line (I think it is red but don't quote me) and it directs you to the drop off area of the parking lot). Great for local parents to use to drop off their kids for the day on their way to work, I guess. Never used this though (I have no kids & no one to drop me off, LOL)!

DizneyRox
08-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Then maybe it was the green line, for Kennel Club parking.

ILoveLegos
08-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Then maybe it was the green line, for Kennel Club parking.

Cool! :mickey:

andreallybadeggs
08-10-2010, 02:54 PM
We've stayed off property at 7 different resorts and our strategy was tweaked slightly each time. Where will you be? In any case, we've always had great trips and MOST of the time were able to return to our resort for a mid afternoon break.
If it was a little too far for that we took mini breaks in the park as pp mentioned and/or Disney resort hopped finding that the monorail, buses, boats were relaxing and then we would get a cool drink and locate a comfy chair in the lobby to crash for awhile. Echo the opinion that getting to/from parking has never been much of a problem. Longest time required is for MK, of course, since there's an extra step involved getting from the parking lot to the park. So, yes, in your planning you need to factor in time for leaving/returning to the parks but honestly if your resort is not too far from WDW it likely won't take much longer for your break than it would if you were staying on property. Do remember you'll have to pay to park but only once per day. Have a magical trip. :mickey:

MikeyP
08-10-2010, 02:58 PM
We've stayed off property at 7 different resorts and our strategy was tweaked slightly each time. Where will you be?

We'll be at Marriott's Sabal Palms. :mickey:

kathiep
08-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Our kids were your youngest one's age when we began taking them and driving our own vehicle worked best for us. We found the AAA diamond parking to be great. We usually get to the parks at opening in the morning so sometimes we wouldn't use it. For example - at MK - it was off to the left a bit and when we'd arrive prior to opening, we were closer if we did regular parkingat MK is still nice and close. It also really didn't make much difference at DHS.

Where we found it most helpful was when we'd return to the parks. We'd normally go back to the resort to cool off and return for the evening. Going directly to AAA parking helped us avoid searching around for the closest open spot.

Melanie
08-10-2010, 04:37 PM
We'll be at Marriott's Sabal Palms. :mickey:

We stayed there last week (great resort, by the way) and went back to the resort every afternoon. I agree that parking at Epcot, AK and DHS is quick and painless (walking from the parking and/or using the trams), but MK is another story for me. That is the one park I don't enjoy getting into and out of when staying off-site or visiting for the day. No matter how you cut it, it's at least a 30 minute process from parking lot to front gate.

Overall though, we found getting back to the Sabal Palms an easy process, although we seemed to go back every day a different way. LOL! We finally found that going down to the Gaylord Palms, turning left and taking the road behind the Nickelodeon Hotel, then crossing over to the Marriott worked best for us. Sorry I don't know all the road names. :blush:

crltkcagle
08-10-2010, 06:44 PM
We managed to park in the employees only parking lot at HS. We went in a back entrance and had to park there. The tram people didn't believe us when we told them where we parked. My stupid navigation system took me to the wrong entrance but hey it worked out. LOL I wish they did offer preferred parking cause I think I would pay for it.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-10-2010, 09:44 PM
We managed to park in the employees only parking lot at HS. We went in a back entrance and had to park there. The tram people didn't believe us when we told them where we parked. My stupid navigation system took me to the wrong entrance but hey it worked out. LOL I wish they did offer preferred parking cause I think I would pay for it.

That's too cool! Our GPS also had us end up in a back lot somewhere, but we were directed out to the main lot :(

We drove a lot on our last trip, and I was amazed at how quickly we could get back to our car, the trams were always ready and waiting.

So, I don't think Disney needs to get into the preferred parking busines (although, if they can make more $$, I'm sure they will), since it works quite efficiently the way it is.

disneykid@hrt
08-10-2010, 10:55 PM
I also have a 2 and a half year old daughter and I find that the quality of the nap she gets has a direct relation to how her mood is later on. So I always take her for a nap in the afternoon, back at the hotel. We've stayed both on and off site and done this and getting to your car is really not that difficult. Just make sure you give yourself like a ten minute window... If I see her temper getting shorter I start heading for the gate! Have fun! :mickey:

Oh and I've also heard the baby care centers are pretty nice too!