PDA

View Full Version : Spirit of Aloha dinner cancellation (backup plan)?

daisyhead
08-09-2010, 11:05 PM
We are planning the Spirit of Aloha luau for our Dec. trip and for DD's birthday. I started thinking today, what if it's cancelled and we have no ressies for a birthday dinner?

1.) Would it be okay to make backup ressies (and please give suggestions for a great TS for an 8th birhtday)

2.) If it is cancelled, will we receive a refund since we already paid in full on our credit card?

THANKS!:mickey:

SBETigg
08-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Cancellation is not likely, but could happen. In the event of, you should be able to call Disney Dining and find a suitable last minute replacement. I wouldn't take up an ADR on the off chance that you'll have a cancellation. I would just make the best of an unfortunate twist in your evening if it comes to that. Grand Floridian Cafe is a good back-up choice and usually available for last minute bookings, though a better choice for an 8 year old girl than for a boy. Narcoossee's is also good. Kona Cafe might fit you in considering the circumstance of a cancellation, too. I believe you would be refunded if circumstances arose that they had to cancel the show.

cajundisneyfreak
08-10-2010, 08:39 AM
I would definitely have a back up plan.We had the luau booked in June 2009.When we arrived at the Poly there was a big crowd.The luau was cancelled due to inclement weather.The bad weather was earlier.They didn't offer to reschedule anyone.They just said sorry folks.Everybody that was going to the luau must have decided to go to Ohana's because that line was massive.We were on the dining plan and that turned out to be a nightmare.They had already taken off the 2 TS credits and said since the luau was cancelled they would automatically be put back on.NOT!!!!! We found that out when we were at Epcot trying to find a place to eat.Some of us ended up in UK while some others ended up in Japan.The ones in Japan had to pay out of pocket for their meal cause it showed they had used up all their credits.Our credits showed up being the last ones.Needless to say we had to get that straightened out when we got back to our hotel.That was a nightmare in itself.We had a CM that wasn't very pleasent and eventually had to get a manager to straighten out the mess and it took forever.:mad:

daisyhead
08-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Thank you both for the input. I appreciate it! We are doing the dining plan, but decided to pay OOP for this particular event since it was 2 dining credits and this way we will be able to enjoy a meal on our last day there as well.

If it wasn't DD's birthday, I wouldn't be quite so worried about it. I realize we ARE at Disney, so we will be thrilled anyway. But, I just want her birthday meal to be special as well.

SBETigg
08-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Considering the previous poster's experience, I am reconsidering my advice about the back-up plan. While you should be able to find a suitable alternative in the event of cancellation, there are some times of the year when this is harder than others, and you do have a special event. And leaving the Polynesian might be a good idea, since it is the first place people will flock. Grand Floridian Cafe or 1900 Park Fare are still good choices with the birthday girl in mind. GF Cafe is a better meal, but the other has character interaction, which might make it more special. The setting in both is elegant but comfortable, and suitable for the occasion. Perhaps a slightly later reservation at either of these places would be wise, and then you can cancel easily once you know if the Luau will go ahead as planned.

#1donaldfan
08-10-2010, 12:40 PM
I would never pay OPP for the Luau, much less, waste 2 credits on it......that show and meal is not worth it at all, IMHO !!!! For an 8 year old, I'd let them pick the place to eat, no matter what they want and let them spend the rest of what I would've wasted at the Luau on a "shopping spree" at DtD !!! :cool: