PDA

View Full Version : Schools are sooo hard to deal with

Mickey91
08-09-2010, 03:05 PM
UGHHH!!!!!! We are going to Disney the week our school system has their "business days" and first three days of school. Normally we are unable to to get vacation even this early and the kids have to miss an entire week. So we were excited thinking it would be so much better and that it would probably be no problem getting their schedules and locker assignments a few days early so they can get right in the groove when we get back. WRONG!! They would rather the kids come in the office on the first day back and go through getting all of their teacher and locker assignments. Thus probably making them tardy. Is it just our school system, or is everyone else's just as insane? Next year I guess we will just take them out of class longer so they can go to the stupid business days! Business days should be earlier than two days before the start of school anyway.

Dsnygirl
08-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Not familiar with "business days", as our kids here get their locker assignments, etc., the first day of school -- and it is truly a school day, as they come home with homework. As such, none of our schools will even accept a "tardy" or "parental consented" absence the first week... the kids are marked out of class, period, and most teachers are pretty harsh on it.

One of my friends is a teacher and she says that it's b/c it's the time period when the kids get oriented to the new year, new teachers, new expectations, schedules, etc., and the teachers have a hard enough time getting kids back in the swing after the summer break -- they sure don't want to spend even more time a week or more later re-orienting half their students b/c they were out the first few days, and now have no idea what's going on.

I guess it's good, then, that your kids will hit the "business days", so they'll at least know what's hitting them when they get back... and be glad you're school is easier on the kids than up here, if it's any consolation - at least they won't get marked out, etc., as much! Have a great vaca!

dnickels
08-09-2010, 04:44 PM
I suppose every state is different, but where I grew up school districts received their per-pupil funding from the state based on student counts at the beginning of the year. I don't know if it was the first week or second, but they really stressed for everyone to be in attendance at that time because if they weren't it would mean the loss of funding. In that case at least I can see how an administrator looking at the loss of 15 grand because a family of 3 kids was going to be on vacation would certainly want to 'encourage' them to be in attendance at that time instead.

Of course 3 days isn't a big deal in isolation, but when that happens a few times over suddenly a district is short money, cutting teachers/staff, and then everyone gets mad.

I empathize, :mickey: just saying they have their own interests they need to look out for - funding (as mentioned above), test scores, graduation rates - where half the battle is won just by getting kids to show up so they focus on it for better or for worse.

marlyn
08-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Obviously the school system in the US is very different from ours up here in Canada. Aside from having to get caught up on any missed work, I have never had an issue with my boys missing school. As long as they keep themselves caught up, there is no problem.

My boys will be missing the first week of school this year for our WDW trip. All I have to do is phone on first day so they know and then when we get back my boys just find out what they missed and do work. I have never had anyone say anything...and have been taking them out during the school year since they were in kindergarten.

buzznwoodysmom
08-09-2010, 05:37 PM
I've never had any problems with my kids missing school for vacations. However, I completely allow the school/teachers to decide how/when work will be made up. I'm a firm believer in they are my kids and if they are doing well I can, as their parent, take them out for family vacation. But I'm also a firm believer in the school has every right to tell me when/how work is to be made up. It goes both ways. It may be easier for the teachers to deal with this when the kids return to school rather than have to deal with extra work when they already have a heavy load getting ready for the new school year. When my kids miss school for vacation I simply let their teachers know the dates and ask that they let me know how they want to go about make up work, extra assignments. Every teacher is different and whatever that teacher requests is what we do. I just feel it works best this way since we are the ones going on vacation. I don't want to make anyone else do extra work because we decided to take our family vacation during the school year. So I don't think your school is being hard to deal with, I just think they are letting you know what will work best for them. Good luck with everything.

TheVBs
08-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Sorry to hear that this has turned into a frustrating situation! I think Buzznwoodysmom is probably right, the school is just choosing what works best for them. They may not realize that you feel like they're being hard to work with.

We've never had any problems taking the kids out of school for vacations, even when we did it during the first week once. That's just when we're usually able to go. And, thankfully, we've never had any negative feedback from the schools. We also pick up make up homework when we get back, because that's what the teacher's have always suggested.

Hope things work out fine for you!

Daisy'sMom
08-09-2010, 06:09 PM
We took our nieces to DIsney for a week last year. My sister told us that the school principal marked the 9 year old tardy and the 13 year old had no problem at her school. I told her to go to the board, but she didn't.:mickey:

tundramom
08-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Our school has a strict policy of no vacations either first or last week of any grading period. I have had difficulty getting assignments in a timely manner, especially in the earlier years. We always turn in vacation dates first week of school.I send each teacher a reminder 1 week ahead of time with a note asking for at least 1 school day before we leave to review the assignments in case of any questions. I was always amazed at how difficult this request seemed to be. My DH 's brother and sister are both teachers and would have no problems knowing what work they would be doing 1 week away, I've actually had teachers say to my daughter "well, I don't really know what we'll be working on during the time you are away":jaw: Being an organized person of course this completely throws me for a loop:blush: Good luck!

Mickey91
08-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Well, I could understand if this was about days missed or make up work. This is about not giving her her locker assignment and schedule ahead of time so she has an idea of where she is supposed to go when she gets there. Plus it would be really nice if we could get her locker situated before she needs to use it. I personally think this would be easier for all concerned. As it is, she will come back and have to stand in the office while they locate her schedule and then figure out the whole day as she goes, plus learn and master her locker combination. Seems backward to me. I don't think they will give her a hard time for missing school though.

Thanks for all the helpful replies!:mickey: We will definitely have a magical vacation!

lettripp
08-09-2010, 11:52 PM
Our school has a strict policy of no vacations either first or last week of any grading period. I have had difficulty getting assignments in a timely manner, especially in the earlier years. We always turn in vacation dates first week of school.I send each teacher a reminder 1 week ahead of time with a note asking for at least 1 school day before we leave to review the assignments in case of any questions. I was always amazed at how difficult this request seemed to be. My DH 's brother and sister are both teachers and would have no problems knowing what work they would be doing 1 week away, I've actually had teachers say to my daughter "well, I don't really know what we'll be working on during the time you are away":jaw: Being an organized person of course this completely throws me for a loop:blush: Good luck!

It is not uncomon for teachers to base learning activities on assessments so the class can focus on common struggles and weaknesses in a timely manner. Also, many classrroom activities are based in group work or discussion, and for these reasons I can see why it may have been challenging for your child's teacher to define exactly what can be done while on vacation. That being said, the teacher should still have provided ample time and oppertunity for your child to catch-up upon return.

I can also tell you, from a teacher's perspective, that although being organized is very important in the profession, the variables are endless and it can be diifficult to define a week by week schedule when instruction must be paced for a class of students of varying ability. I ask that you have patience with teachers when it comes to preparing work for trips.

To address the topic at hand - I see NO reason why they can't give your child their schedule and locker beforehand and think you have every right to be frustrated. Not only would it make the process easier for your child, but will deplete from the beginning-of-year-office-rush for them.

Tinkerbella
08-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Sounds very frustrating to me indeed. I have been out of school for quite some time now but I recall it never being an issue, going on vacation. They would ALWAYS mail us or class schedule at least 2-3 weeks before the start of school so that we could come on campus and map out our day. Locker assignments, however, were always saved for the first day of school. I guess that every school is different, even by county. Sorry to hear that they are giving you such a hard time :(

Tiggerlovr9000
08-10-2010, 11:10 AM
UGHHH!!!!!! We are going to Disney the week our school system has their "business days" and first three days of school. Normally we are unable to to get vacation even this early and the kids have to miss an entire week. So we were excited thinking it would be so much better and that it would probably be no problem getting their schedules and locker assignments a few days early so they can get right in the groove when we get back. WRONG!! They would rather the kids come in the office on the first day back and go through getting all of their teacher and locker assignments. Thus probably making them tardy. Is it just our school system, or is everyone else's just as insane? Next year I guess we will just take them out of class longer so they can go to the stupid business days! Business days should be earlier than two days before the start of school anyway.

You used the term rather have them get their locker and schedule on that day. Have you told them that doesn't work for you and all the reasons you gave us. They might be a little annoyed but cant imagine them saying no to you..

NotaGeek
08-10-2010, 01:46 PM
It is so weird -- I don't have kids but looking back at my childhood taking me and my brother out of school or scheduling a family vacation during the school year just wasn't an option -- school took precedence to any family fun.

Is this a new thing that parents do -- just take kids out of school or have them miss their first week for a vacation? It seems like a strange message to give your kids about the importance of their education.

This isn't a judgment, its really just a question to see if lots of parents feel this way now.

Mickey'sGirl
08-10-2010, 02:27 PM
I often missed weeks of school, even when in my final year of high school, to go on family trips (and I'm pretty sure I am older than you). I missed 2 weeks that October to go to Italy with my parents, and 1 week in February to go to England in my senior year.

It was regular for us (and there were 4 of us) to miss at least a week of school at a time for a holiday throughout the regular school year. None of us took our education for granted, and each of us finished University with at least an Honours BA (my oldest brother with an MA from the London School of Economics). My parents believed, as do I, that a lot of learning happens outside of the classroom.

That said, I don't think I would schedule a holiday to coincide with the start of school. I think it's important to be there right at the beginning to get a good footing on the year. Just my opinion.

Regardless ... Have a great trip!! I hope you find lots of magic! :mickey:

Joannelet
08-10-2010, 02:36 PM
I think most families are pulling or wanting to pull their kids out of school for vacation because of 2 reasons....1) is that it is cheaper to go away (because most places run deals after school vacations) and 2) parents pull children out of school either before a holiday week or after a summer vacation because they believe that their children won't be starting to learn something new at that time...therefore they think they won't be missing too much.

This is just why I think parents do it. I know schools in my area are against it. I haven't even thought about this yet as my son is only 20 months so I have a couple of years yet to think about it :) But those are what I think parents are basing that decision on. I don't in any way think they are disrespecting the importance of education. I just think it's cheaper for the family to go away then. I think that is what they are basing it on and as to what their child will be missing while away. They want to pull them out before a vacation sometimes because they wouldn't be starting to teach something new that close to vacation.
I'm sure some teachers are different but I never had a teacher teach me something new the week before Christmas vacation or Spring break.
I hope I make sense :)

diz_girl
08-10-2010, 03:49 PM
My parents never took us out of school to take a vacation. Both my sister and I had perfect attendance in middle school. I even had to go to school on a Saturday as a make-up day for time missed during a school strike. Of course, I almost failed 7th grade English, so having perfect attendance didn't seem to help my academic performance. I was one of those 'very smart but doesn't apply herself' children. One quarter an A, the next an F. Looking back, I don't think that my education would have been negatively affected had we gone on vacation during the school year. Maybe it would have even helped.

So I probably will take out my children out of school once in a while during primary and secondary school. Not every year, but for when the trip calls for it, like Disney World. I'd just rather not do Disney during its most hot, crowded and expensive times, like we did when I was in school. However, we'll probably take most of our vacations during the summer or during spring break.

At least your school doesn't have the ridiculous schedule of the NYC schools this September. They come back on Wednesday, Sep 8, then are off for Rosh Hashana the next two days and then come back for good on the following Monday. :confused: It's like when a school district schedules the last day of school for a Monday. Why bother?

Georgesgirl1
08-10-2010, 10:30 PM
This is about not giving her her locker assignment and schedule ahead of time so she has an idea of where she is supposed to go when she gets there. Plus it would be really nice if we could get her locker situated before she needs to use it. I personally think this would be easier for all concerned. As it is, she will come back and have to stand in the office while they locate her schedule and then figure out the whole day as she goes, plus learn and master her locker combination. Seems backward to me.

In our school district, we teachers don't even get our class lists until a few days before school starts, so they may be unable to get schedules and locker assignments to you b/c they just don't have them made out yet. The schools here wait until the last minute to account for all the transfers that way there is minimal movement of students to new classrooms after school starts.

It is not uncomon for teachers to base learning activities on assessments so the class can focus on common struggles and weaknesses in a timely manner. Also, many classrroom activities are based in group work or discussion, and for these reasons I can see why it may have been challenging for your child's teacher to define exactly what can be done while on vacation. That being said, the teacher should still have provided ample time and oppertunity for your child to catch-up upon return.

I can also tell you, from a teacher's perspective, that although being organized is very important in the profession, the variables are endless and it can be diifficult to define a week by week schedule when instruction must be paced for a class of students of varying ability. I ask that you have patience with teachers when it comes to preparing work for trips.

I totally agree. As a teacher, I usually have a rough idea of what we will be doing all year long and a more definite plan of the next month or so, but it all depends on my students. If most of the class is still struggling with a topic, we may stay on it for longer than planned. In the same manner, if the class grasps a topic quickly, a unit that I thought might last for 2 weeks may last for only a few days. And then I have to account for odd interuptions in the school day like the tornado watch which means being in the hallway for 2 hours or the student who violently throws up all over the classroom which causes us to spend an hour on the playground while the janitor cleans up. There are too many variables with 20-30 students in a classroom. Teachers have to be super flexible about everything!

Mickey91
08-10-2010, 11:46 PM
You used the term rather have them get their locker and schedule on that day. Have you told them that doesn't work for you and all the reasons you gave us. They might be a little annoyed but cant imagine them saying no to you..

That's the wonderful school system we have. They never make it easy! I am going to make an appointment with an actual guidance counselor this week and see what can be worked out. Will next go to the principal and if I still have time, the school board. But I feel they will say no.

Mickey91
08-10-2010, 11:55 PM
It is so weird -- I don't have kids but looking back at my childhood taking me and my brother out of school or scheduling a family vacation during the school year just wasn't an option -- school took precedence to any family fun.

Is this a new thing that parents do -- just take kids out of school or have them miss their first week for a vacation? It seems like a strange message to give your kids about the importance of their education.

This isn't a judgment, its really just a question to see if lots of parents feel this way now.

Well, because of the way vacations are done where DH works, we rarely have any vacation during summer break. We have to sign up in October for the weeks we get the following year. We were thrilled to get a week that allowed them to only miss the first two days. Yes, some teachers start strong right off the bat, but for the most part, they won't miss anything. Our problem is they are missing the day (not a school day) where they get their schedules and lockers etc. So, we try to have them miss as little as possible, but I don't think public education is so stellar that my kids should NEVER get a vacation simply because their daddy won't get a summer vacation until he retires at 68. And look at the wealth of knowledge a little field trip to Disney introduces them to. Just world showcase alone is better than any social studies lesson. And, you will never convince me that public education is better or more important than family.

Mickey91
08-11-2010, 12:00 AM
At least your school doesn't have the ridiculous schedule of the NYC schools this September. They come back on Wednesday, Sep 8, then are off for Rosh Hashana the next two days and then come back for good on the following Monday. :confused: It's like when a school district schedules the last day of school for a Monday. Why bother?

We start on Wed, Aug 25, go three days,(two of which we are missing) then a week, then off for Labor Day. We a lot of times have our last day as a Monday!! Welcome to my school system!!LOL!:mickey:

Dznygrl79
08-11-2010, 11:59 AM
I am not sure if its just my local district but we could not get our locker and homeroom assignments until we had our parents come and sign a parent teacher contract. We had to come in on a set evening of the week before school started. I had a hard time because my mother is blind and did not attend school events and would send a relative in her place. I spent the first week of 9th grade in ISS because she would not come in and had sent my aunt before the school settled on having the document sent home, now I am saying this to tell you to see how strict your school is! I missed the whole first week of high school over a silly disagreement.