PDA

View Full Version : Camera That Does Video and Pictures Equally Well

Brian
08-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Can anyone recommend a camera that does both photos and videos very well? Right now, I have to have two cameras for this task. My picture camera takes great pictures, but isn't too great for video. My video camera takes great video, but not great photos. I'd love to get something in a single device that does both well.

It's been a while since I've shopped for cameras, so I'm out of the loop as to what's out there now.

BrerGnat
08-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Good luck with that. You can only cram so much into one device. Something is going to always be inferior.

We've just settled on great quality photos and mediocre video. We have a camcorder that we NEVER use. We do everything with our digital camera nowadays. Since we really only watch the videos on the computer anyway, the quality is fine.

Brian
08-09-2010, 12:38 PM
We've just settled on great quality photos and mediocre video. We have a camcorder that we NEVER use. We do everything with our digital camera nowadays. Since we really only watch the videos on the computer anyway, the quality is fine.

That's what we're currently doing, too. We have both, but use the digital camera for photos and video. The video seems fine (it's a little grainy), but I'd hate to look back years from now and wish that I would've taken better quality video.

DizneyRox
08-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Camcorders do video, cameras do pictures... That's what you get...

I have a HD camcorder that I've been able to get fairly decent pictures out of, but only for use within videos. I wouldn't even attempt to print out a picture taken with a camcorder.

My iPhone does pictures and video fairly well when viewed on it's little 4" screen. Watch it on anything else and it's awful!

Donald Duck
08-09-2010, 01:00 PM
I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-H9 8 mp camera that takes great pictures and videos.

This isn't the small typical digital camera that most people have, they look like an SLR camera.

It wasn't cheap, around $500.
I use it now instead of my digital camcorder for videos.
You can zoom while taking videos and you can film in color, black and white or sepia.
It also takes video in very dark areas.

Let me know if you have any questions.

:mickey:

Unlimitedfun
08-09-2010, 01:03 PM
I agree with Donald Duck. We have two Sony Cameras and find that they take great pictures and good videos.

TinksDH
08-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Depending on how much you want to spend, some of the newer DSLR's shoot video amazingly well. Nikon's D90 is good, but the Canon line-up is better as they have 1920X1080 resolution. A couple of professional videographers that I know recently picked up the Canon T1i to use when they don't want to bring their $5,000+ video cameras. It obviously shoots stills great, but also does a great job in video. You can pick a kit up (body and 18mm-55mm lens) for under $700.

Aside from something at this level, all the other "still cameras that shoot video" and "video cameras that shoot stills" are compromises. This new line-up from Canon are the first that really do both well.

No affiliation with Canon by the way. I am actually a Nikon shooter.

Disney Doll
08-17-2010, 11:18 AM
I agree with Mike. I have a Nikon D-90 and it does pretty good video. If you are looking for something small and not too expensive I would go with a compact point & shoot camera and something like a Sony Bloggie for the video.

SurferStitch
08-17-2010, 01:38 PM
We have the Leica D-LUX 4, and it takes incredible HD video and amazing photos. It really can do it all.

We plan on getting the Canon 2Ti, which is a less expensive version of the 7D, but takes video and stills just as good. The HD video is awesome with the 2Ti.

DH and I are pro photographers and videographers, so we are very picky with the equipment we purchase. :thumbsup:

brownie
08-17-2010, 04:33 PM
My Canon Powershot does decent video and great pictures. My HTC EVO does great with both, but I haven't watched the video on anything but the EVO.