PDA

View Full Version : WDW vs Disney Land - How different?

Plex
08-08-2010, 06:32 PM
I have never been to Disneyland, so I'm wondering just how different attractions are at DL vs WDW? For example, Big Thunder, Splash Mountain, etc that are at both parks - are the rides almost identical, or are they different rides with the same theme and general deign?

mickclub1955
08-08-2010, 07:40 PM
I've been to both. When you say compare WDW to DL I am assuming you mean the Magic Kingdoms. DL is a much smaller park and has a quaintness about it that is not the same at WDW. While they have most of the same rides, they are just different enough that will not make you say "oh I rode that at WDW and I don't need to ride it here." Some of the changes are good and some are bad. I personally do not like Splash Mtn. at DL. It seems shorter to me and it seems that you rush thru it. Thunder Mnt seems more compact to me at DL also and I don't like that Haunted Mansion is shortened there as well. You walk more in the Haunted Mansion at DL. They've shortened the jungle cruise also because of the Indy ride. Some stand outs at DL are Peter Pan's Flight. It has great special effects like the moon sequence. Also, Space mtn is awesome. DL still has the original Enchanted Tiki Room which I like hundreds of times better than the new one at WDW. Pirates of the Carribean is also awesome. Many more scenes at DL. DL seems to have more rides in a more compact space. Many are not at WDW. Pinnochio, Alice, and Storybook Land. As well as Casey Jr. and the Matterhorn. I love DL. Maybe because it is the original. Like I said this is my personal opinion though. I wouldn't pass up any opportunity to go to either.

faline
08-08-2010, 07:57 PM
They have many similarities but are very different. If you go to Disneyland, take it for its own place - don't compare - just enjoy!

Carol
08-08-2010, 10:32 PM
There is no comparison. Magic Kingdom at Disneyland is hands down better than the one at Walt Disney world. You can actually feel Walt when there. The attractions are much better -- especially Pirates, Space Mountain and it's a small world. Not to mention they have Alice and Toad. Plus the entertainment is still alive and well in California. :)

I much prefer vacationing in California. Funny since I own Disney Vacation Club at WDW and opt to use my points at Disneyland.

It's just a much more relaxed vacation and no buses. You can walk to both parks and Downtown Disney. AND the weather in California rocks. I don't like Florida and it's humidity.

:twocents:

Disney4us2
08-08-2010, 11:15 PM
I have never been to Disneyland, so I'm wondering just how different attractions are at DL vs WDW? For example, Big Thunder, Splash Mountain, etc that are at both parks - are the rides almost identical, or are they different rides with the same theme and general deign?

As far as Thunder Mountain, the track lay out is different. The scenery is a little different too. Neither one is better, just different.

Haunted Mansion, I like Disneyland's better, again personal preference. Small World, Disneyland's queue is all out doors.
I don't ride Space or Splash Mountains so I can't comment on those.

As far as comparisons, for me WDW is more of a destination resort vacation. Disneyland is in the middle of Good Neighbor hotels, stores, & restaurants. Disneyland has a lot of locals and is more of a day trip. If you base your trip at Disneyland there are a lot of Southern California destinations to explore. The OC beaches are about 20-30 minutes away. It is really hard to do a comparison since both WDW and Disneyland have their own personal charm. Disneyland is where it all started. I love knowing that Walt walked down Main Street. Just knowing that he built that park. Disneyland is a second home to DD and I. We love it, but we also love WDW for all the differences and similarities.

Don't compare. Just enjoy Walt's park.

Ian
08-09-2010, 08:06 AM
There is no comparison. Magic Kingdom at Disneyland is hands down better than the one at Walt Disney world. You can actually feel Walt when there. The attractions are much better -- especially Pirates, Space Mountain and it's a small world. Not to mention they have Alice and Toad.:ditto:

I sincerely wish I lived closer to Disneyland, because if I did I would rarely (if ever) waste my time in Disney World. It's such a different (and more rewarding, IMO) experience that the two just don't even compare.

From the very moment you enter Disneyland's Magic Kingdom and you look over to the firehouse on the left and realize that Walt himself slept there with his family ... that Walt essentially designed the entire park from top to bottom and that you're really for real walking in his footsteps you realize that the Disney World experience is pretty hollow by comparison.

Additionally, with the exception of maybe Haunted Mansion virtually all the attractions in DL that have counterparts in WDW are better or equal to them. Pirates is way better in DL, Fantasyland is much better overall with more/better attractions (and they still have Mr. Toad!!), you've got an extra coaster in the Matterhorn (which is a blast), plus the Nemo subs now. And really, overall, it's just a much more intimate experience that doesn't have the crassness and "money-grab" feeling of Disney World.

Now all that being said, there are some aspects of Disney World I like better ... the immersion in "Disney" is far more extensive in WDW than in DL. I love Epcot, which of course DL doesn't have. The wider variety of resorts to choose from is a big plus and the dining is far better in WDW than in DL.

But I'm a Disney purist. I feel like WDW lost its way years ago and yet you can still get the "real deal" Disney experience out in DL.

Just one man's opinion, though! :mickey:

azcavalier
08-09-2010, 03:20 PM
I have only been to DL once, 14 years ago, for two days. Loved it. Would love to go back, but as the DW and I found when trying to plan a trip, we can take our kids to WDW for 8 days for the same price as DL/DCA for three.

I have, however, also read a lot about it, and talked to friends from the West Coast about them.

Splash Mountain at DL is more like a log flume ride. It's shorter than the MK ride, and the logs are single-file (whereas the MK logs you can seat two people (three with a small child) in each row. The MK version is longer.

Both versions of BTMRR have similar themes in that it's a mine-car ride through the west, but each coaster is designed with different scenrey in mind. I don't have the book with me right now, but in the Imagineer's Guide to the Magic Kingdom it talks about how one ride is supposed to be patterned after Bryce Canyon National Park, and the other is Zions or Canyonlands.

Pirates was awesome at DL. I still like the MK version, but loved the DL version.

Space Mountain (even before the refurbs) was better at DL. It seemed smoother. Maybe I was just younger and didn't feel the jerks and bumps as acutely as I do now.

One more thing that is hands-down better at DL is Fantasmic!

Fantasyland at DL is better....right now. It will be interesting to see the difference when the refurb at MK is done in a few years.

eeyorepoohfan
08-09-2010, 07:04 PM

:mickey:So the general "idea" is the same for the two parks, but I feel they are very different. Disneyland will be more compact and has a lot of rides. I love the immersion at WDW though!

It's a Small World- I love Disneyland's version because it's longer and they incorporated characters into their countries! Plus, the outside it amazing to just look at and watch come ever quarter hour. And at Christmas, it's AMAZING! My DH likes WDW's better because it's shorter!

Pirate's-WDW is shorter and it seemed the drops are a bit different to me. Sometimes I like this shorter version because it can get stuffy on that ride after a while! Most of the scenes are the same but there are some differences.

Space Mountain-I know most people say they prefer Dlands version but I think I like WDW. It may be because I've ridden Dland's so much, so WDW is different and they may be why I like it? Same theme, the coaster track is set up different. Plus as WDW you sit bobsled style but at Dland you sit side-by-side.

Thunder Mountain- similar too me, don't think I prefer one over the other. Scenery is a bit different.

Winnie the Pooh- it felt like Dlands was longer? Plus, it is located in the old Country Bear Jamboree. When you exit one of the first couple of rooms, look up and back and you will see the mounted heads from the show! That's a fun treat!

Splash Moutain- definately feels longer at WDW and I really like sitting side-by-side (for some reason I get less wet this way ;) ).

Haunted Mansion- I love the building at WDW! Your outside wait time is significantly less. When you get in your doom buggy, the beginning of the ride with the staircase is very different than Dlands. Everything else seemed similar to me.

Don't forget that Dland has some great rides the WDW doesn't have. Indiana Jones, original Tiki Room, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Nemo subs (get there first thing in the morning or else there will be a super long wait and there are no fast passes for this ride), the MATTERHORN.

:mickey:Disneyland and Disney World are both fantastic parks! I love them both and they each have things that I love. I wouldn't compare them as they are different in feeling and in size. However, I LOVE the castle at Disney World! Don't get me wrong, the castle at Dland is the original and is quaint. But the sheer size and beauty of Cinderella's castle takes my breath away! :cloud9:

Just my :twocents:

Melanie
08-09-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm loving living so close to WDW and visiting often, but Disneyland holds a very special place in my heart. I'd miss Epcot greatly, so I'll always visit WDW, but after we move from here, I'm sure Disneyland will be more of a destination for me (especially after the California Adventure renovations are done). Disneyland Park itself handily trumps WDW's Magic Kingdom. Walt's presence is heavily felt. Go and don't compare. Just enjoy! :mickey:

BrerGnat
08-09-2010, 09:36 PM
So different. So, so different.

Disneyland, in my opinion, is WORLDS better than the MK at WDW. It feels so different. It's much more heavily themed (especially in Fantasyland and New Orleans Square!) in general. Upkeep is fabulous. CM's are top notch, and everyone always seems to be in a happy mood. I love the working vehicles on Main Street, the live singers and Ragtime piano player...the firehouse with Walt's apartment above. It's all like it "should" be. The Magic Shop and Penny Arcade (and Cinema) are all still there. There is a nice restaurant in the middle of Main Street. Overall, it FEELS like "a Main Street", instead of a glorified mall selling garbage merchandise.

As cramped as it is, I love DL's Adventureland. Feels so exotic, especially at night with the fire torches burning and all the overgrown foliage. I personally like DL's Jungle Cruise better. The Indiana Jones ride and Temple are there too, and that's an awesome ride!

New Orleans Square is very cool. Feels like a clean version of the real thing. ;) There's nothing like this at WDW...not even Port Orleans French Quarter comes close. As mentioned, Pirates is amazing at DL. Rather boring at WDW, I think. And, for whatever reason, they really know how to air condition the DL Pirates. That ride is FREEZING (and windy!) inside all the time. Really feels like you are in the stormy seas. I love the lead up to the actual Pirates part...going through the caverns and braving the "stormy seas" on the way to the port. It's very well done. :thumbsup: And, while some like the WDW's Haunted Mansion building better, I disagree. I think DL's is more of what a Haunted MANSION would look like. It looks like a plantation mansion, but it's full of ghosts. :D That's how I've always envisioned a haunted mansion...

Splash Mtn. is better at WDW. Ditto Thunder Mountain. They are both enjoyable enough at DL, but Splash, especially, is like a miniature pared down version of WDW's. The drop at the end is the same, but the interior is rather disappointing. More of DL's Splash takes place OUTDOORS.

I love the Sailing Ship Columbia that you can ride around the Rivers of America at DL. That is unique! And, at night, during Fantasmic, Peter Pan and Capt. Hook (and company) do battle on said ship...it's quite a stunning sequence. Fantasmic overall is WAY better at DL.

Fantasyland at DL is amazing. ALL the buildings are themed. The ground is themed. EVERYTHING is themed. There are lots of little touches on the buildings that I am STILL noticing...10 years into being a passholder...

Peter Pan at DL is better. It's longer at WDW, but more intricate at DL.

Small World is much better at DL since the refurb. As mentioned, at Holiday time, it's beautifully lit up with thousands of colored lights.

DL's Autopia is a different experience than the racecars at WDW. It's worth a try. Also, DL has Innoventions in Tomorrowland, along with Star Tours and Captain EO (or, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, depending on when you go).

Space Mtn...hands down, DL's is the only one worth riding, IMO.

I think every WDW fan owes it to him/herself to visit DLR at least once.

If you are thinking of coming, do so! But, wait until mid-late 2012, so you can experience all the new stuff at DCA too!

Oh, and let's not forget the fireworks show. DL's fireworks makes "Wishes" look like a small town 4th of July display. Really.

Melanie
08-09-2010, 09:59 PM
I will say I think Haunted Mansion at WDW is better. I like my southern mansions 'unhaunted'. That's the only comparable ride I "give" to WDW. :hmghost:

Mousemates
08-09-2010, 11:18 PM
To me DL has a much homier, small town feel to it than WDW...it almost has the feel of some of the smaller theme/amusement parks we visited around the country. It is also a magical place to visit at night...my all time favorite disney spot is to be on the outisde portion of the Alice in wonderland ride at dusk.

TikiLounger
08-10-2010, 10:47 AM
This thread reminds me that I really must visit DL, someday. I have to experience it's Space Mountain and PotC...I have to. Hmmm...maybe our next Disney fix will be in California.

Ian
08-10-2010, 11:15 AM
I will say I think Haunted Mansion at WDW is better. I like my southern mansions 'unhaunted'. That's the only comparable ride I "give" to WDW. :hmghost:Funny ... that's the only one I listed, as well.

Although, I do think I'm a bit biased against it because the first time I rode it was when it was done up for the Halloween NBC makeover which I thought was lame.

andreallybadeggs
08-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Love the vintage feel of DL. Think the fireworks show may have changed since we were there a few years back but sounds like it would be similar to what we saw. Well synchronized to lots of great Disney songs-- fantastic!

BrerGnat
08-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Funny ... that's the only one I listed, as well.

Although, I do think I'm a bit biased against it because the first time I rode it was when it was done up for the Halloween NBC makeover which I thought was lame.

That is a shame. I completely understand your position. I hate the NBC makeover too...

Joannelet
:ditto:

I sincerely wish I lived closer to Disneyland, because if I did I would rarely (if ever) waste my time in Disney World. It's such a different (and more rewarding, IMO) experience that the two just don't even compare.

From the very moment you enter Disneyland's Magic Kingdom and you look over to the firehouse on the left and realize that Walt himself slept there with his family ... that Walt essentially designed the entire park from top to bottom and that you're really for real walking in his footsteps you realize that the Disney World experience is pretty hollow by comparison.

Additionally, with the exception of maybe Haunted Mansion virtually all the attractions in DL that have counterparts in WDW are better or equal to them. Pirates is way better in DL, Fantasyland is much better overall with more/better attractions (and they still have Mr. Toad!!), you've got an extra coaster in the Matterhorn (which is a blast), plus the Nemo subs now. And really, overall, it's just a much more intimate experience that doesn't have the crassness and "money-grab" feeling of Disney World.

Now all that being said, there are some aspects of Disney World I like better ... the immersion in "Disney" is far more extensive in WDW than in DL. I love Epcot, which of course DL doesn't have. The wider variety of resorts to choose from is a big plus and the dining is far better in WDW than in DL.

But I'm a Disney purist. I feel like WDW lost its way years ago and yet you can still get the "real deal" Disney experience out in DL.

Just one man's opinion, though! :mickey:

I agree with you Ian on all accounts! :) I also want to add that their Tinkerbell in DL during the fireworks does sooo much more. My jaw dropped when I saw her. I really thought she was falling but she was flying up and down and side to side...I'd go back just to see that again! :)

BrerGnat
Love the vintage feel of DL. Think the fireworks show may have changed since we were there a few years back but sounds like it would be similar to what we saw. Well synchronized to lots of great Disney songs-- fantastic!

Nope, it's still the same, and it's an AMAZING show. Right now, they are doing the Summer Nighttastic show, which is not nearly as good, although it does feature a flying Dumbo in addition to Tinkerbell, so that's a bonus.

Melanie
08-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Funny ... that's the only one I listed, as well.

I don't mind the NBC makeover, but my opinion is based solely on the original version. I did not feel this way until the recent additions though. The staircase room and bride room, along with the mansion itself make WDW tops for me.

MaxPower
08-10-2010, 04:16 PM
I have to say that something that shocks many people if they have been to Florida's Magic Kingdom before ever going to Disneyland is the difference in the castles.

Sleeping Beauty's castle is Disneyland is unbelievably small when compared to Cinderella's castle in Florida.

Florida wins hands down in a castle-to-castle comparison.

Melanie
08-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Florida wins hands down in a castle-to-castle comparison.

That depends on what you're looking for. Just because it's taller doesn't mean it's better in everyone's opinion. The smaller Sleeping Beauty Castle in both DL and HKDL is more realistic to me.

In fact, of all Disney parks I've been to, Cinderella Castle at WDW is my least favorite. Although Tokyo's is almost identical to WDW, I like the whole presentation better in Tokyo (there are castle 'gardens' and outbuildings).

Mogie
08-11-2010, 12:14 PM
There is a HUGE difference. But one glaring similarity as well.

Similarity:
Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom are almost identical. DL is the original, and is also bigger and has more attractions and rides. For this reason alone I would say that DL is better than the MK.

Difference:
In no way is DL and CA Adventure, better than WDW and its 4 parks.

DL as a whole is small consisting only of DL and CA Adventure. They are right next to each other with Downtown Disney in between. There are only 3 hotels and age is showing in some of them. And there is something odd about CA Adv to me, it just doesn't feel like Disney.

Because of DL's size it is easy to fall out of the Disney immersion. Something you just cannot escape in WDW where you are surrounded by Disney every where you go, the hotel, the buses to the park, the monorail, the restaurants. You can spend a week or more there, when you can effectively see Disneyland in 2 days.

The biggest difference was the cleanliness and the Cast Members. WDW is spotless, decorations are extravagant, and I have never met a rude or unhelpful Cast Member. In DL on the other hand (I went in early December) and there were very few Xmas decorations compared to WDW, there was some visible trash and garbage on the ground and on benches, where they would quickly be whisked away without notice in WDW. In DL the Cast Members didn't seem quite into it, maybe it's the west coast, or maybe their training, but they were not the smiling bubbling eager to help Cast that there was in WDW.

WDW wins!

Ian
08-11-2010, 06:14 PM
There is a HUGE difference. But one glaring similarity as well.

Similarity:
Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom are almost identical. DL is the original, and is also bigger and has more attractions and rides. For this reason alone I would say that DL is better than the MK.

Difference:
In no way is DL and CA Adventure, better than WDW and its 4 parks.

DL as a whole is small consisting only of DL and CA Adventure. They are right next to each other with Downtown Disney in between. There are only 3 hotels and age is showing in some of them. And there is something odd about CA Adv to me, it just doesn't feel like Disney.

Because of DL's size it is easy to fall out of the Disney immersion. Something you just cannot escape in WDW where you are surrounded by Disney every where you go, the hotel, the buses to the park, the monorail, the restaurants. You can spend a week or more there, when you can effectively see Disneyland in 2 days.

The biggest difference was the cleanliness and the Cast Members. WDW is spotless, decorations are extravagant, and I have never met a rude or unhelpful Cast Member. In DL on the other hand (I went in early December) and there were very few Xmas decorations compared to WDW, there was some visible trash and garbage on the ground and on benches, where they would quickly be whisked away without notice in WDW. In DL the Cast Members didn't seem quite into it, maybe it's the west coast, or maybe their training, but they were not the smiling bubbling eager to help Cast that there was in WDW.

WDW wins!That's so funny, because I could not disagree more. My experience has been the polar oppposite.

BrerGnat
08-11-2010, 07:21 PM
That's so funny, because I could not disagree more. My experience has been the polar oppposite.

As has mine. As a LONG time DL passholder and visitor approximately once a waek for the past 6 years...

Sorry, but DL wins in friendliness of CMs, cleanliness, and maintenance/upkeep. Going once in December, during an insanely busy time, is not a good way to make sweeping generalizations about DL as a whole.

And for the record, DL is not bigger, size wise, than the MK at WDW. MK is much larger in size (acreage, I'm talking here). DL probably has more attractions, when you count them all, but the space they are in is noticeably smaller than the Magic Kingdom.

Disneyland park (inside the berm) is approx 60 acres.

WDW's Magic Kingdom is 107 acres.

badkitty
08-11-2010, 08:10 PM
As has mine. As a LONG time DL passholder and visitor approximately once a waek for the past 6 years...

Sorry, but DL wins in friendliness of CMs, cleanliness, and maintenance/upkeep. Going once in December, during an insanely busy time, is not a good way to make sweeping generalizations about DL as a whole.

And for the record, DL is not bigger, size wise, than the MK at WDW. MK is much larger in size (acreage, I'm talking here). DL probably has more attractions, when you count them all, but the space they are in is noticeably smaller than the Magic Kingdom.

Disneyland park (inside the berm) is approx 60 acres.

WDW's Magic Kingdom is 107 acres.

Total agreement from me as well. Although I can't go once a week (I would if I could!), I do make as many trips as I can down I-5 each year. For me, DL wins hands down.

As for HM, I love that the haunted room actually stretches "down". :secret:

DL fits so much into a very tight space. I love going "up" the waterfall at Pirates. I love the Fantasyland buildings that actually make it look like a little village and rides you can't find at WDW especially Casey Jr. and the Storybook boats. I love Indy and that Space Mt. is way better with music! I love that DL still has the canoes and Mr Toad. I love the "extras" in Alice and the Matterhorn, Roger Rabbit and It's a Small World at Christmas. Magical.

I remember on my first trip to WDW, we didn't spend very much time at the MK because my mom said we had everything back home in CA. (Of course back then, the park stopped at POTC!) I have come to enjoy and appreciate the MK though as a completely different experience.

Hammer
08-12-2010, 12:27 AM

WDW wins!

That's so funny, because I could not disagree more. My experience has been the polar oppposite.

Don't worry, Mogie, I'm in your corner on this one! My CM experiences for both trips I took to DL were nothing like what Ian or Natalie describe and more like what you experienced. Many of the CM's were either aloof, unwilling to help or just rude.

Now, before anyone jumps down my throat, I did have a nice time on my trips to DL, just not as much fun as my WDW trips. I loved the Matterhorn, New Orleans Square, and Pirates there. However, I really didn't like Splash in DL. I do not like that seating configuration (feel the same way about Space Mountain in WDW). I'm uncomfortable for the whole ride with my legs in that position. Also, for the life of me, I do not get why people have such an attachment to Mr. Toad! After I rode it again in DL, I turned to my friend and said "People are upset about losing this ride? Really?".

I will give Disneyland a 3rd chance at some point, but my expectations aren't really that high.

JPL
08-12-2010, 01:20 AM
I have been to DL 3 times and overall had a great time they are different enough that it is worth the trip and yet very familiar. I think what really makes DL's MK better is simply knowing that Walt was directly involved with a lot of the decisions and attractions. It also has a lot more attractions than WDW's Magic Kingdom and many unique experiences or better experiences compared to the WDW versions. As for the CMs I have had some negative experiences on both coasts but overall I give the edge to WDW since I actually almost got into a fist fight with a DL CM on one trip LOL!

Mogie
08-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Hmm...interesting opinions. Obviously every one has different experiences.

We were in DL in early December when the crowds were very light and still noticed a difference. I'd definitely go back if I was in CA near LA for a day, but definitely would not plan a week long vacation around it like I would for WDW.

The other thing i noticed about DL was that the crowds were much older. In WDW you see trains of carriages and smiling, laughing...and screaming and crying kids...where as in DL I noticed that the majority were teenagers, as if it was a place to hang out after school in the afternoons and weekends if you live in Anaheim. There are suburbs right outside the park after all.

Interesting...

Melanie
08-12-2010, 11:01 AM
The other thing i noticed about DL was that the crowds were much older. In WDW you see trains of carriages and smiling, laughing...and screaming and crying kids...where as in DL I noticed that the majority were teenagers, as if it was a place to hang out after school in the afternoons and weekends if you live in Anaheim.

I've always found that to be true as well.

MickeysEars
08-12-2010, 11:47 AM
There is not really anything to add, you guys covered it all. But Thank you, I am from Ca and grew up going to DL countless times, and I miss it so much. The only thing I can add is the resturant in Pirates at DL, it is one of the best experiences ( I compare it to the resturant in Mexico in Epcot where the boats go past and the view is mazing) Thanks for the reminders of of some of my happiest childhood memories!

Oh and hands down there is no comparing Fantasmic at DL to WDW...DL's Fantasmic makes me cry everytime I see it

CaptSmee
08-13-2010, 11:31 PM
I have been going to WDW my lifetime, and just visited DL for the 1st time last year. They are VASTLY different. Several people have stated the same, but the themeing and engineering involved at DL is AMAZING compared to WDW. WDW is much more open and spread out because it has with all the extra space available. DL literally seems like it has utilized every available space even pushing the boundaries of the park (they are sloped upwards outside the train tracks like trenches to masque the outside areas).

At DL Main Street itself is much better (IE the shops, entertaiment, attractions) but the ambiance coming down WDW's is better (larger castle, no other views).

Tomorrowland in WDW is more enjoyable to me, but Space Mountain at DL is much better. Everything else I enjoy more at WDW than DL. Buzz Lightyear, COP, TTA are some of my favs.

Mickey's Toontown is a joke at WDW compared to DL's version. No wonder they are removing it and expanding Fantayland.

Fantasyland at DL BLOWS AWAY WDW Fantasyland. I can't stand IASW at WDW, but LOVE it at DL! Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Snow White...all the dark rides at DL's Fantasyland are so much better than the lack of at WDW. Only thing missing is Philharmagic, which would be a welcome additon at DL.

Fontierland at DL is also much more enjoyable. The Diamond Horseshoe Revue is still hosting Billy Hill & the Hillbilly's. Big Thunder was more enjoyable to me at DL. Also you have the Mark Twain & the Sailing Ship Columbia to choose from. Fantasmic was awesome at DL.

Adventureland at DL is another big win over WDW. The Tiki room is 100 times better than the WDW version. Jungle Cruise was better. They have Indiana Jones, which is an incredible ride.

The misc lands are hit or miss between the 2 parks. While New Orleans Square is a masterpiece housing 2 of the greatest attractions ever created, Critter Country is pretty lame. Splash Mtn was fun, but shorter than it's east coast counterpart. Winnie the Pooh was not memorable at all.

Liberty Square at WDW tries to be as exciting as New Orleans Square is at DL but doesn't quite succeed. Hall of Presidents is a great attraction with Haunted Mansion, but it can't compete with DL's themeing & the 1-2 punch of Pirates & HM.

The Railroad Station at WDW is much better than DL, but the Railroad ride at DL is superior (Grand Canyon & Primeval World dioramas).

The parades at DL seem to typically be better, albeit WDW steals the show with it's evening parade (whether it's Spectro or MSE). Fireworks at DL seem to be better.

I love both parks immensely, but there are definitely as many similarities as there are differences. Just knowing that Walt was standing on the same street that you visit is sentimental to me, and you can notice his personal touches at DL that seem to be lacking at WDW.

Melanie
08-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Tomorrowland in WDW is more enjoyable to me, but Space Mountain at DL is much better. Everything else I enjoy more at WDW than DL. Buzz Lightyear, COP, TTA are some of my favs.

Buzz Lightyear at WDW being superior is another one I have to disagree with. Astro Blasters is a much a better ride with removable guns and variable target shapes. My boys don't even want to ride at WDW anymore after being spoiled at Disneyland and in Tokyo.

AllDisney
08-14-2010, 02:16 PM
We like Pirates, Fantasmic & Small World better at Disneyland.

The ride that they don't have at WDW, and wish they did, is the Indiana Jones Ride. The ride had just opened when we made the trip out there. It was the first ride of the day. We waited 2 hours to ride it & were not disappointed at all. Later in the day we waited for another 1.5 hours to do it all over again. The park was closing that morning @ 1:00AM. We looked at our watches....it was 12:58. The CM said that we could still get on. We walked right on & had the chance to ride 3 TIMES. Best ride EVER:number1:

The atmosphere is different, special, amazing. Nothing like it in the world than to walk the streets that Walt himself did!

Greenlawler
08-15-2010, 01:24 AM
Just my two cents.

I have been to both parks multiple times.

I agree with many of the sentiments....

-Rides at DL on the whole are better.
-I like the randomness of the character appearences at DL. They throw character fans some rare ones out more often. Plus the characters are more apt to be playful and less controlled. The lines for characters do seem shorter at DL, its like the guests are less worried about them there. Of course this is probably becuase of the rigidness at DW where CM's are constantly cutting off lines. This however does have some drawbacks...more on that later.
-Atmosphere edge goes to DL as well. The history and decore are just better.
-Everything at DW seems so caluculated. It seems silly to say that DW's organization superiority (to me) is a bad thing but I think it is.
-This is the big one....I love how California Adventure is just a walk across the junction to DL. So convienant and not like the bus rides or twenty minute walks to the car and thirty to forty minutes of travel, park, and entrace to another DW park. Feels like an ordeal at DW and a brief walk at DL.
-Fantasmic at DL is even "awesomer" than the DHS version.
-I really think this one is key as well. I know people make decisions based on THEIR INDIVIDUAL EXPERIANCES, but I have found the CM'S at DL less worried about red tape. Not really any nicer. That is like saying people in California are nicer than Florida. You cannot make judgements like that. Unless your talking about Tennessee where everyone is nice (wink, wink). In fact the rudest least helpful CM I have ever ran across was at DL (she was probably having a bad day) but it seems to me CM'S at DW have to watch their P's and Q's. From my experiance this makes them less apt to be helpful (although there are plenty of helpful DW CM's, exceptions to every rule). The CM's at DL however seem to know they have a little more lattitude and will help you make special memories. CM's at DW often are handcuffed becuase of the structure. I have been told hundreds of times information like a recited script at DW. When I say "but what about this?"....whatever it is, they recite the same gobledygook because they are supposed to.

However
-Obviously having Epcot, AK, Water Parks, and DHS help give more to do at DW.
- I enjoy Main Street and the Castle more at DW, although I love how DL's Town Sqaure area feels bigger.
- I have found the Parties at DW are supperior. We went to MNSSHP and DL's Mickey's Halloween Treat in the same week two years ago and it was not even close, MNSSHP is way better (although it should change more often).
-Fireworks at MK are also way better.
-I am a sucker for HofP and CBJ miss them at DL.
-There are better dinning options at DW and the various resorts at DW by sheer numbers. They provide varity that DL cannot match.
-While I like the random characters at DL better...you never know whose coming out. I HATE how they have no real lines for the characters and its like a dogfight to get a picture, with three kids its very irritating to watch people jump in front of you constantly and its hard on the kids as well. The characters themselves may be a little less playful at DW but it does make the line go quicker. There are also more characters at DW.
-I am not sure if anyone mentioned this, but the fastpass system at DW is better as well. Funny how a few of the longer line DL rides do not have fast passes (i.e. TSM).

If I went to DL as often as I do DW I think I would feel differently.

But I would choose DL over MK.

However, edge DW over DL as a whole.

CaptSmee
08-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Buzz Lightyear at WDW being superior is another one I have to disagree with. Astro Blasters is a much a better ride with removable guns and variable target shapes. My boys don't even want to ride at WDW anymore after being spoiled at Disneyland and in Tokyo.

I liked the removable guns, but the ride itself I like better at WDW. The targets seemed easier to hit in WDW (maybe my familiarity) as well as the trigger seems to fire more rapidly in WDW. To me there seemed to be more of a delay after hitting the target for points to register & next shot to take place. Just my opinion...everyone's got one