PDA

View Full Version : AK/MK order

andreallybadeggs
08-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Only one day to spend park hopping (with extra magic hours) next Weds. with nephews ages 11 & 8. One really wants to go to DS, the other really wants to go to AK, but neither likes the idea of missing MK so we are trying to hit most of their favorites at all 3 parks. They will be able to take advantage of morning emh at studios so will start there for a few hours-- probably leave about 11 am. Question is, what next? Would it be better to do AK and finish at MK do MK and then AK? Both parks close at the same time-- 10 pm. Normal hours at MK that night, closing at 10 pm. AK closes at 7 pm with evening emh till 10. Haven't experienced pm emh at AK and since they don't go into the wee hours of the morning am wondering if it will be crazy crowded for those 3 hours. If so, might be better to finish on a normal evening at MK ???? Thanks Intercotees.

Strmchsr
08-06-2010, 10:59 AM
EMH at AK usually isn't too crowded, but a lot of things close at that time.

The weather is the biggest concern. Next week the heat index will be well over 100 and there's nothing "inside" to do at AK. Plus with all of the plant life AK tends to be much more humid than the other parks, which makes it absolutely miserable in the heat of the day. Generally this time of the year I don't recommend anyone do the "park commando" plan and not take a break. The risk of heat exhaustion/stroke is just way too high. Doing 3 parks non-stop in this kind of heat and humidity I'm not sure will end up being much fun for anyone.

MK would be better in terms of crowds and attractions in the evening, but it has some places where you can slip inside and cool off so if you must do all 3 in one day I would do DHS, MK, AK in that order and save AK for the "coolest" part of the day. Just keep in mind that going to AK in the evening probably means you'll miss the safari and other wildlife stuff because that usually closes early.

andreallybadeggs
08-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Thanks Strmchsr... good food for thought. Guess I should've mentioned that a resort break is planned so they really will just be hitting perhaps 2-3 rides/attractions max at each park. We've experienced WDW in the summer heat and realize the need for a break and staying hydrated. The boys are thinking they can rest in the cool car as their cousin chauffeurs them from park to park as well. :D
We don't laminate our plans but always try to have a sketch and this is what we were thinking:

8-11am DHS (an hour btwn parks)
12-4 pm AK or MK
4-6 pm return to resort for pool and/or rest + an hour to get to/into 3rd park
7-10 pm AK or MK

Think the dinosaur ride is the priority for the 8 yr. old. Since that has an indoor queue it should be OK anytime of day. Not sure how they would feel about missing the safari. They'll have to choose their top 2 priorities at both AK and MK and we'll plan accordingly. The good news is there will be no rush the next day so they can recuperate after that marathon.
Thanks for the input!

magicofdisney
08-06-2010, 07:12 PM
I agree weather is the biggest factor. AK is just so stifleing especially with the heat index. All factors aside, my personal preference is MK in the evening.