PDA

View Full Version : When do they raise menu prices?

NokOnHarts
08-05-2010, 10:01 PM
With ticket prices going up recently, I am wondering if there is a time when Disney generally raises prices on food? Is it based on the restaurant's decision and happens randomly, or do prices seem to go up at a certain time in a year?

We're visiting in January and are planning on not doing the DDP this time. But hard to plan a budget for meals if prices may be quite different when we get there.

Any help/tips are welcome, thanks!

DizneyRox
08-06-2010, 06:56 AM
No time to go back to school and get degree in rocket sciences... :)

I'm actually not sure of the answer, but budgeting on food, I've found very difficult. I suspect the menu increases will go in around the first of the year. That's when the new DDP changes should hit and price adjustments may need to be made to maintain profits.

Make sure you take into account the holiday surcharges that may be in effect on January depending on when you are there.

NokOnHarts
08-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the reply

We're heading down Jan. 17-24 so I am hoping there won't be any holiday charges that late.

We are going to be doing CS mostly, but have made reservations at 3 Character Meals. I am hoping the prices don't rise (at least significantly) for these before we get there. Neither DDP makes sense (cost wise) when you're combining only a few TS with a majority of CS. Guess that means I just keep my fingers crossed that prices don't jump. :fingers:

From your remark about the DDP, does that mean packages will be come available any day now (Room/Tickets) but the cost of the DDP won't come out till much later for 2011 bookings? Seems odd.

DizneyRox
08-07-2010, 12:18 AM
No, the DDP is kindof set in stone for 2010 so the menu prices probably wont fluctuate too much this year. But if they need to raise the prices because say chicken is getting more expensive, that will drive a change to both the OOP costs AND the DDP.

The DDP price needs to be decided fairly soon so people can start booking their 2011 trips. I suspect there are a bunch of negotiations going on right now between restaurants etc all jockeying for a percentage of that DDP cost. Maybe the CS places want $15 for each credit redeemed and TS wants $30... They don't have too much longer to decide, unless they already have and are waiting for a good time to release it.

I think the price isn't going to change much, but well see decreased value in removal of some items (rumor is desserts). Maybe they will just take away the snacks. I really don't think they can get away with another price increase without people screaming!

TheRustyScupper
08-07-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm I suspect the menu increases will go in around the first of the year.

1) Menu changes occur when food prices jump.
2) Menmu items also change frequently.
3) There is not a set timing.
4) Of course, buffet "seasonal increases" are already set.

joonyer
08-08-2010, 05:05 PM
I was wondering for a minute if this was a trick question, and the answer is (obviously)

"Whenever thay want to." :D

Tekneek
08-08-2010, 05:11 PM
I had thought the largest jumps in prices for TS restaurants were introduced whenever a major menu revision is announced/released. You can probably count on paying more each year for less, based on what has been happening lately. I know it is vague, but should have that mindset from the start.