PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding EMH: AM vs PM

Giggy
08-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Hi, I started a thread similar to this recently but decided this could do with a new thread.

We are going to WDW in 3 weeks. :number1: We are staying offsite so aren't able to do EMH, as we have heard EMH parks tend to be busier we were looking to avoid them.

We arrive on August 25th for 2 weeks but our first day in the parks is 26th. We normally start at Magic Kingdom but we saw they have morning EMH on the 26th and evening EMH on the 27th. We agreed that we'd leave MK to the second day if it meant lighter crowds but don't want to leave it any later than that.

Option 1:
Thursday 26th: Magic Kingdom (AM EMH)
Friday 27th: EPCOT (no EMH)

Option 2:
Thursday 26th: Animal Kingdom (no EMH)
Friday 27th: Magic Kingdom (PM EMH)

If we avoided MK on our first day then AK would be our second choice. EPCOT on the other hand would be a good Day 2 park as they have evening EMH the day before. In theory MGM has EMH on Day 0 so would be lightest on Day 1, however we wanted to leave MGM until Toy Story Mania is open.

So the main question is this: are we better off avoiding AM or PM EMH days at Magic Kingdom? In either case we would likely be spending the whole day at MK.

lettripp
08-03-2010, 09:06 PM
My experience has been that PM EMH days are more crowded than AM EMH days. My theory is because more people take advantage of PM EMH because there are more hours to enjoy, and AM EMH can be difficult to wake up for if it has been a busy vacation. The only issue is that if you are early-park-goers, there will likely be more lines early in the day than you're used to.

lovinmesomedisney
08-04-2010, 08:28 AM
I would definitely choose the a.m. EMH. I actually avoid all EMH days, but I have gone to both in the past and the p.m. was waaaaaay more crowded. The a.m. was actually very nice if you get there at opening. We were able to accomplish a whole lot before the crowds started filtering in. Now, I just go in September to avoid the huge crowds all together. :)

42 Days!!!! Can't wait! :mickey:

KAT1811
08-04-2010, 09:35 AM
I actually avoid all EMH days,

:ditto:

I would say to avoid evening EMH as the late starters seem to flood the parks. Just be right there at the gates when they start allowing the general public in on the morning EMH day. Good luck!

BigThunderFan
08-04-2010, 11:05 AM
One other thing you may want to consider is that Thursday is also the evening parade at MK, the Main Street Electrical Parade is that night which will bring HUGE crowds to the park which was already crowded early due to EMH.

I definitely recommend Animal Kingdom on your first day.

If your family can be at MK on Friday at rope drop, then I recommend that day. Even though it will be busy later, most of those people won't show up until later in the day because the park is open late. You will have lots of time to do your park touring that morning and collect fast passes for later in the day when it is busier. If you have a good plan you can get everything done by 2pm and still have fastpasses for later, or do shows/slower rides that can get you into the A/C when it is really hot in the middle of the day! :thumbsup:

mrmcgiv
08-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Seriously? I though AM EMH were the busiest.
We arrive next wed 8/11 and I planned our days considering that I would avoid AM EMH parks. We are not early people, but if we and the rest of the world is rolling in late day for eve EMHs I would rather avoid EMH all together or try to drag ourselves there for AM EMHs.

We do not have hoppers :(

Would you reowrk your plans. We will have 8 days wed-wed to tour. What parks are best what days. We will do each park for 2 days. We may feel done with AK in one day, if so we will just add an extra day at another park or stay at the resort. HELP! We have very few ADRs to work around so that is not a prob.

We planned to do MK Fri and Sun or MON. Yes or no??

mommy2maddi
08-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Just got back on Sat. and yes, PM EMH are waaaay more crowded. The park is busier all day after like noon because everyone goes to that park that day. It was my plan when I wrote our itinerary but I quickly realized and changed things around a bit. Morning EMH don't bring as many ppl b/c they don't want to get up early so they head to the park with the PM EMH instead. Good luck!