PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about these places...

darthmacho
08-03-2010, 05:57 PM
...that we're trying for the first time on our August trip! Down to 11 days on the countdown, as of this post! :mickey:

1. Boatwright's

2. Yak and Yeti (sit down)

3. Akershus (breakfast)

4. Le Cellier

5. Chefs Le France

6. 50's Prime Time

Your opinion doesn't have to be just about food. Tell me EVERYTHING! :mickey:

darthmacho
08-03-2010, 06:00 PM
oops. This was supposed to go in the dining forum. Sorry. Maybe soemone will move it...:blush:

cajundisneyfreak
08-03-2010, 07:33 PM
The only one I can comment on is 50's Prime Time.The setting is a 50's style kitchen.The waiter or waitress role play.Some of the things that can happen are you have to set the table,get fussed for putting elbows on table,my son had to sing Itsy Bitsy Spider to the people at the next table,my sister-in-law had to stand up & sing I'm a little teapot,etc.My other son didn't eat all his veggies.She brought him a plate of veggies with coolwhip,sprinkles,and a cherry on top for his dessert.We all had fun!!! The food is great!!!!! I highly recommend the fried chicken and peanut butter and jelly milkshakes.This restaurant is a must do every trip.:mickey:

whitney37354
08-03-2010, 08:10 PM
I can only comment on Akershus breakfast. The wait wasn't long. The atmosphere was nice; maybe a little dark. We didn't eat from the buffet, but the hot food was good, standard fare. We saw Belle for autograph & picture included in price, Cinderella, Snow White, Ariel, & Sleeping Beauty. Character interaction was good, but not as much as at Cindy's castle. It was great to already be in the park at rope drop &run with the crowd to Soarin' for Fastpasses!

ElenitaB
08-03-2010, 09:17 PM
I'll give a stab...

1. Boatwright's
We haven't been in years but I still miss their breakfasts. We had one of the nicest CMs ever serve our table there. The food is nothing overly fancy, but very good. And be sure to check out all the tools and such they have as decorations. We would go again? Absolutely!

2. Yak and Yeti
We ate lunch here a few years ago and really liked it. Their desserts are very good; don't missed the wontons and pineapple. :tasty: We have lunch reservations there again for our upcoming trip.

3. Akershus (breakfast)
Can't help you on this one at all. My prince wouldn't like it so we haven't been.

4. Le Cellier
Again... it's been years. The servers were wonderful but it's very crowded in there. And I may be in the minority but aside from the soup and pretzel breadsticks, I wasn't a fan.

5. Chefs Le France
This is a restaurant we enjoy: everything from the menu offerings to the atmosphere. And if you go at lunchtime, you might get a visit from a certain "little chef."

6. 50's Prime Time
This is a fun restaurant, but your experience is very dependent on your server. The food is not bad, and I agree that the fried chicken dinner is probably one of the best things offered there, besides the s'mores. I get a kick out of eating there because there are so many things that my mom still has in her kitchen (our house was built in the 50's).

See you there! :wave:

azcavalier
08-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Here's what we have experienced:

1. Boatwright's - Went here for dinner last year upon arrival to POR. Decor is very nice. Love teh half constructed boat hanging from the ceiling. My family enjoyed their meals. I ordered Jambalaya, and thought it was too dry. Couldn't finish it. We liked it, but it didn't "WOW" us. Don't know that we will go back. Maybe.

4. Le Cellier - Very nice, but since it is "The Cellar", it's a little dark, and feels like the ceilings are low. But that's just an illusion. Very good food. Love the cheese soup and the steaks. My wife loves the mousse for dessert. This is her favorite restaurant on property. Good service, but can be a little slow.

5. Chefs de France - Last trip we ate at four restaurants: California Grill, Brown Derby, Le Cellier, and here. My DW and I both enjoyed THIS meal more than either the California Grill or the Brown Derby. The food was great, the service was great, Remy came by and talked to us....everything was great. Now, the meal at the California Grill was really, really good, but we thought that this equaled it, for much less money.

6. 50's Prime Time - This is just fun. Good comfort food, and lots of it. The server can make or break it. They're supposed to help you "mind your manners" by telling you to keep your elbows off the table, or make you eat your veggies. If they don't, then it's just a 50's themed restaurant. But it is good.

Mickey91
08-04-2010, 09:39 AM
1. Boatwright's ~ Has been a few years since we ate there. I can't remember details but I do remember we loved it and the atmosphere was really neat. Maybe my DH will be able to tell you more.

2. Yak and Yeti ~ Haven't tried it yet.

3. Akershus ~ Haven't been yet. We will also try this the first time in a couple weeks! We will be there for dinner. Can't wait!:mickey:

4. Le Cellier ~ We have mixed reviews on this one. We love the bread selection, the atmosphere is kind of cool if a bit crowded, we have had excellent to bad service, the food has always been very good. For your first time, with no expectations going in, you will probably love it!

5. Chefs Le France ~ Never tried it

6. 50's Prime Time ~ We love this one! The 50's setting with the kitchen counters and 50's TV shows playing in a continual loop is just amazing. You do have to go in ready to have fun. You will be served by your aunt or cousin. They make sure you wash your hands, keep your elbows off the table, no hats at the table, eat your veggies, etc. They have no problem pointing out your bad behavior to all your other cousins seated around the restaurant. Just roll with it and you will have a blast! Also, your server can be a dud and not be as much fun as they should. So, if this happens, enjoy the antics around you and give it another try next trip. The food is more home cooked fair. Which honestly, we find refreshing after chicken and fries and steak all week. My favorite is the Pot Roast. (Your little ones can usually sub a vegie they WILL eat for whatever comes with the meal already.) Enjoy!

KAT1811
08-04-2010, 09:45 AM
I can only comment on 50's, Le Cellier, and Akershus . . .

50's Prime Time Cafe:

We did it a few times years back but was very disappointed in the food. We really didn't care for it. The servers can be fun if you get one that plays along. Some are very entertaining and others are blah. We haven't been back in years and I can say that we are still not in a rush to get back.

Le Cellier:

This used to be one of our favorite restaurants but the food and service has declined over the years, especially the service. On our last trip to the restaurant, a couple years ago, our server was rude and after that I swore I'd never go back and haven't. For a good steak we now go to the Yachtsman.

Akershus (breakfast):

If you get an early ADR, before park opening, the walk in EPCOT with the park almost empty alone makes it worth it. The food is mediocre at best but the princesses are wonderful. Our girls loved it! It is certainly one of those places you go for the characters, not the food. That being said we'd do it again.

Dragongirlx
08-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Le Cellier - Been here a few times and never had a bad meal or service. It is dark and can be crowded but the food is worth it - especially the cheese soup and pretzel bread.

Chefs de France - I was only here once and that was my first year at Disney. While the food was really nice the service wasn't great. The waiter from Paris was rude and made fun of my sister for not being able to pronouce something perfectly and they mixed up my sister and my order ( we are twins so that can happen) but most people would just ask.

Prime time cafe - Again only been here once but had a really good time. Mom who served us acting exactly like my own mother which was a little disturbing but very funny. The food wasn't the best I have ever had but it wasn't the worst either. The atmosphere was more than worth it.

mommy2maddi
08-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Love the 50's PRIMETIME. It's funny how the waitresses make you set your own table and introduce you to the new people who sit down as your cousins. The food was good too. The fried chicken was to die for! It's a definite must do on our list now!!!

andreallybadeggs
08-07-2010, 12:22 AM
We've done all of these
1. Boatwright's-- Ate here last trip. Food was pretty good Our server was SO nice. Enjoyed the experience.

2. Yak and Yeti (sit down) Loved the decor and thought the food was pretty good; we enjoyed doing something different.

3. Akershus (breakfast) Food was OK. Princess interaction for a birthday was our goal and we achieved that.

4. Le Cellier I'm one of "those people" that has always thought this restaurant is overrated. It was OK but I don't fret that the ADR's are hard to come by. We wouldn't mind returning but we don't feel cheated by skipping it.

5. Chefs Le France We like this one. Food isn't as good as what you get in France but we think it's better than many of the other WS choices.

6. 50's Prime Time Just wrote about this one. Like the food when we are in the mood for home cooking. First 2 experiences with the server interaction were fun. Last time there was a bad experience due to a surly "cousin"

#1donaldfan
08-07-2010, 10:03 AM
I can comment on three:

1. Boatwrights : Great food with a "down home" flavor. Home cookin' at it's best. Great service, wonderful atmosphere, and good portions.

2. Yak n Yeti: Best place to eat at ANY Disney eatery !!! Over the years we've had about all their selections and I don't remember one complaint !!!! Superb service, over the top portions, and a perfect atomsphere !!!

3. 50's : Great concept, however it fell way short of our expectations. The food was ok, the portions were "adequate"...just make sure your server wants to "play the part"......

elmjimmlm
08-09-2010, 02:37 PM
1. Boatwright's---Great food and missing a greater breakfast

2. Yak and Yeti (sit down)---We go every trip...The skirt steak is sooooo good...

4. Le Cellier---Another great meal...You could make a meal out of the pretzel bread alone...Very quiet and very "non Disney like" restaurant...A great place to get away...

5. Chefs Le France---I dont know yet but this is next on our list...:thumbsup:

6. 50's Prime Time---We had such a good time there...I cant remember much about our meal but our "cousin" was great...He made our meal so much fun...

Have a great trip!!!:mickey: