PDA

View Full Version : Bed Rails and Sofa Beds

MidnTPK
08-03-2010, 08:38 AM
On my next trip, my daughter should be in a bed (she's still in a crib at home). I'll be in a DVC 1 BR unit, which only has one bed in the bedroom, so I imagine she'll be sleeping on the sofa bed.

How do bed rails work with sofa beds? Can they be installed? Do I need to request a rollaway with be rails?

Thanks.

DizneyRox
08-03-2010, 10:18 AM
We used the bed rails recently at AKLV, they fit both the sofa bed and the smaller chair bed they have. Found the chair was better without as much room, we placed a cushion against the end of the chair and he slept like... well, like a baby!

They were adjustable from a large opening all the way to about 3 inches think. I wouldn't be concerned with them not fitting, I imagine most people use them on the sofa beds and not the normal bed.

diz_girl
08-03-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm facing a similar dilemma on my trip to Cape Cod this month. Bringing and installing bed rails seemed too cumbersome, so I looked around for some alternatives. One company sells inflatable bed rails, but I read iffy reviews about it.

So I found something else, called Bed Bug Bumpers. It's basically a long (about 20"), firm, triangular foam wedge that fits under the sheet of the bed. Also, it doesn't slip. There's no inflation or installation necessary. You can buy as many wedges as you need. You can try to fit the wedges in your luggage or give them their own separate bag.

I haven't tried it yet, as DS is still in a crib (with a toddler rail) at home, so I can't say how well it works. But I think that I did hear about them on Intercot.

I think that you can only get them online. Just Google Bed Bug Bumpers. The Website is gobedbug dot com (can't post a link).

Good luck.

MidnTPK
08-03-2010, 10:45 AM
he slept like... well, like a baby!

I work at one of the financial firms that was greatly impacted by the housing bust. One of the bosses around here had a running joke about how he was sleeping at night.

He would say he sleeps like a baby: he cries and cries until he's too exhausted to cry any more.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.

KAT1811
08-03-2010, 08:28 PM
You should be just fine. The bed rails tuck in under the mattress. We have a child using bed rails almost every trip (we have 4 ;)) and we have never had any trouble!

ginger19
08-04-2010, 12:05 PM
My daughter was 4 and still slept with a rail on her twin bed so we were nervous. With the sleeper sofa we just took the mattress off and put it on the floor and she did just fine there.