PDA

View Full Version : Project Runway Season 8

NotaGeek
07-30-2010, 12:39 PM
WOW .. I can't believe it premiered last night and I missed it AND I didn't TiVo it! I had to get my cable box replaced and I lost all my set recordings! BUMMER ... I have to reset Project Runway and about a million others.

Did anyone watch?

dobby2010
07-30-2010, 01:08 PM
I watched it. I thought it was pretty good, seems to be a few people that have a lot of talent. It will be interesting to see what happens. Not a big fan of the new 90 minute format as it just meant more boring garnier hair salon and loreal makeup room moments. You can watch whole episodes on lifetime's website, not sure how soon they post them, but its fairly soon after they premiere.

Melanie
07-30-2010, 03:27 PM
I tried, but fell asleep. The opening was different with intros by Heidi and Tim, and then "Real World" type initial meetings. I need to try and catch a rerun at some point.

PirateLover
07-31-2010, 01:44 PM
I was away but it should be DVRd.. I did not realize it was premiering until about 2 days ago when I was watching something on Lifetime and caught a commercial.

Niecyboo
07-31-2010, 09:53 PM
I love Project Runway but keep forgetting about it on Lifetime! I didn't realized I'd missed it until I read this thread. Luckily I found it this afternoon and have DVRd it for later.

lovewalt
08-01-2010, 12:12 AM
What?!?!? I also compeletely missed this.I guess it wasn't very heavily promoted.

TheDuckRocks
08-01-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm glad I caught it as this season appears to have some interesting people, both good and bad. Well, time will tell and hopefully they will be a more interesting group than last season.

KarenP
08-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Seems to be an interesting group this time. So far I like it.

PirateLover
08-27-2010, 01:14 AM
This season of Project Runway is definitely bringing the drama or DRAMZ as some of these internet kids are saying. I like having the extra time, I feel like we get to see a lot more behind the scenes stuff in the work room and while they are waiting for judging results.
GRETCHEN WOW. What a psycho. She talks smack about everyone and basically designs her own line, using the other designers to do her bidding. She is shocked to lose and then has everyone swear to go up with a united front (to save her own butt I'm sure). So she puts on quite a show with the crying and saying how everyone works so hard... only to backpedal so fast I think she broke her bicycle chain. She basically called the collection "Grandma" and "ugly". Well wait weren't you the one creating "Grandpa" sweaters... yet you just now realize it looks like grandma? Please honey. And then all that throwing Michael under the bus. She got exposed big time and I hope the designers remain super careful of her from now on.

Cassanova ay yi yi. At first I didn't get him, but now I embrace him. He is kind of like Kayne from a few seasons ago. Definitely wacky and maybe not as talented as some of the others but I want him to stay because he makes me laugh.

TheDuckRocks
08-27-2010, 01:11 PM
:thumbsup: Maryanne!:thumbsup:
I agree with everything you said. Only thing I'd like to add, I wish Gretchen would have gone home. What a bad word. And to top it off, in her last remarks she still doesn't get it and continues to blame everyone else.:mad:

Niecyboo
08-30-2010, 11:30 PM
WOW. You know Gretchen was horrible when she actually got Tim angry. That has happened so rarely on this show, that when it does it means something (yet she still didn't get it). It will be interesting to see the interaction between her and Tim next week. I can only think of one other time that he got mad at a designer. When I watched it, they had a commercial for next week that showed Gretchen, so I knew she wasn't going home before the show was over, but boy I wanted her to.

PirateLover
09-10-2010, 10:02 PM
I was glad that Mondo came around with Michael C. and realized that the way everyone was acting towards him was really catty and mean. I did not like the winning garment at ALL. I thought it looked like a negligee. I will miss Cassanova, wish Ivy would've been sent packing. Michael D. may have done a poor sewing job, but she gave him no direction. I thought Cassanova's looked cute and at least had a bit of style and shape to it! oh well.

Tick-Tock
09-30-2010, 02:35 PM
According to the Denver Post, Mondo and Michael C. are co-hosting a viewing party and fundraiser in Denver tonight. A silent auction for some of Mondo's designs (and those of other contestants as well). I may have to go check it out!

PirateLover
10-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Wow, again I don't know if it is the editing or what but I just don't get all the hatred still lingering for Michael C. I thought that once Mondo warmed up to him in the team challenge that most of the designers saw him in a new light. Ivy was really mean and you could absolutely hear every bit of jealousy and bitterness in her voice. How many times can she accuse one person of cheating only for there to be no evidence of it? And I think she even accused him of bullying... if anything this seems the other way around. I was also kind of surprised that no one really stood up for Mike and told Ivy just to shut up. I loved it when Tim came in... this is the 2nd time this season where I feel that he's let his personal opinion clearly show. He was totally shooting daggers at Ivy during his little speech. I just had to smile. I really didn't like her or any of her designs and I'm so glad she's gone.

White Rose
10-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Wow, again I don't know if it is the editing or what but I just don't get all the hatred still lingering for Michael C. I thought that once Mondo warmed up to him in the team challenge that most of the designers saw him in a new light. Ivy was really mean and you could absolutely hear every bit of jealousy and bitterness in her voice. How many times can she accuse one person of cheating only for there to be no evidence of it? And I think she even accused him of bullying... if anything this seems the other way around. I was also kind of surprised that no one really stood up for Mike and told Ivy just to shut up. I loved it when Tim came in... this is the 2nd time this season where I feel that he's let his personal opinion clearly show. He was totally shooting daggers at Ivy during his little speech. I just had to smile. I really didn't like her or any of her designs and I'm so glad she's gone.

:ditto:

I thought I didn't like Gretchen. Boy, Ivy just got worse and worse! I'm still slightly enraged on Michael C's behalf. I was shocked that Mondo didn't say anything to Ivy when she was talking to him about Michael C., but, like you said, it may have been the editing. I don't know why people didn't like Michael C.--he was never overly mean or anything that I can remember. I think it was just pure jealousy.

Tim coming in was PRICELESS and I personally enjoyed the look that Ivy had the minute he entered and mentioned cheating. She looked completely flabbergasted and unsure of herself. I laughed a bit when Ivy mentioned a bunch of stuff about karma and then managed to have that piece of needle or something fly into her eye in the sewing room. The camera capturing Michael C. laughing was kinda entertaining too.

All in all, very intense and drama-filled episode.

TheDuckRocks
10-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Gretchen!!!:ack::ack::ack: Ivy is horrible too, but she's gone. How can Gretchen not realize going up against Heidi is a no win situtation? Had to laugh at the one garment the young blonde chickie made with the see through fabric at the bust line. Just the casual wear outfit every young mother needs for grocery shopping while trying to corral small kids. Peek a boo!:funny::rotfl:

PirateLover
10-24-2010, 01:20 PM
I am rooting for Mondo. I don't really like Gretchen or Andy's styles. I was surprised that the judges put Andy through over Michael based on the 3 pieces they showed. Oh well. I don't like the whole idea of eliminating people just before the fashion week show. Pick your 3 finalists and go with it, don't torture someone just for drama.

TheDuckRocks
10-25-2010, 04:40 PM
I didn't realize that "granola" is the new word for ugly, dull, uninspired, :sick: colored garments.
Gosh, I hope she doesn't win.
Go, Mondo!:thumbsup:

lynnek
10-25-2010, 06:54 PM
Totally agree with PP. I watch it the next day with my 10 yr old--we really love this show! We like to make yearly trips to Mood Fabrics--of course the clothes don't come out as fabulous as what is on the show, but it's fun! My 10 yr olds favorite challenge was the drag queen challenge--imagine explaining that one:D After that, I thought I had gotten through any potentially shocking moments for her...and then along comes Gretchen....watching DD1 on the couch, mouth open in shock by Gretchen's opinions of herself.....priceless...We are Mondo fans, but Michael C was also a favorite.

PirateLover
10-26-2010, 07:40 PM
At this point, I am more excited for the reunion than the actual finale. I want to see ice queen Ivy get some more comeuppance.

PirateLover
10-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Well the reunion turned out to be very lackluster, and I'm disappointed that Mondo didn't get the win. I'm not so sure that Gretchen's earth mother 70s inspired look is really all that "fashion forward"

TheDuckRocks
10-30-2010, 06:02 PM
What really bothered me about Gretchen's win was Nina and Michael Kors repeatedly going on and on about her being "current". Shouldn't a designer be ahead of the pack? I think I could spend a couple of hours online and come up with a "current" collection. Their negetive comments about Mondo being "too junior" also baffled me. As the old lady here on Intercot, I could still see items in his collection that could easily be adjusted to be age appropriate for even me. Do not get this win!

Nini
10-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Their negetive comments about Mondo being "too junior" also baffled me. As the old lady here on Intercot, I could still see items in his collection that could easily be adjusted to be age appropriate for even me. Do not get this win!

I couldn't agree more! Think back to past winners - Christian Soriano comes to mind - I don't remember any of them being concerned with whether or not "older" women could wear their things.

And about Gretchen winning, was it her or someone else that they were chastizing earlier in the season for making clothes that could be hanging in any department store, and then gave this as a reason she should win!?!

I don't get it either - they say they want "a show" and then reward blandness. I obviously think Mondo should have won, but I'm sure he'll have a brilliant career.

Denise

LittleSpirit02
10-31-2010, 11:15 AM
I was so disappointed Gretchen won... not sure how that happened. She should've got the "out" after the feathered renaissance "couture" dress...

Mondo is innovative, fresh, creative and making things no one has done before instead of rehasing the 70s hippie look.

I'd say either way Mondo will have a good future in design.

PirateLover
10-31-2010, 03:05 PM
Also I think it's funny how it was the two "experts" (Nina and Michael Kors) vs two women who wear the fashions. Both Heidi and Jessica (who by the way did a much better job than I thought she would) were praising Mondo's looks and saying they would wear them and Michael and Nina were basically saying "No, we tell you what you wear, you don't choose." And did anyone else think Jessica looked bad in that dress Michael Kors put her in?

NotaGeek
10-31-2010, 05:27 PM
Also I think it's funny how it was the two "experts" (Nina and Michael Kors) vs two women who wear the fashions. Both Heidi and Jessica (who by the way did a much better job than I thought she would) were praising Mondo's looks and saying they would wear them and Michael and Nina were basically saying "No, we tell you what you wear, you don't choose." And did anyone else think Jessica looked bad in that dress Michael Kors put her in?

I think that Jessica has gained a lot of weight. Michael Kors designs for a size 6. Nina Garcia and Michael Kors do know what they are talking about -- both have made millions in the fashion industry -- I think Mondo was awesome -- but most of the stuff he was wearing would never been seen on the streets as a wearable line -- not that they were supposed to do that so to speak -- but the over all messages of this season seemed to be going back and forth -- I thought it was very good season with very talented folk -- except for Gretchen. I hated pretty much everything she designed. :ack:

PirateLover
10-31-2010, 11:52 PM
I think that Jessica has gained a lot of weight. Michael Kors designs for a size 6. Nina Garcia and Michael Kors do know what they are talking about -- both have made millions in the fashion industry --

I know Jessica is heavier than she was in her heyday but there are ways to design flattering outfits for a full figured woman. As a matter of fact, that has been a PR challenge in the past. I think he could've put her in a better design. And it's not a question of whether they know what they are talking about- flipping through the women's catalogs I get in the mail there are many styles similar to Gretchen's. Loose, flowy, earth tones etc are very "in"...But, I thought the show was about finding a WOW designer, not the next off the rack at Macy's designer. I think that Michael and Nina were more "impressed" with Gretchen partly because she took their advice. I think they even said that at some point-"She listened to us." But Mondo made no changes. I think Kors was actually offended that he dared to send down that Polka Dot dress, unchanged ;)

White Rose
11-04-2010, 12:54 AM
Ugh, it's been a week and I'm still bitter that Gretchen won. Like most, I feel like Mondo really did deserve it the most, but I seriously would have been okay with ANYONE ELSE winning except Gretchen.

While I admit this season was good and entertaining, they really need to work on what the purpose/intention/message of Project Runway really is. Is it to find the most current designer, the best future designer? Do we want monotone, do we want color? I just felt like everything was so contradictory this season! They kept praising Mondo alll the time and when he finally presents his collection, they use the same words they used to praise him to criticize him. :confused: It just made no sense to me.

I think Gretchen has a future as a designer, but I think PR in the end is going to be disappointed in her overall popularity and design. One entertaining example already is they put up three items for sale from each of the finalists' collections. Apparently, Mondo's all sold out in a 24 hour period, Andy sold out of two of his looks, and Gretchen's were still slowly being sold.

In the end, I can see it may be better that Mondo didn't win PR. He'll get to make his own path and not be tied down to a contract/obligations. Sort of how winning American Idol is cool and all, but anyone who makes it into the top 12 or so all end up with record deals anyway.

I think this quote sums it up best:

Nina: While you put Gretchen in Marie Claire, Anna Wintour will have Mondo in Vogue.

ETA: Also, there's all sorts of rumors flying around stating that the only reason Gretchen won was because Marie Claire/Piperlime liked her better and thought she fit with their overall "style". I really don't think that's necessarily true, but it does make you wonder how much sponsors/advertising may have an effect on who's chosen as the winner.

IamBelle
11-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Completely agree that Mondo should have won...very disappointed.