PDA

View Full Version : Recent 50's Prime Time reviews

iheartdisney
07-30-2010, 12:34 PM
When 50's Prime Time first opened our family fell in love and it became a "must eat" for our visits. But a few years ago we noticed service declining, food not as good and we chalked it up to us being tired of it. One visit in particular, we had a "cousin" who's english was not very clear and we kept having to ask her to repeat herself. This alone kept us from the fun other tables seemed to be having. We haven't been back in a while and I'm curious of the impressions from some recent diners. Thanks! :eat:

WishingStar2006
07-30-2010, 02:23 PM
I went to 50's Prime Time twice during my May trip and it was wonderful both times. Obviously, your server can make or break the experience but I have found that if you engage them in conversation you get more response.

They have changed the menu somewhat in the last few years and I like it a lot better.

I don't think you'll be disappointed!

DizneyRox
07-30-2010, 02:38 PM
It's not as good as it used to be, they are more focused on the DDP and getting people in and out than they used to be, but I still like eating there. If they get rid of the pot roast though, I'll probably look elsewhere.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
07-30-2010, 02:50 PM
We used to make it a "must" on our trips, but haven't done so in a few years. The server definitely makes a difference and I agree with a previous poster that they seem to want to move the diners in and out in a hurry. DD15 and DW love the pot roast.

DDuck66
07-30-2010, 10:31 PM
We love it, but I have to agree that the server does make a difference. We always request our best wdw friend Sister Jamie. She has been our server for the past 8 years and always makes us welcome.

SandmanGStefani24
07-31-2010, 05:27 PM
i know the dishes are simple things we all could make at home, but they are just plain good and a comforting touch. unfortunately, the place is a little small and this is causing the pressure to get us in and out more quickly than before. it's kinda a double edged sword because they want to give you the "home" experience but they also want to keep wait times down for other guests. my average wait is around an hour but havent been back in about 2 years so not sure what it's like now. i plan on hitting in next trip to see for myself.

does anyone know if there is a bar-type area for solo diners?

twinboyz
08-01-2010, 03:23 PM
We've never had to wait more than 5 minutes for our ressie. We may have it figured out though..we go for lunch shortly after the open.:secret:

Belster
08-01-2010, 10:27 PM
When 50's Prime Time first opened our family fell in love and it became a "must eat" for our visits. But a few years ago we noticed service declining, food not as good and we chalked it up to us being tired of it. One visit in particular, we had a "cousin" who's english was not very clear and we kept having to ask her to repeat herself. This alone kept us from the fun other tables seemed to be having. We haven't been back in a while and I'm curious of the impressions from some recent diners. Thanks! :eat:

Sad to say, in my opinion it is the same. We went last October and it was horrible. It has gotten worse throughout the years. We will not be going back any time soon.

DisneyBunch
08-02-2010, 09:42 AM
It depends on what you are looking for. We went this past Friday (group of nine) and had a great time. Our server was very fun and kept everyone engaged. The menu is what it is...comfort foods for the most part. If you're looking for a Zagat's rated restaurant, 50's isn't it. If you want to have a "fun" meal at WDW, 50's might fit the bill. It did for us.:mickey:

Mickey91
08-02-2010, 10:48 AM
We have always enjoyed it. So far the food has been excellent when we have gone. The service and "fun" varies from time to time but we haven't had anything happen to cause us not to go back each trip. But, with all things Disney, the constant push for more and more profit is taking its toll on everything. We will continue to go until we have a terrible experience.

Granny Jill A
08-02-2010, 02:59 PM
It's been very uneven for us. First time was great (meat loaf, mashed potatoes, green beans), but the next visit a few years later was awful. Ordered the same meal as before, but the food and service were sub-par. The next year we had a fabulous meal (fish and chips) and great service. The year after that, I ordered the same exact meal and was very disappointed. Service was terrible and the food was awful. So I guess the NEXT time I go, everything will be fabulous - I hope.

mommy2maddi
08-04-2010, 02:59 PM
We just ate there last week and loved it. It was our first time (actually our first trip to WDW) but had heard it was good and we are glad we went. It is a must do on my list now. I can't imagine a person who hardly speaks english playing the roll of one of the waitresses there. Don't give up on it, in my opinion it's still great!!!:thumbsup:

VWL Mom
08-04-2010, 03:38 PM
does anyone know if there is a bar-type area for solo diners?

I did see people eating at the bar when we were there Aug 09

andreallybadeggs
08-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Think I know your "cousin" and she may be responsible for our dropping 50's off our must do list. Has nothing to do with her English; we managed just fine. Has to do with her attitude. First time she was OK bordering on good, 2nd time so-so. Last time she was our server again and I was not happy. We were traveling with a family on a tight budget.
I wanted them to have the 50's fun experience so told them "if they weren't really hungry" it would be OK to order an appetizer for a meal and/or split an entree. Our family had done that before and had never encountered any problems and since they seemed embarrassed by our earlier attempts to pick up the tab I thought that was a way for them to stay with us and save face. Guess "cousin" was thinking less food = smaller tip but in any case she made it very clear with her body language (frowning, snatching the menus away) that she was not happy with their choices. Then I went to the restroom and heard her complaining about our "cheap" table. At that point she saw me and realized I'd overheard her. I confronted her, told her the family did not have a lot of $ and was reluctant to join us but that I had convinced them they would enjoy the antics and that no one would think less of them if they shared a meal or ordered just an appetizer. Then I said "Guess I was wrong."
She was more pleasant after that and the food was pretty good but it may be awhile before we return. DH had actually planned to pad her tip but, not surprisingly, that didn't happen.

crltkcagle
08-07-2010, 07:01 PM
We tried it in May for the first time. We were really excited because we heard about all the fun that goes on there. Well our waitress wasn't all that fun and our food wasn't all that great. So we went, we tried, but we'll probably never go back there again. Its just not for us.

marlyn
08-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Guess "cousin" was thinking less food = smaller tip but in any case she made it very clear with her body language (frowning, snatching the menus away) that she was not happy with their choices. Then I went to the restroom and heard her complaining about our "cheap" table.

That is terrible. Disney can be a very expensive vacation for many and I think what this server did is terrible. As far as I am concerned, it is a restaurant and you can order what you please, share if you like and get the same service no matter what. Good for you in confronting her, I hope your friends had better experiences for the remainder of your trip!

LudwigVonDrake
08-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Went in July for lunch and we had a great time!! :wave:

iheartdisney
08-09-2010, 09:13 PM
That is terrible. Disney can be a very expensive vacation for many and I think what this server did is terrible. As far as I am concerned, it is a restaurant and you can order what you please, share if you like and get the same service no matter what. Good for you in confronting her, I hope your friends had better experiences for the remainder of your trip!

Ditto! Ditto! Ditto! I'm so glad you confronted her - would have loved it if you confronted her manager, too!

Rosemickey68
08-10-2010, 04:03 PM
The first few times we went to Prime Time we had really good service, the waiters we had were alot of fun and did alot of antics! We went a few years ago and the waiter wasn't as fun and was dull, we were even trying to get him to do some of the "normal antics" we were used to and he didn't budge so we gave up, he did provide okay service, it wasn't bad but wasn't goo either.
Last July we had a great waitress, come to think of it I think her name was Jamie! My son didn't eat his veggies and she brought them back on a dessert plate with whipped cream and mickey sprinkles! She was fun and a great waitress. So I think it may be hit or miss on the wait staff. They don't seem to be as playful as they were when we first started going. I think some people get offended by it and maybe that is why they toned it down?!?!
We have been lucky as the food has always been good, no matter what. We love comfort food though! It was really good in July '09.
I would have asked for the manager if the waitress had behaved in the matter andreallybadeggs! I'm so sorry you guys had to go through that. The first time we went my parents paid for my family as we really didn't have the money and I know how it made us feel bad we couldn't afford much. So I'm sure that embarassed them more and they shouldn't have had to deal with that attitude, I'm glad you spoke up and said something. You should be able to order whatever you want. I hope that waitress no longer works there!