PDA

View Full Version : Apartment Drama

Dulcee
07-28-2010, 07:49 AM
So some of you may remember over the past few months my talking about moving to NC for graduate schol.

Things have been going great we went down found an apartment complex, we had an apartment at a great price, have 99% of the furniture we want, everything has been great for the move in three weeks and then...

2 days my DBF calls the complex to give them our move in date and they can't find our paperwork or our deposit because the girl we worked with who had also lived in the community is gone.

A day later we talk to a manager who sorts it all out but this has me a little concerned so i start poking around online.:(:cry:

I find that the complex has had its name changed 4 times in the past three years and when I search it under the old names the reviews are terrifying.The first warnings are just this isn't what people realize it is if you come during the day. Then I find two reviews from this july. People warning you not to open your door to "maintence" men because there have been several breaking and enterings that way, cars being broken into night after night, not even attempting to go to the pool because the local gang limits who's allowed in. Then I find a local site that will pull crime in the specific complex and find in a month well over a hundred calls for violence, assault, firearms, breaking and entering, auto larceny and gang activity.:eek:

Needless to say we will not be moving in here in three weeks. After much hysterics yesterday, feeling completely incompetant since we looked at this place and it seemed fine during the day...we are now frantically trying to find a new apartment in the other two complexs that we looked at and liked but was more pricey. And we need to attempt to get our 99$ hold back. At least it wasn't more...

Its just all so frustrating and scary. I start school four days after when we want to move in by and DBF has a police department interview the day after that. We have so little wiggle room. But at this point I'll pay a little more a month so I don't have to worry about leaving my apartment after dark.

:(

Jillirose
07-28-2010, 08:58 AM
$99 for a lifetime lesson - I've had a lot more expensive mistakes! Good thing it worked out as it did, what seemed like an inconvenience was really a blessing! :thumbsup:

Georgesgirl1
07-28-2010, 09:01 AM
It's a good thing you found all this our before you actually moved in and were stuck in a lease! I hope you find a good place to live, and good luck in grad school!

Dznygrl79
07-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Don't feel incomeptent, you did the very mature and smart thing by looking into it at the first sign of trouble. In the future you will know to do this upfront. I had a similar growing pain when I moved out the first time.
You will be okay paying more may be a bit of a pain but for piece of mind I would say its better.
Deep breaths you will be fine do your research you have a little wiggle room, good luck to you at school and your bf during his interview.

disneymom15
07-28-2010, 09:53 AM
It's much better that you found out now rather than after you moved in. The extra amount you'll have to pay will be well worth your peace of mind. Good luck to both of you.

deedeenmickey
07-28-2010, 10:05 AM
WOW! Be glad you found out before moving in and signing a lease! If you can't find anything right away try one of the extended stay hotels until you find something. I am sure it will all work out! Good luck to you and your BF on his job interview!

DizneyRox
07-28-2010, 11:02 AM
A lot of apartment complexes around these parts really fit the term slum lord... I spent 1 year in an apartment and couldn't wait until the lease was up, immediately moved into a house (actually at the 1 month mark) and couldn't be happier.

They do serve a purpose, but I can't get past the pay through the nose and nothing to show for it concept. I buy my cars too...

Michelle15
07-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Unbelievable!! Its a good thing you did all of that research. I hope you guys find a great place, after all anything will be better than that place. Good Luck :mickey:

diz_girl
07-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Does DBF have any contacts in the police department that he could call and ask about the good areas to live and those to avoid? Maybe that will help you avoid a repeat of your current problem.

Melanie
07-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Let me guess? Over in the area around WFU? That area unfortunately seems to have gone downhill since the years my DH lived there when we were dating. Gang activity surprises and saddens me though. I didn't realize that type of thing had moved into the area since I moved out 15 years ago.

Good luck with your new search. I can't remember the specifics, but I think you were wanting to stay in the W-S limits, but Clemmons and Kernersville are nice areas (I grew up in Clemmons). I wouldn't hesitate recommending moving out into the 'burbs and having the short commute into town for a safer place to live. :thumbsup:

Dulcee
07-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Let me guess? Over in the area around WFU? That area unfortunately seems to have gone downhill since the years my DH lived there when we were dating.

Yes! The apartment complex was only five miles from the Reynolda Campus.

Thank you guys for the support. DBF's father, who is a cop here in Jersey, put in a call for us and talked to a srgt. there who told us it was a good idea to pull out of the original. He also told us one that we had previously looked at was a safe bet.

So we called that complex and they had 1 two bedroom available for the weekend we had wanted to move in. Applications have been processed and approved and we're reviewing the lease tonight.

Its 40 more a month plus we are now responsible for water and trash but it seems well worth it.

NewDVCowner
07-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Yes! The apartment complex was only five miles from the Reynolda Campus.

Thank you guys for the support. DBF's father, who is a cop here in Jersey, put in a call for us and talked to a srgt. there who told us it was a good idea to pull out of the original. He also told us one that we had previously looked at was a safe bet.

So we called that complex and they had 1 two bedroom available for the weekend we had wanted to move in. Applications have been processed and approved and we're reviewing the lease tonight.

Its 40 more a month plus we are now responsible for water and trash but it seems well worth it.

It sounds like it worked out perfectly for you. Good luck and congratulations!

diz_girl
07-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Glad to hear that you were able to work out everything. Good luck!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-31-2010, 12:04 AM
For $40 more per month, it's worth it to have peace of mind when you leave the place after dark. I'm glad it worked out.