PDA

View Full Version : do some people actually like the summer heat?

dyin tago
07-27-2010, 09:01 PM
hello,

dw and I have been in september 6 times and are seriously considering cancelling this september to try a cooler month like february.

such a tough decision with free dining and it is such a quiet month compared to other months.

do some of you actually not mind the heat and humidity in september?

we also hate standing in lines and even early february will likely be busier than september.

also danger of a cold snap also and we love the waterparks:mickey:

captigger
07-27-2010, 09:25 PM
I don't like the heat or humidity but I do like a deal and the weather is pretty much the same all over in the summer so.....

lovinmesomedisney
07-27-2010, 09:27 PM
It is kind of bittersweet, I guess. I certainly don't like the heat, but as you said, as far as crowds, free dining, etc, September is awesome. I have gone in September for the past 7 years and love it! I guess being from St. Louis, we have some really hot, humid, summers, so I may as well be in Disney as opposed to home. :mickey:

Briansmom
07-27-2010, 09:39 PM
In looking at the 'Weather' link on Info Central, I see that the weather in September is comparable to the weather in May. Our last two trips were in May and altho it was warm, it was not unbearable to us. Of course, our summers here in central NC are very similar to Orlando (our heat index this past weekend was 112 degrees... :fan: ) but I don't 'love' the extreme heat and the May weather was bearable to me. I am hoping that when we go the last week of September it will be similar to what we have experienced the last couple of years in May. The free dining is worth a little perspiration to me!! :eat:

DizneyRox
07-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Go in July, then talk to me about the heat...

It's not uncommon for me to go through 40oz of water before 10am in July, then a couple more bottle before heading back to the room in the afternoon. I've found that staying hydrated makes a world of difference. Also keeping your feet cool, via some type of sandal, etc.

BellesRose
07-27-2010, 09:55 PM
I can't bear any humidity...and anything above 70 is too hot for me. If you can't do November through January, I would definitely choose February. If you are going to stick with September, go as late as possible in the month ;)

Disney Yankee
07-27-2010, 10:30 PM
If I had my choice, I'd probably go to Disney World in October or November. However, I'm a teacher and my children are in school, so we really can't go any other time except Easter (which is expensive and crowded), or July/August. We can handle the heat by going to the parks early and late, and spending the afternoons at the pool.

Goofy4TheWorld
07-27-2010, 10:44 PM
I like the heat. I have gone in June twice and March once. I hated that March weather was cold in the morning, hot during the midday, then cool at night. We didn't pack a single pants or long sleeves and had to buy jackets that trip.

I like that the summer-fall months give you a guaranteed forecast: hot, with rain for 5 minutes each day: dress accordingly.

I do drink a ton of water and eat a ton of Mickey Bars, but I love the summer heat!

Camping Mom
07-27-2010, 11:02 PM
The first few times we ever went were in the summer. I didn't mind the weather, but I don't like the crowds and pushy people. When they bump into you, you feel like you stick to them!! The plus is the water parks feel really good. I love Christmas time even if it gets cold...it's supposed to for Christmas to me! My husband and I are trying October this year. I am looking forward to the fall decorations.

Pop Centurion
07-27-2010, 11:15 PM
We've been going in Sept for the past 6 years. I personally don't mind the heat but the humidity tends to bother me. For me, the fact that it's not crowded really makes the difference. If I had to stand in long lines in that heat/humidity that would definitely make things miserable. As long as I'm moving and stay hydrated, I'm fine. I even walk from DHS to Epcot in that heat because it's way to humid (plus slow) on the boat.

MartyS
07-27-2010, 11:21 PM
We went in March (Spring Break), way too cold for me. If my family wants to go when it's cold, they can go without me. I know it sounds crazy, but I really love 90 to 100 degree days, which is almost all summer here. When it gets below 70 degrees, I don't go outside unless it's absolutely necessary.

kakn7294
07-27-2010, 11:42 PM
I can't say I like the heat and humidity but it's better than being cold and at least it's consistent. I know I only have to pack shorts and t-shirts / tank tops - no need for jeans / pants, sweatshirts, jackets, etc. Anytime I can pack lighter and less is a great thing. I also find it easier to cool off than it is to warm up.

Dragongirlx
07-28-2010, 03:26 AM
We always go in September and I like the heat.
It doesn't seem to bother me as much as others but then I really hate the cold. I live in Scotland were we just don't get heat like that so I am always happy when I get there and its nice and warm

JoF
07-28-2010, 08:38 AM
My favourite time to go is mid to late October. While the weather is pretty hot compared to what I am used to, it is bearable and you can still hit the water parks :thumbsup: Its also a good time for crowds - even with MNSSHP and the food and wine festival.:D
Maybe you could consider Oct/Nov where it is likely to be warmer than Feb/Mar.
Whatever you decide - enjoy it.

PopPhan
07-28-2010, 09:20 AM
I can't say I like the heat and humidity but it's better than being cold and at least it's consistent. I know I only have to pack shorts and t-shirts / tank tops - no need for jeans / pants, sweatshirts, jackets, etc. Anytime I can pack lighter and less is a great thing. I also find it easier to cool off than it is to warm up.

Agreed! Knowing that you don't need to pack for every possible temperature range makes it easy and keeps luggage to a minimum!!

We tend to make our trips in the second half of September and the temps are much like summer here at home, so we're pretty much acclimated already. Actually, there are periods, like the past week or two, where the temps and heat index are higher here than in FLA!!!!

On a personal note: Our late September trips have become our way of saying "Goodbye!" to Summer -- Once we get home, it is time to start Fall preparations -- get leaf blower tuned up, close pool, prep flower gardens for Winter....etc.

disneymom15
07-28-2010, 09:43 AM
I love the heat. 85 to 95 degrees is perfect. Husband thinks it's to hot and daughter gets a bit cranky but they survive.

deedeenmickey
07-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Try the first few weeks in December if possible. They have free dining, low crowds and cooler weather. I hate the hot weather and long lines. I am trying to talk DH into going in early December. I will go anytime I can though because I love Disney World!

grumpyguy
07-28-2010, 10:43 AM
I LOVE the florida heat....of course i'm from the north!!The way i look at florida's heat is that it's like other people's babys and pets...
i love them all as long as i can leave 'em:thumbsup:

kbean
07-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Id go for it in Sept. Its hot but not like it is now. Plus with shorter lines your not standing outside all the time.

Feb is another great time. Only problem is they usually do alot of refurbs in jan/feb do to low crowds...... Splash Mountain being one of them.

Youll have fun in Sept if ya go. Enjoy.

Michelle15
07-28-2010, 11:20 AM
I LOVE the heat! But I could live without the humidity! This will be the first time we are going in September and from the sounds of it that is a hot month :D When we were planning our Vacation in the beginning I wanted September because I thought it would be a cooler month. I guess I was wrong. I just hope my 9 month old will be ok with the heat:confused:

PlutoPlanet
07-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Some people do like the weather hot! DW and I went the last full week in March. On a couple of evening, you had to wear a sweater. DW commented that it just wasn't the same. We have such memories of WDW when it is hot, since we typically go in the summer. We didn't do the water rides at all in March. It was a bit different.

goofy-4-disney
07-28-2010, 12:22 PM
I've primarily gone to WDW in the middle of July. Very hot, very humid. The rest of my family is able to handle the heat much better than I am. While I don't enjoy the heat, I seem to be able to tolerate it a little better at WDW. I've been to WDW once in late December/early January and liked that weather much better. Shorts during the day and maybe long sleeves at night. I'll go anytime though.

BigThunderFan
07-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Here's how I look at it: I can always put more clothes on, I can't take more off once I get to a point (not legally anyway :blush:).

I hate the heat and humidity combo, so I love January. Most days are still in the 70s and perfect, and if the temps drop I just put on a sweatshirt. :vacation:

hoop de do
07-28-2010, 01:38 PM
I do not have to shovel the heat and humidity.
:snowball: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Eric87
07-28-2010, 04:14 PM
I've pretty much accepted the fact that when you book a trip to Disney the heat and humidity are extras on my park tickets. Even when we went back in March 2009 the middle of the day was close to 90. I don't think it would be the same if I didn't have to change my clothes twice a day.

LauraByTheSea
07-28-2010, 06:09 PM
LOVE the heat! That's why I moved from NYS to South FL 10 years ago! Needless to say I am used to it, but still... When it gets too hot, I go inside a store or ride. I normally go in September and you can't beat the crowds. I love being able to walk right on rides. We were there in April and June this year, and not only was it REALLY hot in June, the crowds were awful. Go when the deals are good and the crowds are light!

kemps@wdw
07-28-2010, 10:49 PM
I HATE HOT!!! :flame: More so as I get older. That being said, we have been to the World in the hottest part of the summer (long before the FP system). For the most part, WDW does it's best to either shade or cool the queues. But now, it's Oct. for us, as it's our DD school break, and the weather is usually cooler and the crowds are usually less. And this year we got free dining in Oct. So we got the best of both worlds. :thumbsup:

Disney Doll
07-29-2010, 08:22 AM
We like Sept. My preferred time weather wise is probably Oct/Nov, but that doesn't work with my husband's job. I think it may partly depend on what you are used to. We're from OK and we usually see triple digits in the summer. Sept may feel like summer, but it's not June/July/August hot. We usually head back to the room for an afternoon nap so we may be missing the hottest part of the day.

We used to go a lot in Jan/Feb, but now that we have kids I prefer it to be a little warmer especially so we can play in the water and enjoy evening shows without freezing. Jan/Feb is really unpredictable. We've been when it's really warm and nice, but we've also been when it was literally freezing at night and cold enough for coats and gloves during the day.

stephntampa
07-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Get to the park early, drink lots of water, take a break in the afternoon and go back to the hotel for a swim/nap, drink water, go back to the park at night, drink water....

Daisy'sMom
07-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Just go and have fun. There are a million ways to cool off and the heat is a good excuse for another dole whip.:donald:

Dr. Disney
07-30-2010, 02:06 AM
We were down at WDW a few years ago in September a LOVED it! The week after Labor day is so dead. Free dining is also a definite boost. Sure, it's not the perfect parenting thing to do, but I let my DS and DD miss the first few days of school this year to head down. It is definitely worth it! The humidity will make you sweat, then it will rain (heck, you may like standing int he rain),, then it stops and it's like it never rained.

Besides, you burn more calories in humid weather, so that's more yummy food and :marg::beer: (in moderation in the heat, of course).

xo0ally
07-30-2010, 01:44 PM
I usually go in July and boy is it hot and humid! I can tolerate it pretty well, but sometimes i just can't the muggyness and humidity. But July is school vaction so thats why we go then and thats when my mom gets off from work.

indytraveler
07-30-2010, 01:44 PM
We usually go in July. Even been in august 1-2x's. so we know what to expect and kinda welcome it. People go back to resorts in afternoon to rest, we continue right on thru. riding rides and having fun. our ages, late 30's early 40's, might have something to do with it

LudwigVonDrake
07-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Because of my job I basically HAVE to go in the summer and I don't mind it that much. That's why I take mid-day breaks to go back to the hotel to nap and swim the pool :mickey:

TinkerbellsMom
07-31-2010, 07:09 AM
We love the heat and low crowds, but hate the humidity. We found that early to mid-May to be perfect. Temps in the 80 to 90s, low humidity, none to minimal rain - including no daily showers, low to mid crowds...pure heaven.

disneymom2000
07-31-2010, 10:59 PM
From Texas. Don't really say I like the heat but just that we are used to it, so I like going in September and it is better than being in Texas at that time of the year. I'm afraid I would freeze in February.

#1donaldfan
08-01-2010, 01:10 PM
We've visited mostly in the month of June each trip. The heat is hard to handle, but we have all good memories, so I suppose it wasn't all bad. We just try to stay hydrated and rest during the noon hours, then back to the parks for the evening and night hours...:cool:

happy day
08-01-2010, 03:51 PM
I love going in hot weather. I went last year in August, and I just got back from a July visit. I like knowing that I only need certain clothes, and that every day is a swim day. We walk through stores, and go inside to rides all planned in our day, so that we can enjoy the day. I love the hot weather.

Gator
08-01-2010, 06:48 PM
No, I'm not a fan of the heat. I went once and never went back. However, I face crowds that you never do in September. And I've never had free meals, which I wish I could get.

One thing you would miss if you came in the winter is Live Trees. I look at my summer trip pics and see all the trees full of leaves and the crape myrtles in full bloom. The winter weather is nice, but the ambience is not as magical with all the dead trees.

TinkerBell-Bell
08-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Due to school and university we're having to go end of august / start of september. Previously we've gone in Late May - June and October, and found it rather hot then (being from the UK, the heat is rather a shock to the system). But as we are so limited with when we go, we've been preparing by getting used to walking around in sweaters when it's warm, and trying to cut down on the AC in the car, but overall know that we will just enjoy the magic of disney, regardless of if we're sweating a bit. And at least the water rides won't feel redundant. . .

Mickey91
08-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Well, with temperatures here in VA between 87° and 102° and humidity almost unbearable:sun:, I look at it as at least I would be miserable at WDW:mickey: instead of just being miserable at home. :snowball:And I absolutely HATE to be cold!:freeze:

BigThunderFan
08-02-2010, 12:42 PM
One thing you would miss if you came in the winter is Live Trees. I look at my summer trip pics and see all the trees full of leaves and the crape myrtles in full bloom. The winter weather is nice, but the ambience is not as magical with all the dead trees.

You know we really noticed this too from photos of our last trip too. Not so much the trees, but we noticed the grass was not green at all. At least there were some flowers, many were nipped early in the month by the frost!