PDA

View Full Version : Good but cheap dining options off property

Georgesgirl1
07-27-2010, 06:05 PM
We are trying to do this trip to Disney super cheap since I was recently laid off. We are using DVC points and it is too late to bank them for next year, so we either go or lose the points. We have a studio at Kidani Village, and plan to eat as many meals in our room as possible, but with only a microwave and a toaster to cook with, we will need to eat some meals outside of the room. I figure we will eat one meal a day outside of the room. What are some good, but cheap options off-property?

DisneyFan4Life
07-27-2010, 07:59 PM
You should try and google for restaurant coupon sites. You can purchase gift certificates at a fraction of the cost. Right now they have some good deals.
Be sure to read the small print, though.

Briansmom
07-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Also, if you sign up with Upromise (to save for your children's college education) they have specials they send every so often to your email where you can get like 75-80% off the cost of the restaurant.com certificates too.

And there are always fast food places...Chic Filet is a good one near the DTD area where they have healthy choices as well and it's good food and alot cheaper than a 'sit-down' restaurant. You being from Georgia, I am sure you are familiar with them.

I am all about saving a buck where I can!! Good luck on your adventure! :thumbsup:

magicalmom
07-27-2010, 09:16 PM
If you go to Restaurant.com, they also have certificates for the restaurants in the Swan (I think it's the Swan, might be the Dolphin) They were only offering $25 certificates when I looked, but that puts a really nice meal into the price range of the I-Hop [For the record, I love I-Hop]

Cici's on International Dr. is a pizza, salad and dessert buffet, and you can usually find coupons in the Entertainment books, or in those coupon books from the hotel lobbies. In fact, I-Drive is full of all kinds of chain restaurants.

If you purchase an Entertainment book right now you can order the Orlando coupon book for $8. It has a bunch of restaurant coupons, and also movie, shopping, and attraction coupons. (Not the parks, just the "distraction attractions," but every little bit helps -) it's good through Dec. 2010. Mine came last week for our August trip. There's a Rainforest Cafe coupon. Feel free to PM me if you want to know what other coupons are in there -

Katzateer
07-27-2010, 10:33 PM
when we have a car we always eat at Chevy's at Crossroads. Get a lot more for our money than anyplace on Disney property and the chips and salsa are so good and help fill us up after a long day

On Disney property you can't beat the Trail's End at Ft.Wilderness. You will get a lot of good food at a decent price

Camping Mom
07-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Perkins is a good place to go for breakfast. Never tried lunch or dinner. You get a lot on your plate for the price. I am also all about "what you can't eat, take with you."

Cici's is filling and inexpensive, McDonalds is in the Crossroads, there is an IHOP along that strip near the Crossroads, too.

We go on a budget every time we are there which is why when we don't get to take our trailer, we budget, budget, budget. I miss when I can't cook in the trailer and save that money.

PlutoPlanet
07-28-2010, 11:59 AM
We go to Earl of Sandwich for dinner to save some dough. The Sandwiches are dinner sized for us.

PETE FROM NYC
07-28-2010, 06:04 PM
With all of the chains represented in the area, I don't think you will have trouble eating on the cheap.
Om Int'l Drive or 192, you can't go 100 ft without hitting one.
Last year we had a coupon for $4.99 breakfast buffet at Ponderosa. We also enjoy Perkins for any meal.
Just remember to get one of the coupon books.
Also get the Orlando Magicard.

MinnieMommie
07-29-2010, 08:14 AM
I agree with Pete about Int drive and 192 and also about the Crossroads area which is 535 if you take a right at the end of Hotel Plaza Blvd or 435 if you take a Left. You can find every type of food option you might want.

The other thing to consider is getting the hot food options at a grocery store like rotisserie chicken and mashed potatoes. The Publix Market has some good hot food and fresh bakery options but some of the Publixs offer more than than others. We like the one on 2925 International Dr. From Animal Kingdom you can take Osceola Pky to International Dr (where the Gaylord Palms is) and take a right. It will be on your left just before 192 on your left.

The Mara which is the counter service dinning option located in the Jambo House at AKL serves good food which is reasonably priced. You can get a hearty bowl of soup for $2.50. Some of their meals can be split (like the breakfast bounty platter).

If you can cut back on the price of food it will really help defray the cost of your trip. You are staying in a fantastic venue. Enjoy your trip! :mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
07-29-2010, 08:18 AM
$5 Subs at Subway! Get them without sauces and store them in your fridge!

NewDVCowner
07-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Very often Restaurant.com has coupon codes available for 80% off. I just recently bought $120 worth of gift certificates for $12. One thing to watch for, though, with them. Often they require you to pay an 18% gratuity. Well, if you're at a sit down, that's no problem, you'll probably do that anyway, however that is also required at fast food places, and they add it on at the register. We didn't save any money using the coupons at fast food places.

Also, keep an eye out for restrictions. Often they're only good for dinner, so can not be used for lunch, and there are minimum purchase requirements.

Georgesgirl1
07-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks for all the ideas. I completely forgot about restaurant.com!

Dracula766
07-30-2010, 04:13 AM
SWEET TOMATOES!

Although not cheap for a soup/salad buffet, if you sign up for their email list, they regularly send out buy one get one free coupons. There is a fairly new location at crossroads in the very back.

The quality of the food is amazing. Everything is very fresh. They usually have at least 8 different soups, a bakery with different focaccias, rolls and muffins, and they have a pasta station with some great mac & cheese. They also offer a breakfast buffet on Sunday mornings.

I am planning on eating there at least twice on my upcoming trip, I just need to print out the coupons.

magicalmom
08-02-2010, 01:18 PM
I recently ran across a "kids eat free card" on an Orlando website - you pay $20 for the card, and it's good at a long list of restaurants (none at WDW, but many are near) I'm sorry, I can't recall the site, but I think I got there in the first place by Googling.

princessgirls
08-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Sweet Tomatoes on 192 (across the street from Downtown Disney) also in same strip mall as Goodings. Very good soup, salad, dessert, and other assorted item buffet. We enjoyed it with our inlaws who are ALWAYS on a tight budget.

Julie:mickey:

Goofy Pluto
08-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Suggestions...

- Restaurant.com. If you sign up for their newsletter occassionally you'll get emails from them offering coupons at 80% off. You can get a $25 coupon for only $2. For some good places, too. We got one for House of Blues in Downtown Disney. Even if you don't get a discount you can still get $25 worth of food for $10. But they usually do have minimum purchase amounts.

- I saw other's recommend this but I think Cici's pizza is great. Very inexpensive for all you can eat pizza.

- The Kids Eat Free Card. Do a search for this in Orlando and you should find their website. BUT we were able to get it for less than $20 by searching around. I'm sorry but I can't remember how my wife did it(Ebay? Other discount site) but you can definitely get this for less than $20. And there are a lot of good places in there.

- Entertainment book: Depending on when you are going you might be able to get a very good discount on a 2010 Entertainment book for the Orlando area with lots of coupons for restaurants. But the coupons in a 2010 book would expire on November 1st.