PDA

View Full Version : Moving from Ft. Lauderdale to Denver Area

clausjo
07-27-2010, 11:13 AM
There's a very, very good chance that my position will be relocated from the south FL area to Denver. I've lived in this area my entire life, so this would be a HUGE undertaking for me. My company's offices are in Englewood so, ideally, I'd like to be as close to that area as possible. I'm looking for any advice anyone would like to provide regarding areas, schools (my kids are 8 and 11, in 2nd and 6th grades, respectively), cost of living, etc. I'm sure we'd end up taking the relo offer, provided it was fairly reasonable. Hubby's business is basically non-existent now and all of our family is in the Orlando area. I'll know for sure in a few weeks, but I'm a planner and would like to start looking at what our possibilities are sooner rather than later. I've heard that the schools are on year round school and I have no idea how that works. Thanks in advance to anyone that can provide any info!!!

BellesRose
07-27-2010, 12:03 PM
I've never lived there, so I'm sorry I can't help, but I've wanted to move there for years. It's absolutely beautiful. Good luck either way! :thumbsup:

Zippy 1
07-27-2010, 12:57 PM
I don't live in Denver but about 50 miles to the north. I know depending on where you are in the Denver area that some of the school districts are year round other go from mid-August until late May. There are so many different sections of Denver that it is hard to give you specifics. Hopefully someone will come along who lives in the Denver area who can give you more details.
I can tell you that there is a lot to do in the Denver area. There is NHL hockey, NFL football, Baseball, museums, a beautiful zoo, Elitchs amusement park, Water World and lots of great shopping.
Not to far to the west you will find great mountain sports both winter and summer. There is never a lack of things to do.
I can't commet on living in Denver, I live in Fort Collins and love it. I know alot of people in our area commute to Denver to work. Where you locate will all be a matter of preference. I wish you the best of luck! You will love Colorado!!

coloradowendyl
07-27-2010, 01:07 PM
Hi,

Just chiming in as well! I am in Fort Collins too and have been here 20 years. I know that we have a few Intercot members who live close to the Engelwood area so hopefully they will pop in and answer your post!

Let me know if you have general moving to Colorado questions I can answer. Coming from Florida you will find the low humidity a nice change...be sure to stock up on moisturizer lol!

Different areas around Denver have different school years. JeffCo (Jefferson County) is on year round schools. Depending on the city you choose will determine traditional or year round schedules.

Wendy

clausjo
07-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Thank you. Yes, any general moving to Colorado advice will be welcome as well.

coloradowendyl
07-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Denver from the East Coast is an adjustment. Denver is a bit less laid back than Fort Collins, but things are very casual here. People get married on mt. tops and wear jeans everywhere including the theater.

Things to know lol:
Prime Time TV is 7-10 pm. Late news is 9 or 10 pm depending on the station. Letterman and Leno begin at 10:35

You will be living at a minimum of 5,000 feet above Sea Level and will need to use the High Altitude directions when cooking. It takes longer to boil water here as well.

Suddenly being landlocked is an adjustment. However, you will always know which way you are driving. The mountains are always West. Directions here are not lefts and rights but rather go east 3 blocks, then south,etc.

You need to drink alot of water due to the altitude.

Your friends and family on the East Coast will continuously forget that you are two hours behind them and you will get phone calls very early in the morning for a while.

The Sun is very strong here all year long and because of the altitude, sunscreen and sunglasses are a must

If you don't know who John Elway is, you will find out quickly. He is the Icon of all Sports Icons in Denver and quoted/interviewed etc any time ANYTHING happens in Colorado or the world lol! It doesn't matter if it is sports related or an earthshattering world event, Denver news stations will interview him.

The weather changes on a minute to minute basis. It can be 90 degrees at 3pm and 20 degrees and snowing by 9 pm. Fortunately the flip side occurs and you can get 2 ft of snow that melts 24 hours later.

Usually we get a week of frigid cold in December and one in January and then pretty temperate weather for most of the winter. 30 degrees feels much warmer due to the altitude.

On the Subject of snow, main roads are plowed. Secondary roads typically do not get plowed. School is cancelled very infrequently.

Red Rocks in Golden is the most fabulous place on earth to see a concert. Elk Bugling in Estes Park in the Fall is amazing.

DIA is a great airport to fly in and out of! Easy to navigate and inexpensive parking right offsite. United, Southwest and Frontier are the biggies in terms of airlines.

King Soopers, a main grocery chain runs great Colorado Rockies baseball ticket promotions. The other main grocery chains are Safeway and Albertsons. Whole Foods is here along with Costco and Sams.

Food prices are high. I find them much higher than a lot of the east coast.

Denver has good health care. Children's Hospital is awesome.

We get national touring companies of major plays, etc but the run will be short and tickets sell out fast. We are on the concert tourlist of all of the major bands, groups.

I bet the other Coloradoans in the group can add to the misc list of things!

Wendy