PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain vs. Space Mountain

Lodger
07-25-2010, 06:40 PM
I just visited Disneyland for the first time this past week and the family and I had a great time. The one thing that troubled me was how awesome the Disneyland version of Space Mountain is. It starts off with a fantastic light show as you begin to launch, then you are launched into space and cool music blasts from the speakers of your rocket. The ride is very dark, so the stars shine brighter and you can't see the ride's tracks. The ride is also smoother than the Magic Kingdom's SM. Disneyland's Space Mountain blew me away, and now I'll never be able to ride the MK's version without finding it lame.

MaxPower
07-25-2010, 06:54 PM
I agree.

And even more disappointing is the fact that Florida's Space Mountain was down for refurb for months in 2009 - all for a new queue and ceiling.

Bean counting at work again- but a missed opportunity to make Florida's version as awesome as California's.

goofy89
07-25-2010, 07:05 PM
I 100% agree! I was blown away by Disneyland's SM and I wish they would have redone WDW's in a similar way.

Melanie
07-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Also agree 100%. Besides all the other superior aspects of Disneyland's version, the music really makes it for me. :thumbsup:

JPL
07-26-2010, 03:58 PM
It's a shame WDW really missed the boat or should I say rocket by not taking the oppurtunity to really upgrade the experience :shake:

DisneyLuver91
07-26-2010, 04:02 PM
At least they finally darkened the interior. I hated seeing those tracks. I always thought I'd go the way of the Headless Horseman. :scared:

BluewaterBrad
07-26-2010, 04:06 PM
At least they finally darkened the interior. I hated seeing those tracks. I always thought I'd go the way of the Headless Horseman. :scared:

That was a great urban legend when we were kids!!:mickey:

badkitty
07-26-2010, 04:15 PM
DL didn't always have music and we were so excited when it was added! :thumbsup: Way cool! The music has also been changed for a special promotion at least once that I know of. So great. I thought for sure that WDW would get the audio during the last refurb. Very disappointed.

BigThunderFan
07-26-2010, 04:21 PM

Now you just don't know how close you are actually coming to being scalped. :ambal:

SoaringEpcot
07-26-2010, 04:32 PM
I agree as well. I rode DL-SM back in 2008, I was really hoping WDW-SM would get something similar.

BowTie7
07-26-2010, 06:29 PM
DL also has a special Halloween themed version of Space Mountain that runs each fall.

brownie
07-27-2010, 08:23 AM
I am sad to say that we didn't make it on the Disneyland Space Mountain on our sole trip so far to California. Maybe next time.

Zawadi
07-31-2010, 05:20 PM
Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons :)

My favourite is DLP's Space Mountain Mission 2 which is a coaster that starts by the train being fired from Jules Verne's gun in "De la Terre à la Lune" (from the Earth to the Moon) up the outside and into the top of the dome. The coaster then goes into an inverted loop.

MNDisney Dad
08-01-2010, 05:18 PM
DL SM is far superior to DW SM. Much smoother ride and the music is awesome! Went on SM at DW in May and after the refurb, i think the ride is actually rougher than before. Only went once since it was so rough. Could be because of it being much darker than before and I could not anticipate(see) the turns as before.

Gator
08-01-2010, 06:40 PM
One thing you have to remember about the WDW refurb is that is lasted a few months. Disneyland's version was down for years. Yes, that's right.....years. Nearly three to be more precise. Imagine buying an annual pass for two straight years and NEVER getting to ride Space Mountain. I agree that the DL version is far, far superior, but I don't think World travelers would like SM to be down until 2013.

IrishMickey
08-01-2010, 08:42 PM
I like sitting side by side at DL so much better than the bobsled version at DW, and I agree, it is so much smoother at DL. :mickey:

NJDad
08-02-2010, 06:43 AM
One thing you have to remember about the WDW refurb is that is lasted a few months. Disneyland's version was down for years. Yes, that's right.....years. Nearly three to be more precise. Imagine buying an annual pass for two straight years and NEVER getting to ride Space Mountain. I agree that the DL version is far, far superior, but I don't think World travelers would like SM to be down until 2013.

We've learned that if you go in January every year you never get to ride Splash Mountain.

artyboy
08-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons :)

My favourite is DLP's Space Mountain Mission 2 which is a coaster that starts by the train being fired from Jules Verne's gun in "De la Terre à la Lune" (from the Earth to the Moon) up the outside and into the top of the dome. The coaster then goes into an inverted loop.

Totally agree!!!

We've been to DLP twice and were blown away by what they created there! Such a cool ride...and the best hidden Mickey ever.

JabberJaws
08-03-2010, 10:17 AM
I agree 100%. I still, and will always, love MK's SM if for nothing else its nostalgic value. Also, MK's SM has its nice little features like the slight visibility of the head-choppers, and the old school feel of the bobsled-style coaster trains. However, it can't compare to DL's version in over appeal.

Others have said this already, but the MK version was planned to get most, if not all, of the same upgrades as the DL version, but WDW brass, who are notorious for budget cutting, trimmed it back until it was barely a rehab at all.

Sad really. Hopefully one day it will get the treatment it deserves.

BrerGnat
08-03-2010, 03:33 PM
I don't even bother with SM at Disney World anymore.

YAWN......