PDA

View Full Version : Mad Men Season 4

PirateLover
07-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Well tonight is the premiere! It really snuck up on me, the past few months have flown by. Anyway, all the critics are raving per usual. Can't wait to see what's going on with Don and the gang tonight!:marg::smokin:

Melanie
07-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Cannot wait!!!!!! :joy:

PirateLover
07-26-2010, 12:46 PM
It started in last season, and now continuing into this first episode, I'm really beginning to dislike the Betty character. I don't even really care about her anymore. I thought it was interesting when she said "He doesn't get to decide" or something along those lines in reference to Don wanting them to move out. Well, actually he does! The house is in his name, you were the one who demanded a divorce and you agreed in legal writing that you would vacate the house by a certain time. So yea, he does get to decide! Tough beans.

On the Sterling Cooper Draper Price front (What a mouthful!) It was neat to see how much they were able to grow their business in just a year. I really liked the way they ended the episode, with Don finally opening up and giving the interview to the WSJ. All together I thought it was a pretty good season opener. I'm not too keen on the portrayal of the girl Don went on the date with. I don't know if it was bad acting, or if that was supposed to be the point... that she's an actress, putting on a facade on the date. Sometimes I don't know whether I'm looking too deeply into things or not deep enough with this show!

Melanie
07-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Sometimes I don't know whether I'm looking too deeply into things or not deep enough with this show!

The producers would probably love to hear that. I think that's exactly what they are going for.

Yes, my sympathy for Betty has dried up, especially after last night. I loved when Don told them that everyone knows it's temporary. LOL The mother-in-law character is interesting and will be a factor in the future, I'm sure.

Love Roger Sterling...has the best one-liners on the show. And I'd love to know the story on the new young guy at SCDP.

PirateLover
08-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Oh no, the return of creepy Glen! A lot going on in tonight's episode. As always it leaves me wanting more! That was some office Christmas party.

DVC2004
08-03-2010, 12:27 AM
So addicted to this show! Makes me wish I was around and in the workforce during that era. LOL.

Melanie
08-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Really enjoyed last night's episode, mainly for the office storyline though. Hopefully Don is making a comeback, although he's still drinking heavily. Peggy on that motorcycle in that empty soundstage - brilliantly funny!

PirateLover
08-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Yes! The whole sequence of events with Honda was classic Don.

Melanie
08-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Oh Don. And I had such high hopes for you after the last episode. :shake:

Melanie
09-07-2010, 01:10 PM
What a roller coaster with Don this season. I loved him this episode and thought he had some really good points with Peggy. But, I thought she had some good points too. The mutual respect at the end was touching, at least to me. Great acting by both Jon Hamm and Elizabeth Moss. :thumbsup:

Oh, and I just read in People magazine that Mrs. Blankenship is the mom from Karate Kid. That's so cool! I would have never known.

PirateLover
09-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Well, as Teresa from Real Housewives of NJ would say, I LOVE LOVE LOVED this episode. I was very close to tears at a few points. Jon Hamm's range in this one episode was astounding. From the rage on his face when he's yelling at Peggy to the laughter over Roger's tape, to the gut wrenching tears, to the "fresh" morning after look and attitude, it was all great. And there were so many call backs to the first season. Really up there as one of my favorite episodes ever. I also loved the scene with Peggy in the bathroom with Trudy- "26 is still very young"-WOW! :secret:

Melanie
09-07-2010, 03:21 PM
I also loved the scene with Peggy in the bathroom with Trudy- "26 is still very young"-WOW! :secret:

What about the look on Pete's face when they walked out of there together? I can't wait to see where they go with that story. I just know they aren't done with it yet.

I wish more people watched this wonderful show. I'm so scared it's going to get canceled.

PirateLover
09-07-2010, 05:28 PM
What about the look on Pete's face when they walked out of there together? I can't wait to see where they go with that story. I just know they aren't done with it yet.

I wish more people watched this wonderful show. I'm so scared it's going to get canceled.

The look on his face was definitely priceless! I want to watch the episode again, but DH already deleted it from the DVR and it's not On Demand yet. I don't think it will get canceled, because ratings are still slowly but steadily creeping up. AMC seems dedicated to creating excellent TV shows so I don't think they'll pull the plug. My parents love Rubicon, and Breaking Bad seems to get rave reviews as well. I haven't watched either but my hubby is really into zombie stuff so we'll be watching The Walking Dead which premieres in Mad Men's slot on Halloween night. (By the way, as an interesting aside, the lead actor in Walking Dead is Andrew Lincoln who played Mark in Love Actually).

Melanie
09-07-2010, 06:21 PM
(By the way, as an interesting aside, the lead actor in Walking Dead is Andrew Lincoln who played Mark in Love Actually).

Ooh la la. I might have to watch.

And the lead in Rubicon is Leckie from The Pacific. And despite that, I still haven't watched.

PirateLover
09-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Just read that Jon Hamm was named GQ's Man of the Year! Go Jon!:number1:

Melanie
09-13-2010, 07:46 AM
Ooooh, Betty's not over Don.

And Joan always has to be so harsh to Peggy. I get her point, but why so harsh?

Carolanne
09-13-2010, 07:57 PM
And Joan always has to be so harsh to Peggy. I get her point, but why so harsh? I was really surprised by that exchange. I thought things might have settled down on Joan's end based on the episode where she told Peggy to go home early & she'd cover for her.

Betty: I am NOT a fan of this character.

Melanie
09-20-2010, 03:43 PM
RIP Mrs. Blankenship.

Another great episode! The actress playing Sally is excellent.

Carolanne
09-21-2010, 09:59 AM
You could really sense the fear/dislike Sally has for Betty & her home life. Sally has had some tantrums before, but I really felt bad for her.

Mrs. Blankenship: wow, that was completely unexpected!

PirateLover
09-21-2010, 04:08 PM
I've read some interviews with the child actress who plays Sally. She is very precocious and talks just like an adult.

I want to scream at Don whenever something happens with Sally. She is obviously crying out for help. The best thing might just be for her to spend a few days with Don and realize it's not all it's cracked up to be. (Unless of course Don finally decides to grow up and take responsibility).

When they first showed Mrs. Blankenship "sleeping" I knew she was gone. But you had to laugh. "She was an astronaut."

There's a great blog about the show that I read called Basket of Kisses that I think everyone who watches would enjoy. They really analyze every aspect of the show.

Melanie
10-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Wow, what just happened?

And I think we all saw Joan being pregnant from a mile away.

Loved the exchange between Peggy and Joan after they found out Don was engaged.

Gosh, seems like this season just started. 12 episodes just isn't enough!

PirateLover
10-21-2010, 09:13 PM
I really wasn't sure with Joan to be honest, I thought she might keep the baby given what we saw in the beginning of the season with her trying to get pregnant and being unsuccessful. I'm glad she did. The scene in the office with Peggy was great. Such a juxtaposition to the elevator scene.

Remember Faye's prediction about Don being married by the end of the year? I KNEW it would come true and I knew it would never be Faye despite the relationship they were developing. I had a feeling it might be Meghan because of the emphasis she got in the research panel. She stood out so much, you had to figure they were going somewhere with that character. Then, when she helped Sally up from her fall in the office, and was so good with her after Faye had been so horrible, I thought that Don might end up with her.

Can't wait for next season. Who wants to wager on whether Meghan will be pregnant or already have a baby?