PDA

View Full Version : Adding Points, now have 2 home resorts

BBN11
07-25-2010, 10:32 AM
I am interested in adding points in the near future. We just purchased 200 BLT from DVC this past June.

How does it work say if I by an additonal 100 points at VB or OKW and want to use all 300 for a vacation stay?

Also, I am guess if I wanted to use all 300 for a cruise it would not matter???

Thanks for everyone help in advance.

PS. We purchased DVC after being on Disney Magic for 7 nights and talking to many DVC members. Our first stay is next April for 5 nights in a 2 bed LV at BLT....can not wait. We receive a bonus 200 for joining. :mickey:

DizneyRox
07-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Home resort goes with the points, not the owner. Your 200 points have a home resort at BLT and the new points would have a home resort of wherever you buy them. The 11 and 7 month booking windows go with each set of points. To use all 300 points at the same place, you would need to wait to book at the 7 month window ( provided they are two seperate home resorts.

BBN11
07-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks for your response.

So, if I wanted BLT and needed all 300, I would need to wait for 7months out not 11.

Or if I wanted SSR (owned at BLT & Okw) and needed to use all of my points, again it is just the 7 month window.

But, what if I wanted my one home resort say OKW and I only had 100 points, but need to use part of my BLT to complete the reservation, how would that work with the 7 or 11 window.

Thanks in advance with your help.:mickey:

DizneyRox
07-25-2010, 12:59 PM
1. 200 points at the 11 month window then the rest at the 7 month window.

2. All at 7 months.

3. 100 points at 11 months, 200 points at 7 months.

BBN11
07-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks for all your help....

It all makes sense!;)

FiggyFan
07-26-2010, 09:49 PM
We own at two home resorts, and it can work out pretty well. Here are a few additional thoughts:

Make sure that when you do add on, you get the same use year as your original points. If you do, it is all counted as one membership, and the bookkeeping is much easier.* The 11 month/7 month rules for the two different sets of home resort points are as described earlier in this thread.

Consider the use of banking and borrowing to combine more points for the same resort. For example, if you own 200 BLT and 100 OKW, and want to take a 300 point BLT trip, you could:
- Bank your 100 OKW points into next year
- Borrow 100 BLT points from next year
- Use the 300 BLT points at the 11 month window.
Next year, you would have 100 BLT points and 200 OKW points to work with. Remember, next year, 100 of the OKW points would be the banked points and would have to be used next year - or they are lost.

(* When I say the bookkeeping is much easier, there are a few things involved. First, usage and banking deadlines are based on use year, so with multiple use years you would have to keep track of multiple deadlines. Second, if all the points are in one membership, it is easy to combine them for a cruise, a non-home resort, or an exchange. If the points are in two separate memberships, you have to transfer points from one membership to another before combining them - I believe this is allowed only once per year, and restricts/eliminates the ability to change your mind and bank the ponts.)

DizneyRox
07-27-2010, 07:11 AM
Remember though, banking/borrowing is a final transaction. Once you bank points into next year, they will expire if unused. If you borrow them, they must be used this year.

Banking/borrowing is a good plan, and I'e never had a problem, but I normally use what I need form this year, bank remaining and they are the first to be used next year. It's often just a few, so losing them isn't the end of the world. Banking 200 though would scare the bejesus out of me, If something came up, losing the 200 (equivalent to maybe $2800 between point alue and mainenance fees) is quite a hit.