PDA

View Full Version : Wizarding World of Harry Potter Review - A Lengthy Read!

Maleficent's Dad
07-24-2010, 07:47 PM
For the first time, my family and I ventured into the unknown - the dark side commonly referred to Universal Orlando.
Reviews are generally mixed from the four of us...
Cast of characters: Myself & DW, DS (11), and DD (9). This trip was done with the kids in mind as they're both big fans.

We took Tiffany from MCO over to Portofino Resort. The drive was relatively painless and we were checked in on Tuesday evening. We headed over to City Walk via boat, and found it very lively. Dinner at Pat O'Brien's was fine albeit a bit loud for the kids.

Then came the fun...
We got the 7 AM boat on Wednesday, July 14. We were one of the thousands standing in line by 7:30 AM. Once they let us in through the gates, they then herded everyone in a rather huge (and might I say, very disorganized) line (aka queue) in Dr. Seuss land. At around 7:50, they allowed guests into the WWOHP and that's where the mass pandemonium took place!!! Having no frame of reference, we followed the "parade" of folks, walked right on by Ollivanders (which already had a line of about 40-50 people) and went right to the castle for the FJ ride.

In my opinion, as well as that of my family's, the Harry Potter section of the park is very nicely done! It's superb, and the attention to detail is impressive. As far as I'm concerned, it's the only section of Universal Orlando that comes close to Disney. They really hit a home-run with this section of the park.
But here's the caveat...
It's small. WWOHP is being sold as a "destination," which folks, it most certainly is not! The entire section of the park is about 100 yards long. That's it. They cram a lot of "stuff" in there, and subsequently, they cram a lot of people in there!!! We were prepared for the crowds, so no sweat off our backs.
The problem is, I'm not sure Universal handles the crowds well, and they did not design the place with these hordes in mind. Both Honeydukes and Zonkos are rather small shops. Dervish & Banges (sp?) is attached to the owl post - where you buy your wands - and is even smaller. Filch's Emporium is the exit for the FJ ride and the only "decent sized" shop in the area. More about the “destination” aspect below.

As far as eating is concerned...
We did the HP "package" (completely unnecessary, btw, I'll explain later – read below). So we had breakfast at the Three Broomsticks. The theming of the restaurant was very nice, but the eats were, shall we say, disappointing... In fact, they were completely unsatisfactory.
The butterbeer was amazingly sweet and unique. Something to savor and enjoy, but nothing you could drink too much of (unless you're under 12 years of age and preparing your body for Halloween!). The pumpkin juice was a nice treat, very sweet too, but priced at $6 per bottle... Seriously, for some juice??? :confused:

Rides:
Flight of the Hippogriff is about a step beyond Goofy's Barnstormer (roller coaster wise); the only thing it offers is a great view of the castle as well as close ups of Hagrid's hut. Buckbeak is a nice Audio-Animatronic
Dragon’s Challenge is a roller coaster – a bit dated in that it is NOT smooth riding at all. Good views at the top of the first hill; otherwise, it is forgettable.
The Forbidden Journey is very well done. The ride vehicles hold 4 people; and let me tell you, they most definitely do turn people away. We saw several people turned away from the ride on the 4 occasions we rode – all due to their size (not height, mind you). This is clearly something that isn’t advertised very well; one girl was in tears, screaming that it was the only reason she came down to Florida. We felt very badly for her. And by the way, the employees at Universal don’t seem to get any training for being compassionate. They’re quite “as a matter of fact,” telling people to exit via a curtained doorway as you board. No sympathy at all.

Here’s my main beef with Universal after this trip. They sell WWOHP as a “destination,” which I knew it wasn’t. But it’s about ˝ the size of Fantasyland in the MK, which is quite small. And there are 2.5 rides (Flight of the Hippogriff counts as a half!) and limited shopping. They are PACKING the crowds into this place; there were waits of up to 2 hours just to get into the WWOHP – never mind the rides!!! They’re also severely under stocked in merchandise! Good luck buying the wands of Dumbledore or Voldemort or Snape. Sold out the first week we were told.
Additionally, when we bought the HP Package, we were told that we’d have front of line access to FJ (I was told this by the rep on the phone) and it was even printed ONLINE (and yes, I have a copy of the website stating this). Obviously, Universal has changed their minds – even though we were told that we’d have Express Pass for FJ, we did not. Okay, I live with it.
But then they state that ONLY those with the HP package could get in at 8 AM (again, I have this in WRITING). Anyone – anyone at all – could get in the park at 8 AM. You had to show a room key to get into the HP section of the park (anyone staying at one of the three hotels, didn’t matter if you had the HP Package or not). So they once again LIED about this “exclusive package.” Glad I was the sucker who bought it, hook, line, & sinker. 
Hind sight: I purchase 1 night’s stay at the cheapest room. Spend the arrival day at Universal and use Express Pass to go on everything. Day two, I’m packed ready to leave and do Harry Potter in the morning; use Express Pass for the rest of the park.

We spent 3 nights (so close to 5 days) at Universal Orlando. We had a nice time. Not great, but nice. The Express Pass (also known as Front of the Line Access) was AWESOME for most of the parks – 2 notable exceptions being Rip Ride Rocket in Universal and Forbidden Journey in IOA. That saved our trip to say the least (the Express Pass). IMO, both parks are (at most) ˝ day parks if you have the Express Pass.

We loved Harry Potter; we purchased a bunch of stuff – wands, candy, tee-shirts, postcards, etc… and I do feel it was worth it when I speak to my kids about their experiences. From an adult’s point of view, I feel a little slighted that Universal Orlando ripped us off in more than one way. I could have saved hundreds of dollars in hind sight – and I’m not one to cry about money – but I feel that Universal is using Harry Potter and all its draw to attract crowds. Because to be honest with you folks, I’d just as soon never return to Universal Orlando. The only good thing about the place was Harry Potter Land – and as I’ve stated before, it’s a pretty small area.

Just my $0.02

If anyone has any questions about Universal, IOA, HP, City Walk, or Portofino, shoot away; I’ll do my best to answer!

Joannelet
07-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Thank you so much for doing this report. I have been waiting for someone to report in detail. I know someone who was there for the opening and they didnt' give me much detail except to be prepared to spend a lot of money and that they loved the FJ ride...but no actual details!
So thank you so much for giving your 2 cents on this because I needed some honest details.....
This is great info!! Thanks a bunch! :)

ibrowse17
07-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Very well done!! Nice to know about the size and crowds, it does impact my thinking:thumbsup:

Pirate Granny
07-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the info and report...we are doing the same thing in September...on night at the pop next day at MNSSHP and then a cab ride after the party to Universal...they are giving me a hard time about getting there after midnight, regardless that I also bought their three day HP package...even though the package is paid in full. Any recommendations for food...especially breakfast...besides three broomsticks...by the way what is the menu there.

Maleficent's Dad
07-25-2010, 07:40 AM
Pirate Granny, the Orlando Sentinel posted the menu for the Three Broomsticks - you can access it here. (http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_food_blog/files/2010/06/broomsticks.jpg)

We had gone to Publix enroute to Universal, so we were stocked in our room for breakfast - cereal, pop tarts, that type of stuff. Kept it simple. So it wouldn't be fair of me to give you breakfast recommendations. Sorry!

NJGIRL
07-25-2010, 08:20 AM
I'm sorry you felt that way about Universal. We love Universal and spend at least two days there every visit to FL and we always tell everyone that is going for the first time to get the most enjoyment out of their trip not to compare it to Disney. IMO while they are Disney's competition they are not meant to mirror Disney in any way. Universal's parks have a different energy. Most teens I know prefer Universal to Disney because it is more "grown up" and the rides are more intense. I have to say I like it just as much as Disney and that was before HP.

As far as what you were told about the package, that is a shame. I think that they have changed some of their "rules" along the way. I know some people were told the Express pass could be used at FJ. I was told right from the begining that it could not be. I was also told that everyone staying at Universal hotels would get in an hour early not just HP packages. While I had correct info, it seems like some people weren't given the same info I got.

HP just isn't a new ride like Toy Story at Disney, it is a whole new section to IOA. If you looked at the hoardes of people and congestion at Toy Story when it first opened I can imagine going to a whole new section of a park with thousands of people trying to do the same thing could become a little stressful.

Thanks for the review!

Jeff
07-25-2010, 08:23 AM
Great practical information!
Thank you!

BowTie7
07-25-2010, 06:06 PM
I have always enjoyed both the Universal parks, but would never want to navigate them during the busy summer/holiday/spring break seasons. Especially at Islands which has just a few major rides.

In the good news department, I just read on another website ("screamscape") that Universal is working to modify the HP restraints to be a bit more user friendly (one click instead of the current three) though it will be a while before that happens.

In a related question, since so much of the HP ride is visual, is there an alternate viewing option for those who can't ride on the bench? I know that Disneyland has a special viewing room for the Little Nemo Submarine and that Seaworld has a non-moving, wheelchair friendly version of their simulator ride.

Maleficent's Dad
07-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Rita, I did enjoy Universal; I just didn't love it like I do Disney, and in fact, I felt it was somewhat inferior to what Disney offers. I know that's an opinion, of course, and I hate doing the "comparison thing," but when I followed up my Universal trip with one to Disney... well, the comparison was inevitable.

Most teens I know prefer Universal to Disney because it is more "grown up" and the rides are more intense.
I can understand why teens find the parks at Universal more appealing. They are much louder (in every area, the music is blaring!) and the rides lend themselves to that demographic. Even the "kiddie rides" in Universal throw in a few glitches for us old folk - namely sudden spins (Cat in the Hat) and water being sprayed on you (One Fish....Blue Fish). Spiderman - as impressive as it was - has to be amongst the loudest attractions I've ever ridden. My ears rung like I'd just left a U2 concert upon exiting!

eandrsmom
07-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks for your review. I will keep it in mind on our next trip. We haven't been to Universal in about 7 years, because we found that they didn't have much to offer very young children. Since my oldest two are now 11 and 12, they've been asking to go see HP at Universal. I have to admit, that I'm still a bit apprehensive to go, especially while everything is still new and crowded. I too, cannot help but compare Universal and Disney. And, it is nice to find someone who agrees that the sound in most of the attractions is deafening. We may wait another year or two before venturing back to Universal.

NJGIRL
07-25-2010, 08:40 PM
My ears rung like I'd just left a U2 concert upon exiting!

I have never noticed the sound being too loud at the Universal Parks. I guess that's because I still drive around with my radio blaring in my car.:blush: I will have to try to notice that during our next trip. The only area that I think Universal is weak is their lack of table service restaurant choices inside of the two parks. I am glad that you enjoyed yourself.

Canuck Park Hopper
07-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the info Maleficent

I looked at the Three Broomsticks package as well, but could not see any real "bonus". Essentially it appeared to me that it was offering a regular room and ticket w/ breakfast tacked on for (in our case for three persons) about $60 - which made no real sense.

We are therefore simply elected to stay at WDW and will trek back and forth as required.

It will be interesting to see what the crowd levels are like mid-October and whether a Front Line pass will be a necessity or not!

PirateLover
07-29-2010, 07:27 AM
In a related question, since so much of the HP ride is visual, is there an alternate viewing option for those who can't ride on the bench? I know that Disneyland has a special viewing room for the Little Nemo Submarine and that Seaworld has a non-moving, wheelchair friendly version of their simulator ride.

It's not just a simulator, it's a dark semi-thrill ride. The closest thing I can compare it to is Spiderman if you've ever been on that. There are segments of movie clips but then you go off onto ride portions and the whole thing is totally in the dark, so I don't see how they'd be able to provide a viewing area.

Magic Smiles
07-29-2010, 08:07 AM
Is the Harry Potter section of the park really a new section or did they just take the back section where the Duelling Dragons Coaster was and convert it into the Harry Potter section? This section use to have 2 roller coasters. The Duelling Dragons, which was closed on our last 2 visits in 2007 & 2008, and a smaller one to the left of it.

We always spend at least 1 day doing Universal and IOA on every trip to WDW, but have never stayed on site at Universal. We are planning to stay on site on our next visit just so that we can benefit from the front-of-the-line pass available only to resort guests. We find that one day is enough to take in everything that interests us.
Their Macy's Christmas parade is lots of fun!

joonyer
07-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Yes, there is not an addtional "island", but one that that has been re-themed and expanded (a little bit, in size). Both coasters from that previous section of the park (it used to be called Merlinwood) are still there but have been re-themed to Harry Potter. "Dueling Dragons" is now "Dragon Challenge" (Tri-Wizard Tournament theme) and "Flight of the Unicorn" is now "Flight of the Hippogriff".

But the village of Hogsmeade is completley new and although small, it is extraordinarily detailed in its themed elements. And the biggest attraction in the WWoHP, The "Forbidden Journey" is an ALL new, state of the art indoor dark ride, using robotic arms mounted on a track that carry the "bench " passengers ride on to give you the sensation of flying through the different scenes, and uses both projection and animatronics. It is unlike any other theme park attraction in the world at the present. The queue alone is an attraction unto itself.

But, the front of the line express pass is not available on the Forbidden Journey, or so I've been told.

LVT
08-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the report. We are debating next May.

TheVBs
08-20-2010, 08:07 AM
Thanks so much for the great report! I'd heard from a friend that while the area was very well done, it was also small and insanely crowded. He did mention they have a post office there where you can get HP stamps and send mail that will have a Hogwarts cancellation on it, which would be really fun!

This makes me feel a little better that our plans to go this Nov. have been put on hold. Maybe going in a year or two when things settle down a bit would be better. We were also thinking of staying a couple nights on property and doing the whole park. But, maybe a better first visit would be a day or partial day visit while we're in FL for something else.

jennsky
08-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks for your post. We were considering going in November during our Orlando visit. Thinking now that maybe we'll wait until next year to visit WWOHP. Thanks for your sharing your opinion!

John
08-20-2010, 08:07 PM
I've been twice this year and going again in October. Crowds, while big are manageable. Personally, I'm glad I didn't wait - and the ride itself was worth the wait.

DisneyDog
08-25-2010, 08:00 PM
It's going to be a while before we get back down to Orlando, so your review makes me more amenable to waiting. I've never been very impressed with Universal -- mostly due to their customer service. And, everything you have stated fits in with my opinion. The last time we were there, we arrived as the park was opening. Staff members were also arriving, through the main gates, talking on their cell phones, half changed into their uniforms/costumes, and stores/restaurants had yet to be opened for the day. Very disappointing when you are used to things being done in a Disney manner, and paying just as much at Universal. In addition, every time I've been there, half of the rides have been broken...and once they even let us sit through an entire pre-show to inform us that the ride was broken (the ride was broken before we entered) and they let us waste our time.

The one nice thing I will say about Universals is that I LOVE their hotels. I much prefer their hotels to Disney. When we used to live in Florida, and had our car with us, we would often choose to stay at Universal and drive to Disney. Plus, we could bring our dogs with us, as they were allowed to stay in the hotels. Now, as an out-of-state vacationer, it doesn't make any sense for me to stay at Universal without my car or my pets. It's easier to just stay at WDW, even though their rooms aren't as luxurious, are more expensive and the beds are smaller. Oh well. Can't have everything.

NJGIRL
08-25-2010, 09:49 PM
That's a shame. In all the times we have been to Universal we have never experienced ANY ride being down. When we have gone it has been Disney that usually has rides down.

Loew's Hotels (no matter where) allow pets. They are great hotels to stay in not only because of their pet policy but they are really 4 star hotels.