PDA

View Full Version : Brown Derby...worth 2 table service meals?

epcot linnie
07-22-2010, 03:44 PM
My daughter has always wanted to try the Hollywood Brown Derby. We are on the meal plan in August and I have made reservations. She is a big Cobb Salad fan, but is this restaurant worth the 2 meals that it will use up on our plan? I don't hear much about it on the discussion boards

3AMommy
07-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Personally I think a lot of people eat there because there aren't a ton of dining options in DHS. I don't normally eat there because we like to use our TS for things like Hoop Dee Doo, Cindy's Royal Table etc.

We just like to do the more "fun" :party:options at DHS like Sci-Fi Dine In or 50's Prime Time Cafe.

But if you are looking for something more upscale then you would probably enjoy this. :)

Have a great trip!

3AMommy:thumbsup:

Pigtunia
07-22-2010, 03:49 PM
It is really nice, and the food is really good. I'm not sure if it's worth 2 credits, though. I guess it depends on what other 2 credit meals you might be looking at.

SBETigg
07-22-2010, 05:04 PM
It is very good, but of the Signature options, it is probably least worth the 2 credits, to me.

A note on Cobb Salad: The Cobb salad will cost extra, not an option on the regular dining plan unless you choose to add an appetizer at your own cost, or unless you're on the deluxe plan. It is served at the table, for two. I found the Cobb salad to be not at all what I was expecting. Very mushy, not many greens, but neat the way it is served at table. If you're used to other versions of Cobb salad, the original might surprise you. But it is good. Their other specialty is the grapefruit cake, which is also good but very grapefruity.

WishingStar2006
07-22-2010, 05:13 PM
I would NOT recommend the Brown Derby...with our without the dining plan...it is fo sure not woth 2 TS!!!! If you want the Cobb Salad just make an ADR for lunch and pay out of pocket....it's $15.00 and is good.

DUring my trip in May I ate there twice (I had deluxe dining plan and was trying desperately to use up all the credits!!! LOL)...I wasn't impressed after the first meal but went back fo the 2nd and ended up sending everything back to the kitchen and ended up with a cobb salad to go!!!!

This is all just my opinion...which is what you asked for. Some people love it!!!! I just won't be going back!

epcot linnie
07-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks for all of your good advice. I switched my reservation to lunch. She wants the Cobb salad so I think I would be better off to pay for that lunch( it appears to be $15 for the salad) out of pocket and use the TS meal credits toward 2 dinners elsewhere!

Zippy 1
07-23-2010, 01:12 AM
Good choice! I do not think it is worth 2 credits. We ate there once and will not go back. We had bad service and food that was not the greatest.

Disneyfamilyof3
07-23-2010, 02:04 AM
We used to use two vouchers for this restaurant for a Fantasmic package: you get dinner and reserved seating at the show. We used to like it. I believe the last time we ate there was 2008,.. so I don't know if the following is still true, but I believe that the BD was a restaurant that offers certain specials for those on the dining plan using two vouchers: IOW's, with certain choices, you could get an appetizer, along with entrée , dessert and beverage. Check their current menu to make sure.

I think the Hollywood and Vine, also at DHS offers a Cob salad; and they only take one voucher? I've never eaten there ( or got the Cobb at BD), so I can't help you there: but you may want to check the menu.

The BD is my favorite restaurant at DHS,... We've eaten at Mama Melrose, Sci Fi Diner, the 50's Prime Time Cafe,... but we've never tried DHV

pox24
07-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Nice location, great atmosphere. Overpriced and not worth 2 credits.

FriendsofMickey
07-23-2010, 10:29 AM
What I have found is that it all depends on the person. We usually go here as part of a Fantasmic package.

My husband really enjoys this location for a number of reasons. He likes the food, the atmosphere, that there are no characters every five minutes. (gets tired of all the character meals :D)

I like it, but if he didn't like it so much, I would go somewhere else. Maybe visit every other or every three visits.

The children's menu is the same as many other places and the food for the kids are not good, IMO.

Both of my inlaws really disliked it. They will probably never step back into the restaurant. I think they just thought it was way overpriced, but I am not really certain why they disliked it so much.

So, as I said, it really is all in what you like.
Since, we go almost every time we visit the park, I am going to say for us, it is worth 2TS... (just because it make dh happy). :thumbsup:

renecat
07-23-2010, 11:17 AM
If you are going because your daughter want to try the cobb salad why not make a lunch reservation and pay out of pocket. We haven't eaten there lately but when we did we had a good experiance.

diz_girl
07-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks for all of your good advice. I switched my reservation to lunch. She wants the Cobb salad so I think I would be better off to pay for that lunch( it appears to be $15 for the salad) out of pocket and use the TS meal credits toward 2 dinners elsewhere!

Maybe you can use those two credits nearby for dinner that night, possibly at the Flying Fish at the Boardwalk or the Yachtsman Steakhouse at the YC. They're not too far from DHS.

TheDuckRocks
07-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Maybe you can use those two credits nearby for dinner that night, possibly at the Flying Fish at the Boardwalk or the Yachtsman Steakhouse at the YC. They're not too far from DHS.

Oh, I agree with completely!!!:thumbsup:
Both Flying Fish and Yachtsman are wonderful.
Brown Derby is just so-so and not worth 2 credits. I think you are wise to just go for lunch and pay out of pocket. And if you don't like grapefruit do not listen to the waitress when she tells you the cake is nothing like eating a grapefruit. Yes it is....same nasty taste.:ack:

SBETigg
07-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Kay, yes, you're right. I do like grapefruit but the grapefruit cake is like eating a lovely white cake soaked in grapefruit juice. I prefer the two separately. A lot of people love it, though. I'm glad I tried it. Same with the Cobb salad. Not what I quite expected, but glad I tried it. I prefer salads with lots of fresh crisp greens. We've always had good food and service, though, and I think it makes a great OOP lunch option.

Disnamic Duo
07-23-2010, 01:25 PM

Sounds like a good choice. This is one of my favorite restaurants in all of WDW, but I wouldn't burn 2 credits from the dining plan on it. When we go for dinner we pay out of pocket. We also LOVE the cobb salad. We're going there for lunch when we go to WDW this Nov.

badkitty
07-23-2010, 06:31 PM
A note on Cobb Salad: The Cobb salad will cost extra, not an option on the regular dining plan unless you choose to add an appetizer at your own cost, or unless you're on the deluxe plan. It is served at the table, for two. I found the Cobb salad to be not at all what I was expecting. Very mushy, not many greens, but neat the way it is served at table. If you're used to other versions of Cobb salad, the original might surprise you. But it is good. .

The Cobb is a service for two? Is that only for dinner? It has been awhile since I've been there and I have only been there for lunch.

The original Chopped Cobb is different than what most places serve today. It is definitely a "chopped" Cobb (very finely chopped) which makes the dish seem mushy. Still a lot of greens, I thought, but they are chopped so thin it mixes with the meat! At least that has been my experience.

SBETigg
07-23-2010, 07:59 PM
The Cobb is a service for two? Is that only for dinner? It has been awhile since I've been there and I have only been there for lunch.

Yes, I was referring to the dinner service. When I had it, it was only for two, not a single order item, and prepared and served tableside as an appetizer, not available as an entree. Perhaps it's different now or just different for lunch, I don't know.