PDA

View Full Version : Help Choose A Name

parrothed26
07-22-2010, 08:04 AM
My wife is prego with our 3rd child. The argument is over naming the child. She had already agreed to name him after my late father Kernis Sherrod Walker, but in hind sight hates the thought of actually having to lol. I submitted Walter Elias as a possible solution, She thinks the name is horrible?
Do you think Walter Elias is a bad name? or other suggestions for a name. Thanks Guys:)

Ms. Mode
07-22-2010, 09:54 AM
So, his name would be Walter Walker? No, I don't think so.

How about Sherrod Elias? That takes some of both your choices.

But, what do I know? My DH names our only child... :)

MMFreak
07-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Years ago when I was pregnant with our first child my husband and I had numerous conversations about a name and we could NEVER agree so we got a baby name book and he used red pen and circled each name that he liked and I took a blue pen and circled each name that I liked. When all was said and done there were only two names that we had both circled and that became my daughters first and middle name Kaitlyn Nicole. Worked out well for us you should try it and if there are more than two names at least you have it narrowed down to names you both like.

SBETigg
07-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Have you considered James Buffet Walker? ;) Just wondering. I love Disney, but I don't think I would be on board with Walter Elias either.

Maybe something with the initials KS in tribute? Or perhaps she would be willing to consider one of your father's names as a tribute middle name? You could also look up derivative names of your father's name and maybe some of those would be appealing? There are some great baby name guides online. I use them to name characters in my books, but I imagine they could be very helpful in finding a baby name with the right fit.

divinedi
07-22-2010, 10:44 AM
I agree with above posters, Kernis? (and please, I mean absolutely no disrespect for your late father) Can you imagine what a beating this poor child will get on the playground, not to mention what they can turn the name into, Kermit, Kernel (popcorn) and those are some of the nice ones! And Walter, will become Wally, and I have nothing against Wally, but I'm not sure that's what you are going for, and Walter Walker is a bit of a mouthful, and sound too much the same.

We did it similar to MMFreak, we each picked names we liked, and if any overlapped, that's what they got, Danielle, Samantha and Katherine!!!

Good luck with the name picking!

cajundisneyfreak
07-22-2010, 10:49 AM
How big of a disney fan are you? You could name him Mickey or Donald.Whichever male character is your favorite.I have 3 sons but none of them are named because of disney.They were named after family members.I have David Anthony,Joshua David,and Adam John.I think Caleb Ryan is nice.Good luck with naming your son! :mickey:

RedSoxandPatsfan
07-22-2010, 11:27 AM
If you're both Star Wars fans then Luke Sky.....

Or, if there's a lot of kicking and stuff, maybe Aniken Sky ..... :darth:

Anyways, congrats to you both and best wishes finding the best name for you.

Dznygrl79
07-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Kernis is original, I happen to like it, but if your wife does not maybe use it as his middle name and have her pick the first name. Or what my family did was ( I am Mary Katherine but everyone calls my Katie and on all official docs I sign M. Katherine) so name him Kernis something than shorten it to whichever second name you pick. Good Luck!

mouseketeer mom
07-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Please, No Kernis. No Walter Elias either!!!

bouncer
07-23-2010, 07:40 AM
I don't care for the names either. They sound like something to live up to for a little one. We had trouble picking names when our son was on the way. My husband wanted David which I thought was way too common (several friends & family named David) or Ethan (from John Wayne movie) but I was worried that if he was going to be a red-headed boy Ethan could get him picked on--he ended up having reddish-blonde hair. We kept the names on a short list and decided to see him before we named him. After labor & delivery DH gave me the decision making power. :blush: His name is Brian Wade.

I agree with others-if you truly want to honor your father's name use it as a middle name to find some middle ground with your wife. Good luck:thumbsup:

Hair_Razor
07-23-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm just going to say it, Walter??? What is she giving birth to a 80 year old? Poor guy will never hear the end of it. What have your other 2 children thought of? Sometimes they can come up with cute stuff,....of course then sometimes they want Buzz Lightyear as their new brother, :D.

diz_girl
07-23-2010, 11:15 AM
I've been sitting back watching this thread since I first saw it yesterday. But now I'm ready to give my :twocents:.

As much as naming your son Kernis would honor your father, naming him Kernis is like naming him 'Please beat me up'. Even in this time of unique names, Kernis is especially unique.

As for naming him Walter, my 45 year-old boss named Walter would probably advise you not to do it. But how about another Disney name, like Roy? Nobody names their kids Roy anymore. I like Roy, it's a very solid name. And it's not a 'beat me up name' either. So one vote for Roy here.

But, you could still honor your father by making Sherrod his middle name.

So how about Roy Sherrod Walker?

meldan98
07-23-2010, 12:57 PM
What about Elias Sherrod or Elias Kernis. My friend named her son Elias and just calls him Eli.

brownie
07-24-2010, 02:01 PM
I'd avoid Walter Elias. As big a Disney fan as I am, I wouldn't use his name to name a child. How about Wyatt instead of Walter?

Cinderelley
07-26-2010, 05:43 AM
We had trouble naming my daughter. There were 3 names that we could agree on, so I let my oldest son pick which one he liked best. My younger son was only 2 and wasn't much help.

I am partial to Prince Phillip. What about Phillip Elias Walker?

Disney Doll
07-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Honor your grandfather with the middle name. That way you get the family tribute, but it's more subtle. Also, remember the #1 rule of baby naming- she who births the child get veto rights. :)

Cinderelley
07-26-2010, 11:01 PM
You could also give him two middle names -
"first name that she picks" Kernis Sherrod Walker. My DS18 has two middle names, because his father and I couldn't agree, and he loves it.

Rekenna
07-27-2010, 12:56 PM
How big of a disney fan are you? You could name him Mickey or Donald.Whichever male character is your favorite.I have 3 sons but none of them are named because of disney.They were named after family members.I have David Anthony,Joshua David,and Adam John.I think Caleb Ryan is nice.Good luck with naming your son! :mickey:

Our youngest son is named Adam John too! John is his great grandfather's name.

parrothed26
07-28-2010, 05:30 PM
Ok, I kinda like the Roy name, or possibly two middle names as Kernis Sherrod. Though Im sure the argument is going to last awhile lol. For those of you thinking Kernis Sherrod is odd, its because my family is Welsh. Believe me there are far worse names in our lineage lol. Any other Ideas?

disneymom15
07-28-2010, 06:31 PM
What about Elias Sherrod or Elias Kernis. My friend named her son Elias and just calls him Eli.

I like both of these. I have to tell you I'm not crazy about Roy.

NokOnHarts
07-29-2010, 12:24 AM
I'm going to add my 2 cents and say that you both should come to an agreement on the baby's first name - neither of you should hate your child's first name. For us, if my husband or I do not like a particular name, it's just not considered anymore, regardless of how much the one might like it. Do some more research into names you both like (lots of great websites on names) and choose something you both can live with. Then as others posted, honor your father with the middle name. No reason it has to be the first name and this way your wife can be happy with the decision as well.

Cinderelley
07-30-2010, 02:06 AM
Ok, I kinda like the Roy name, or possibly two middle names as Kernis Sherrod. Though Im sure the argument is going to last awhile lol. For those of you thinking Kernis Sherrod is odd, its because my family is Welsh. Believe me there are far worse names in our lineage lol. Any other Ideas?

Roy Kernis Sherrod Walker it is then. :thumbsup: :laughing:

Seriously, I hope you guys find something you can agree on. I was in labor with my second DS walking around the mall while we looked at key chains, etc for a girl's name we could agree on. We didn't know if he was a girl or boy at the time. It's a good thing he turned out to be a boy, or he would still be nameless. :D

Hair_Razor
07-30-2010, 10:49 AM
I have a Dylan, it's a very popular name in Whales

PinKy
07-30-2010, 11:23 AM
If you're both Star Wars fans then Luke Sky.....

Or, if there's a lot of kicking and stuff, maybe Aniken Sky ..... :darth:

Anyways, congrats to you both and best wishes finding the best name for you.

LOL! My DS1's middle name is Anakin. We LOVED the name - would have made it his first name but we were worried about any teasing, etc.