PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland first timer trip report...

mom2morgan
07-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Well, I'm a convert!! We've been to Disney World and LOVE it, and were a little leery of our first ever Disneyland trip. But what the heck, it is cheaper to get to for us, and I've always wanted to see it ONCE. I'm here to tell you that we will most likely be back. It is absolutely true that it is a very DIFFERENT experience, and really shouldn't be compared straight across. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and at first I was disappointed with our room. I had asked for the tower with the renovated rooms, and for a daybed, and didn't get either. However, our standard view room in the Magic Tower gave us a GREAT view of the fireworks. Although it was a bit "worn" it was very clean, and Mousekeeping was very good to us (turn down service with chocolates - made us feel pretty special). Glad we stayed ON site - although the pools weren't huge, they seem a great deal better than most of those off site. All the service we experienced was truly excellent. For us, the charm of this park was the compactness - and I don't mean "small". I really didn't feel that it was tiny or crowded compared to the Magic Kingdom (comments I kept hearing before going). It was just amazing to me to step out my door and have DTD right there, and an easy walk to BOTH parks. I honestly don't enjoy DTD in Orlando, and can't see it as a "destination" to make a special trip for, so that was something new for me. I really don't indulge in half the things at WDW (like the sports, and not a big fan of Epcot) so I didn't miss them. Really, the only thing that makes a difference for me in terms of WDW is that I really do like Florida better than California (more exotic climate for us), and I do like the proximity of other attractions such as Seaworld and Universal (my husband and daughters drove to Six Flags from Anaheim and did NOT enjoy the drive. And Shuttles are VERY expensive since it is a hour plus trip). Also, I don't think I will EVER attempt EITHER park in the midst of summer again. I was all right with the heat after the first day, but the crowds just make it not worth it. The first couple hours of the day are really golden and we could walk onto just about everything - but it was very long lines by about 10:00 and they stayed that way clear through to park closing at Midnight. I knew I should expect that, ut it was harder for me to deal with than I thought it would be - and I couldn't help being somewhat astonished that Fast Passes for Splash Mountain at 11:00 had return times of 9:00 pm. But we took it slow and definitely had a lot of fun, and really focussed on doing the things that were unique to the California experience. I'll put my dining review in the dining section!

Melanie
07-21-2010, 05:25 PM
What a nice trip report! Glad you guys had fun. The close proximity of everything is such a plus for me too, and I'm a huge fan of DTD at Disneyland much more so than the one at WDW.

I highly recommend a trip during the holidays. The true uniqueness of Disneyland shines through during this time (and it's not so hot ;) ).

Disney4us2
07-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Glad you enjoyed your first trip to Disneyland. It truely is a different experience than WDW. :mickey:

faline
07-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Glad you enjoyed your time in California! And very glad that you knew not to spend your time trying to compare Disneyland to Disney World! Disneyland has to be taken at it is. It's pretty amazing to know that Walt Disney actually got the opportunity to walk in some of the same places you trod! On our last trip, we did the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour which was lots of fun!

mom2morgan
07-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Glad you enjoyed your time in California! And very glad that you knew not to spend your time trying to compare Disneyland to Disney World! Disneyland has to be taken at it is. It's pretty amazing to know that Walt Disney actually got the opportunity to walk in some of the same places you trod! On our last trip, we did the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour which was lots of fun!\

I also got kind of a thrill out of the Golden Horseshoe - I've been in the one in Orlando, but Walt never had a private box on the balcony there! LOL

eeyorepoohfan
07-22-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm glad you had a great first trip to Disneyland!!!!! Yes Disneyland and WDW are very different and shouldn't really be compared. As you mentioned, it does get hot there in the summer! I prefer Disneyland in the spring or fall. I've been at Christmas once and remember it being pretty cold. Hopefully your next Dland trip will be in a slightly cooler month and less busy for you too! It's always fun to go back to the Original!!!!

mouseketeer mom
07-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Oh, this is such an exciting report to read!! We are heading to DL for our first trip too, in 2 wks, right after we return home from WDW. I cannot imagine what to expect..everyone is telling us how small it is, etc...We are in the Dreams tower, in a new room as per our convention. I don't like DTD in Orlando either, so I don't imagine that I would think of it as a destination either in Cali. Our room faces DTD I was told. And that doesn't sound so exciting to me. But, what do I know..I can't imagine it. I didn't order tickets yet, I'm doing it thru the convention, and I'm confused about how many days we might need. What do you recommend? We are there for 9 days, but of course want to experience other things outside of DL too. Did you go to Hollywood at all? And how did you like the shuttle? We booked the DL resort express shuttle from Lax.

pdrlkr
07-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the Report! :mickey2:

mom2morgan
08-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Oh, this is such an exciting report to read!! We are heading to DL for our first trip too, in 2 wks, right after we return home from WDW. I cannot imagine what to expect..everyone is telling us how small it is, etc...We are in the Dreams tower, in a new room as per our convention. I don't like DTD in Orlando either, so I don't imagine that I would think of it as a destination either in Cali. Our room faces DTD I was told. And that doesn't sound so exciting to me. But, what do I know..I can't imagine it. I didn't order tickets yet, I'm doing it thru the convention, and I'm confused about how many days we might need. What do you recommend? We are there for 9 days, but of course want to experience other things outside of DL too. Did you go to Hollywood at all? And how did you like the shuttle? We booked the DL resort express shuttle from Lax.

Sorry I didn't respond, but we just had a big move out to an acreage and didn't have internet :-) The shuttle was fine - no problems with it, although I did feel a bit lost about "where to wait" at the airport. True enough, you just go out to the center aisle, like they say! (I posted that elsewhere, and you probably already found it). I'd say allow yourself 3-4 "Disney" days. We only made time to go to Six Flags (that is, husband and daughters did - I was happy to skip that one). If we'd had more time, it looks like there are some great tours - including the one to Hollywood. I'm such a Disney-o-phile that I'd be content to hang around there all the time ;-) Definitely allow yourself some pool time (we liked the quiet cove pools - easier to find a lounge chair, although there is no slide or anything - can't remember if you have young kids). Make sure you take in World of Color at C.A - and we thought that the "picnic" supper was a good way to do it. Focus on doing the things FIRST that you can't do in WDW - Indiana Jones and other attractions that don't exist there - and DON"t MISS Space Mountain - if you like the one in Orlando, I guarantee this one will blow you away :-) Can't wait to hear YOUR trip report!