PDA

View Full Version : Tipping Mousekeeping

PETE FROM NYC
07-21-2010, 01:23 PM
DW and I will be staying at BLT on points for ten days. Just the two of us in a one bedroom.
I know mousekeeping only comes every four days.
What is the proper amount to tip?

DVC2004
07-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Your discretion- a couple dollars probably each time they come. There's only 2 of you.

Personally, and people will probably flame me for this, I don't think it's necessary since you are paying for it in your dues. If it's an outstanding job that's one thing. When we stay all we usually have is the trash and tidy due to the length of our trips. I don't tip for that. There have been a couple occassions where we have checked in and the room not cleaned (dried pasta sauce all over the breakfast bar- cleaned it myself).

greengeen
07-21-2010, 03:17 PM
It's not a tipped position at WDW, so $0 would be "proper". But if you want you can leave whatever you want.

WDW*Dreamer
07-21-2010, 03:33 PM
This is absolutely a personal opinion, so I won't be offended by anyone who disagrees, but...

I always tip mousekeeping (and housekeeping at non-Disney hotels). I usually leave $5/day with a quick Thank You note on the bed. When I think about the dumb things I'll blow $5 on without a second thought, it seems like a small price to pay to make someone's day a little nicer.

DizneyRox
07-21-2010, 03:44 PM

Leave it on the pillow...

dlpmikki
07-21-2010, 04:29 PM
I usually leave something at the end of the trip - say $10 if we have been there a couple of weeks.

DVC2004
07-21-2010, 05:05 PM

Leave it on the pillow...

DisneyRox:funny:

Pirate Granny
07-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Too funny...I just basked this question in accommodation section. Before we only had a three day visit and no housekeeping...so no tip left...next trip will be eight days...so...clean towels on day four and full device on day seven...which is kinda silly if we are leaving the next day...HOWEVER...what to tip???

Disney_Barbie
07-22-2010, 11:21 AM
I always tip mousekeeping (and housekeeping at non-Disney hotels). I usually leave $5/day with a quick Thank You note on the bed. When I think about the dumb things I'll blow $5 on without a second thought, it seems like a small price to pay to make someone's day a little nicer.
I'm about to have this same delema when I try to decide how much tip-money we leave (this is our first DVC stay long enough to have mouskeeping come in)
Not critizising others or anything, to each his own. But this is generally our policy as well, place a $5 bill w/ a stickynote that says "thankyou housekeeping" or something like that. But in previous stays, (non-DVC) when our room is being cleaned very day, we leave $5/day, now that our room is only cleaned once a week, what do you think is a "good" amount? We'll keep it tidy, but I'm sure it will be dirtier (and thus more work for the mousekeeprs) than a room that is cleaned up everyday... so by principle I'm feeling like I should leave more than my general $5 tip, but probably not to the extreem of leaving the equivilent of $5/day. Hmmmmmm, this ones a real head scratcher...

WDW*Dreamer
07-22-2010, 11:34 AM
now that our room is only cleaned once a week, what do you think is a "good" amount? We'll keep it tidy, but I'm sure it will be dirtier (and thus more work for the mousekeeprs) than a room that is cleaned up everyday... so by principle I'm feeling like I should leave more than my general $5 tip, but probably not to the extreem of leaving the equivilent of $5/day. Hmmmmmm, this ones a real head scratcher...

I would leave $10. Just an opinion. I can't explain the logic behind it, it just feels like a good amount to offer as a Thank You for their hard work.

DonLefNY
07-22-2010, 05:54 PM
It's not a tipped position with Disney and I leave 0.

I do tip servers, bell services & valet parking.

Darbylew
07-22-2010, 06:42 PM
I leave a dollar on each day everyday if there
is just two of us in the room. The maids are
so nice and they always make little towel
animals. So cute. I am sure whatever you leave
they will appreciate it.
POFQ Oct. Here we come! Can't wait!!! :D

Simba 1
07-23-2010, 09:04 PM
I would say $5 to $10 for the full service is what we will leave (normally we would leave about $2 per night at a hotel). It is a personal choice. It may not be a tipped position but I doubt they make more than minimum wage and leaving a little something extra makes me feel like I'm creating my own little magical moment for someone else.

Mrs.Mickey
07-23-2010, 10:02 PM
We'll when we stayed at Saratoga they left a basket outside of both my and my MIL room and said to put dirty towels in it so for me that was a no tip trip.

DVC2004
07-23-2010, 10:24 PM
We'll when we stayed at Saratoga they left a basket outside of both my and my MIL room and said to put dirty towels in it so for me that was a no tip trip.

Our first trip home to SSR we took our family and my sister's. Mousekeeping tried to hand my brother in law the basket of clean towels for him to take and I assume hang up. He held the door open for her instead.

Mushu11756
07-24-2010, 11:36 PM
I definitely tip! My first job was a maid in Ormond Beach Fl. at the Maverick hotel for minimum wage and nothing was worse than having to scrub a tub toilet and sink after a stranger:sick:

DonLefNY
07-25-2010, 07:10 PM
............. It is a personal choice. It may not be a tipped position but I doubt they make more than minimum wage.................

Over on another board (that shall remain un-named) they posted the wages for bell, valets and mousekeepers. Mousekeepers starting pay is about $8.50 per hour. Bell and valet were less.

Mushu11756
07-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Over on another board (that shall remain un-named) they posted the wages for bell, valets and mousekeepers. Mousekeepers starting pay is about $8.50 per hour. Bell and valet were less.

Imagine trying to survive and support a family on $8.50 an hour. I grew up in Florida and I know I wouldn't survive living down south again on $8.50

DizneyRox
07-28-2010, 06:58 AM
Imagine trying to survive and support a family on $8.50 an hour. I grew up in Florida and I know I wouldn't survive living down south again on $8.50
Reason #2 I don't live in Florida.

peemagg
07-28-2010, 08:48 AM
We stopped tipping after our second time staying at a DVC resort. Every time we have stayed there has been dirty dishes (put away as clean, YUCK!), on one occasion there were towels left from the previous tenant. We decided then that if we have to clean up after their cleaning, then they don't deserve a tip. A tip is for a job well done, not because you think you deserve it no matter how bad of a job you do.

Mushu11756
07-29-2010, 02:03 PM
I don't know if its the same maid cleaning up after me that cleaned the room prior to my arrival so I tip. I hope to make someones day a little brighter by leaving a tip.

KAT1811
07-29-2010, 04:30 PM

This was pretty much our experience on our last trip. We did 1 week in a studio and 1 week in a 2BR. We did not tip but I really couldn't see what we would have tipped for. I did :mop: :laundry: :vacuum: :dishes: not mousekeeping. When we stay nonDVC I tip each day but when I'm making the beds and doing all the work I'll tip myself. Typically with a margarita :marg: or a glass of wine, or maybe two!

Reason #2 I don't live in Florida.

You crack me up! :laughing: Just out of curiosity what is reason #1?

DizneyRox
07-29-2010, 07:29 PM
You crack me up! :laughing: Just out of curiosity what is reason #1?
Weather or lack of...