PDA

View Full Version : Shades of Green

cmshelton1979
07-21-2010, 11:10 AM
I am curious about Shades of Green. I am wondering how this compares to other resorts. I have looked at a few things on it, it looks nice. I am just curious what type of resort you'd compare it to.

Thank you

T-Belle
07-21-2010, 11:38 AM
The rooms are big! I believe one of the largest on Disney property. It's also a very large resort. I would definitely put it in the deluxe category. The rooms don't have Mickey (hidden or otherwise) everywhere. But are clean and very roomy.

sherriepaul
07-21-2010, 12:01 PM
My family and I are also considering staying there as well next September, and there isn't as much information about this resort on the discussion boards!

T-Belle
07-21-2010, 12:27 PM
I'll see if I can add more info.
*You will have to pay for parking-$11.00 a day I believe
*There is transportation to the ttc as well as the parks. I haven't used this service much as I usually have my car with me. You do get free parking in the parks.
*You are entitled to Disney's emh but not to Magical Express or Disney dinning plan.
*They have (correct me if I'm wrong) the only Mickey head shaped pool. There are also a quiet pool(s?)
*They have a restaurant (very good) and a buffet
* There is a premium coffee bar,for the life of me I can't remember if it's a Starbucks but I know it's Starbucks-ish.
* There's also a very good grab-n-go with fresh danish, fruit cup etc
*Something else I've learned is not to judge the "room availability" calendar on the Shades of Green website as accurate. On several occasions the calendar said that there were no rooms available but when I called to make ressie's there would be many rooms available.

buzznwoodysmom
07-21-2010, 02:46 PM
We've stayed at SOG a few times, only one night at a time, usually when arriving a day earlier than our Disney reservation, and once when we wanted to add a night to the end. The rooms are huge! I'd compare it to a deluxe resort. The only problem we had with this resort is the bus service. Other disney resorts the bus system is supposed to run about every 20 minutes. At SOG, and this may have changed since we last used their bus transportation, the bus will only run once an hour. If you miss your bus by just a few minutes your stuck waiting an hour for the next bus, or would have to find another way to get to the park. With kids its very hard to be on such a tight bus schedule. We missed our bus by maybe 3 minutes, had a last minute potty stop, and ended up walking to the Poly to catch our bus from there. It felt like a long drawn out process and when we got to the park I checked my watch and if we had stayed at SOG we would have still been waiting for the bus. That was our only complaint. The prices are great for the size room you get.

wdwfansince75
07-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Just got back from a week at SoG. Please note that this resort started as the Disney Golf Resort, then was the Disney Inn. It was a deluxe resort when run by Disney. It has been greatly expanded since the Military Welfare and Rec took it over in the 90's. The rooms are about the largest on site, with two queens and a sleep sofa in each room.
In the past, the largest complaint we had was the transportation. Buses run once an hour to AK and DHS, and every 30 minutes to the TTC monorail stop. Buses are very prompt. On this trip, we noted that the buses were upgraded, with a new company running the service (Escot Transportation), and the buses were much improved. The walk to Poly is approximately 400 yards, and rarely took us more that 5-8 minutes. Gave us an opportunity to grab Dole Whips (Self Serve!) on our way back from the parks.
The TTC bus parks closest to the TTC than any other buses, and is right between the AK-TTC and DHS-TTC buses. When the return buses from either of those parks was too long a wait, we used the TTC buses.
One negative change since last trip....Disney no longer allows SoG guests to park free at AK, DHS, or EPCOT. DS#2 checked with Customer Relations, and was shown a memo that the new policy applies to guests of Swan, Dolphin, and the Disney value resorts as well. Not sure if this is temporary...the memo indicated that it was an attempt to reduce the long delays in parking at the other parks, caused by large numbers of guests driving to the parks, rather than using Disney transportation.

The guests at the SoG have typically been about the friendliest that we have met at WDW.

We ate at Mangino's several nights...and the food was good, and much less than comparable meals anywhere else at WDW. We also did the buffet one night, and found it good, and inexpensive. Evergreens, the sports bar near the pool, has beer by the picture, as well as bottled beer, including Yuenglings, at prices well below Disney resorts. The coffee bar serves Starbucks. There is an Ice Cream shop on site, with home made style icecream....

In general, a large, deluxe style resort, beautiful location, friendly staff and guests, close to Poly, for monorail or boats, with acceptable transportation...if you plan...acceptable lower cost food, can use EMH, tickets available without tax, no tax on rooms...You do pay $5 per night to park...parking garage is very conveniently located....as a retired O-6, I paid $131 for the room, plus $5 per night for parking. We got three rooms (both my wife and I could get up to 3 rooms, but we didn't have as large a group as past trips). One of the rooms had a 3rd adult, which added $15 to the price of the room. Rooms have small refigerator, and coffee makers.

T-Belle
07-21-2010, 07:17 PM
the t

One negative change since last trip....Disney no longer allows SoG guests to park free at AK, DHS, or EPCOT. DS#2 checked with Customer Relations, and was shown a memo that the new policy applies to guests of Swan, Dolphin, and the Disney value resorts as well.

I hope this is temporary. While I can understand no free parking for SOG and Swan & Dolphin but Disney's value resort?

Also, can't believe I posted $11.00 a day parking fee-thanks for the correction!

Goofy4TheWorld
07-22-2010, 10:51 AM
One negative change since last trip....Disney no longer allows SoG guests to park free at AK, DHS, or EPCOT. DS#2 checked with Customer Relations, and was shown a memo that the new policy applies to guests of Swan, Dolphin, and the Disney value resorts as well. Not sure if this is temporary...the memo indicated that it was an attempt to reduce the long delays in parking at the other parks, caused by large numbers of guests driving to the parks, rather than using Disney transportation.

If this is 100% correct, and not a misunderstanding on the part of the CM at Disney, this would be a huge shift in policy for Value resort guests to not get free parking.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Renfairwedding
07-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Called two times and talked to two diffrent Res. CM's. Both said Value Resorts do include parking at all parks.

Its not included with NON Disney owned Resorts

pcoleman
07-23-2010, 04:47 PM
remember, all SOG guests can use the Disney buses. Yes, you have to go to the Poly or TTC but I think all the benefits of staying at SOG outweigh the negatives. I guess it depends on what you think is important. There have been times when I've had to wait for another Disney bus because the first one could not fit everyone. If you figure the entire wait probable about 30 minutes. No system is perfect. I have always taken the approach "How bad could it be, I'm in Disney".