PDA

View Full Version : Disney really missing an opportunity in So. Cal...

BrerGnat
07-18-2010, 01:47 PM
So, our family visited Legoland on Friday (we've been there several times) and went to their NEW Water Park. It was amazing! Sure, it was small, but it was very well done, clean, well staffed, safe, and most of all, FUN for everyone! This water park is geared towards kids, mostly, which makes it much, much different from the other water parks in the area. We all loved it! It is a wonderful family water park. I will venture to say, at the risk of being blasphemous, I enjoyed it more than both Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon (WITH the kids...without, there is no doubt that the Disney water parks wins).

It got me to thinking...Disney REALLY dropped the ball here. They have had the opportunity to construct a Water Park near Disneyland for a long time, and for the life of me, I can't imagine what is holding them back. This type of thing could be SUCH a money cow for Disney. There really is nothing comparable in the area, Legoland's park being, really, the only water attraction for YOUNGER kids in the entire So. Cal area (many of the other water parks have minimum height requirements of 48" for the slides, and their kids areas are abysmal).

Legoland's water park is small, and they control the crowds by allowing only 2500 people in at a time, and it's "attached" to the rest of the park. However, Disney has room to build something significantly bigger, and they could really do a great business. The water park was packed, and I venture to guess that Legoland's attendance this summer will increase a HUGE percentage due to this.

So, anyone have any insight as to whether Disney has plans for a water park in Anaheim? I think they need to seriously consider it, if it hasn't been already.

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
07-19-2010, 03:39 AM
There was a rumor a long time ago about the third gate being a water park, mixed with restaurants / shopping (think DtD2), but plans changed.

Knott's has a water park not very far away.

Agreed that if Disney was to do it, the park would be much better.

But they are doing what I would have wanted in the water park at the new and "improved" Disneyland Hotel pool area.
:ack:

robnadina
07-19-2010, 01:02 PM
So glad you posted this about Legoland. We have been talking about going down there in August and checking out the water park. DD is 2 yo and I hear its a great place for even toddlers.

BrerGnat
07-19-2010, 01:04 PM
I don't even think they'd need to build anything more than a straight waterpark to attract people. All they need is to provide a shuttle there and back to the Esplanade several times a day. No need for add'l dining/shopping, etc.

To be honest, they need to build another parking structure, and then utilize ALL that extra parking space for something better than parking space. They could have, technically, built the Mickey and Friends structure much larger than they did (and they should have). The ground level parking area is HUGE, and I can't imagine why they didn't just extend the structure out that way.

And, I don't know if you have been to Soak City, but it's HORRIBLE. Really. There is literally nothing more than a wading pool with some pathetic water features for kids under 48". The slides at the Legoland waterpark are ALL open to guests 42" and up, and their kiddie area is better than anything offered currently by Disney (TL and BB). The babies/toddlers even have their own mini lazy river!

Believe me, locals around here do NOT take their young kids to Soak City. There is even a water park in MY town (Wild Rivers),and we took our kids there last year, and will never return. It's rumored to be closing this year to be replaced by a new, large water park in the Irvine Great Park area. Good thing, because Wild Rivers is horrible as well.

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
07-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the info.
:smickey:

BrerGnat
07-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Adina, you should totally go! Your 2 year old will have a blast! The only thing "off limits" would be the larger lazy river and the three big slides, but the great thing is that the huge pool where the slides empty out (where the dump bucket and waterfall features are) is only about 2.5 feet deep. It's perfect for wading in and playing. The kiddie area is separate (right next to the bathrooms/changing area/lockers/restaurant). It's really nice and large, with three slides (mini replicas of the "big kid slides") and several "squirting Lego pals". Even the pool bottom surface around the squirting models is that rubbery stuff you find at the playgrounds, not concrete! They thought of everything.

There are ample chairs, and even a sandy beach play area! In addition, there are lego "play tables" set up with squirting water where kids can build and play. It's awesome.

My favorite part was the loudspeaker announcement every 2 minutes or so about making sure to take kids on frequent bathroom breaks, reminding that kids 3 and under needed to be in swim diapers, and that a "fecal discharge" would result in closure of the water attraction. Honestly, I loved this. Maybe it was a bit much, but this way, NO ONE can claim that they didn't know the rules about kids and using the pool as a bathroom...
:blush: