PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing POP vs. BWV???

doombuggygal
07-17-2010, 05:34 PM
So, I was fortunate to receive the 40% off Monster pin and booked our upcoming trip at POP Century. Got a great deal with the pin but now am thinking about staying deluxe at the Boardwalk for the first time. We have stayed at Values and Moderates before but never Deluxe. So I called today to price and for around $1200 extra we can upgrage to a studio at the Boardwalk Villas. Now I can't decide, do I be frugal or splurge??? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

faline
07-17-2010, 06:38 PM
If it won't break the bank, I'd go for the deluxe.

Georgesgirl1
07-17-2010, 07:11 PM
How much time will you spend at the resort? The villas are nice, but if you will be spending most of your time in the park, it may not be worth the extra money.

doombuggygal
07-17-2010, 08:01 PM
This will be a Mommy/Daughter trip as my husband will not be able to go and I expect that we will be spending most of our time in the parks.

Disneyfamilyof3
07-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Hi Doombuggygal!:D

Well, you asked a very good question. Had you asked this question before May 2010, I would have said splurge for the deluxe. After the incompetent, nasty treatment my famiy and I received from a couple of the BCR, and resultant lack of accountability by either BCR or Guest Communications, I would urge you to read every single review that you can find on the Internet about BWI before forking over the extra thousand or so of your hard earned money. If you see good reviews in how the front desk and managers treat guests, and really want to go deluxe, I would use online checkin if I were you. My impression of the woman who checked us in at the BCR was that she did not speak a word of English, and we didn't speak whatever language it was that she spoke. The reultant loss of our identifying financial info wasn't really a surprise.

Chances are, you'll have a great time at a deluxe :unless something goes wrong, and you have a complaint: don't expect deluxe treatment.

I have never stayed at the BWI, just the BCR, across the lake. I *can* tell you that if the Christmas decorations are up during your November trip, that would be worth the price of admission right there. They are gorgeous!! True, you could stay at Pop, and just go see the Deluxe decorations for free: just stroll out the world showcase exit from Epcot, or take the boat from Hollywood Studios. Even if you don't stay at the BWI, and the decorations are up, try and take your daughter to see them at all deluxe resorts, particularly the Grand Floridian Resort.

Pop Century is a nice little hotel for the money! We've stayed there several times by choice, over the deluxe or moderates, because of the amount of time we knew we'd spend out of the hotel ( during EFW festival, or waterpark passes). I don't know if you intend on going swimming in November, but if you aren't, I would stay at Pop and save the extra thousand plus.

I'm not sure if you mentioned whether or not you and your daughter were big Epcot fans? The Epcot resorts are all about location; but remember, you are paying top dollar for that priviledge.

Pirate Granny
07-17-2010, 09:49 PM
That's a lot of $$$. Did you check out renting points or AKL or WL. As the PIN would work there too and I'm sure cheaper.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-17-2010, 10:25 PM
I love staying at the Epcot Resort area. But that's a lot of money. If it's not going to break the bank, you should do it, if only once. The convenience of staying in this location is fantastic! I love to be able to walk out the International Gateway and get back to the resort ASAP without having to wait on planes, trains, automobiles, busses and boats.

doombuggygal
07-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Well, after much consideration I think we are going to just stick with our Pop reservation. $1200 will go a long way in paying for flights, dining, MVMCP tickets, etc. Thanks to everyone who responded with all the good advice!

BigRedDad
07-19-2010, 11:03 AM
If this is for BWV (the studio with only one bed), then I say Pop Century. Unless you are sharing a bed, then that sofa/bed is less comfortable than the floor.

I love Pop Century and find it difficult to spend more else where. This is only because I value my money differently. We use the resort for pool break, nap, and sleep. The rest of the time is spent else where at the parks. $1200 is a lot more I can do at the parks or on property than sleep with.

Goofy4TheWorld
07-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Well, after much consideration I think we are going to just stick with our Pop reservation. $1200 will go a long way in paying for flights, dining, MVMCP tickets, etc. Thanks to everyone who responded with all the good advice!

I agonized over the same Monster PIN comparing Pop versus Beach Club, and the money was just too much to change to BC, especially since my next trip is just my wife and I, so we will be at the parks open to close.

We are going to stay at Pop too.

micky95
07-19-2010, 04:27 PM
my dw & i always stay at pop.we love the themeing.since your at disney you wont be spending alot of time at the resort so save your money ,stay at pop and remember all the rooms at any resort looks the same when you turn off the lights.LOL.enjoy your trip. 12 weeks and counting:number1:

DDuck66
07-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Anytime that you can afford the DELUXE they are well worth the money. With the cost of everything lately, we only stay at the DELUXE for SPECIAL occasions!!

eeyorepoohfan
07-21-2010, 07:59 PM
:mickey:My hubby and I just went through this same dilema. We stayed at POP last year and loved it. We are park commandos, so we aren't in our room much. Well I got my first, and now second ever PIN Code. :cloud9: It was so tempting to look to stay at Wilderness Lodge again and get 40% off. However, for us, we couldn't justify the cost.It would have been over $1000 more for our trip. And seeing how we go on a tight budget, that wasn't going to work. So hopefully, the PIN Codes will keep coming and we will be able to afford to upgrade. But for now, we'll be happy at POP! :thumbsup: Enjoy your trip!

Disneyfamilyof3
07-22-2010, 12:26 AM
Smart choice, Doomsbuggygal,

Had I chosen POP over BCR this past May, I probably wouldn't have severed my ties with WDW ( listed under mousellaneous, then complaints).. Even though I'm sure our experience probably wasn't the norm, we feel like we never got an anniversary vacation ( or any vacation!) in May. POP, on the other hand, never failed to live up to promise or expectation. BCR, the deluxe, DID and the lord knows we aren't *that* picky! Give us a pool, a clean comfortable bed, and we are good to go!

Another thing: POP had great budding every time we stayed there! Have fun on your trip!

Disneyfamilyof3
07-22-2010, 12:29 AM
...er... that's BUSSING,... LOL, my darn IPOD touch changes the spelling to what it thinks I want,..:blush: