PDA

View Full Version : Advice on resume

Melanie
07-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Hey all, I figured I'd get some opinions here on my upcoming job search.

I got a job in March at a doctor's office after being a SAHM for 10 years. Just this week, I made the decision to leave the position, as it just wasn't the right place for me. Lots of crazy stuff happening there in all areas of the office. :crazy: Life's too short to be miserable doing something you do 8 hours a day/5 days a week. I'm now going to enjoy the rest of the summer with my kids, and begin another job search when they go back to school.

Question is - do I include that four month stint on my resume? How does would it look to someone reviewing my work history to see I didn't work all those years and then go back to work and only stay a few months?

I would just leave it off entirely, but I did use electronic medical records software that would look good in my experience, and also verified insurance benefits, which I'd never done in the past.

Thanks for any insight! :)

Itchy
07-16-2010, 06:52 PM
I would not hide anything. It looks better to be honest about why you left a job, or why you were out of the job market.

If you did this and they found out it would make them wonder what else you might be hiding.

I do background investigations from time to time for the police department I work for and we want people to tell us all because we will probably find it anyway. Telling us up front is better.

Good luck. Hope this helps:mickey:

DizneyRox
07-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Tough one... You don't want to come off like a gypsy, but if you need that experience...

You could list it in a skills area on the resume even if there isn't anything in your job descriptions. The problem is the possibility of them asking about it and where you worked with those tools.

Disneymom4ever
07-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Gosh Melanie, I'm in somewhat of the same situation, except I don't even have a recent job to put on an application! I've been a SAHM also for 10 yrs, and just recently applied at a hospital nearby. She loved me at the interview, and said I was hired as long as she could call my references to verify. Well, it's been 10 yrs plus, and one wasn't even in business anymore, and the other didn't keep employment records past 10 yrs.! So, they wouldn't hire me! So I'm not sure, I think I would put it on my resume. I think any recent work is a good thing! Especially with the experience you gained. Good luck in your search, I'm right there with you! :mickey:

SBETigg
07-16-2010, 08:15 PM
I would go ahead and list it. I think it shows initiative and a desire to be back out in the workforce. You might have just jumped in and picked something that wasn't the right fit, and I think that happens and it's understandable. Overall, it looks good to me, like you got your feet wet and you've learned about yourself and now you're more ready to know what works for you.

DVC2004
07-17-2010, 12:13 AM
List it and be honest that it wasn't the best fit and leave it at that. I would have a good reason if pressed but don't get into too much detail or badmouth You can say something like I am looking for a place to build a career and there just wasn't any room for advancement...or something similar. It happens. Besides nowadays many places do pre-employment background checks and it would probably show up. If you hadn't listed it it would be awkward and potentially embarrassing to explain. You don't want to look like you are trying to hide anything. Ultimately it was just one job.

DVC2004
07-17-2010, 12:17 AM
BTW- you are right- life is too short. And that is exactly what you can say- life is too short to not do what you love. Who can agrue with that? Good luck!

Dznygrl79
07-17-2010, 08:22 AM
I would definitly put in on your resume, and when and if asked be as honest as possible something to the tone of...while I do not wish to paint anyone in a negative light and list the problems and of you took anysteps to fix them and how they where recieved. But over all make sure they know what a great candidate you are, stress your achievments at your previous job. Good Luck!

Jeff
07-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Mel, I sit on several interview committees a year. I agree that you should list your latest employment, especially since you gained valuable experience and knowledge there. When you are asked why you are seeking to leave there just do not go into a long explanation of why you didn't like your boss or your co-workers. I am always shocked when folks do that and I immediately cross them off as "malcontents".

Good luck!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-17-2010, 11:27 PM
I agree, put it on your resume. When asked why you left, just say it wasn't a good fit and you didn't want to prevent them from getting someone who would work out better.

Melanie
07-18-2010, 09:37 AM
You guys are great! Thank you all for the wonderful advice. :)

Hair_Razor
07-18-2010, 11:04 AM
I agree, put it on your resume. When asked why you left, just say it wasn't a good fit and you didn't want to prevent them from getting someone who would work out better.

As someone who is in a position of hiring people and doing regular interviews, I completely agree with this advise. Keep your reason for leaving simple most interviewers will not press for more information. The last thing you want them to think is anything negative. Also don't say things like "I wanted to spend summer with family" even if it was true; it looks like you might not be serious about the position I am offering. And the truth of your leaving could make it sound like you could be difficult to get along with and have problems in a work environment. We know neither of these things is true so don't invite ideas. :thumbsup: Good Luck!

brownie
07-20-2010, 08:03 PM
You should leave it on.

PopPhan
07-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Leave it on and explain just what you said in your post as to why you left. Honesty is the best policy! (And it gives you opportunity and reason to list the new skill set!)