PDA

View Full Version : how to dress for California Grill?

mickeyluv
07-15-2010, 05:15 PM
We will be dining at California Grill for the first time in two weeks and wonderering how most people dress when dining there?

cather74
07-15-2010, 06:07 PM
I was just there in May with my sister. We both wore sun dresses and saw others that were dressed up too. Some men were wearing nice shorts. Almost all the men had collared shirts. I'd say dressy but comfy.:thumbsup:

SBETigg
07-15-2010, 06:21 PM
There's usually a mix. Some people in more casual, some people more dressed up. The dress code is not that severe, very relaxed. About the only thing you should avoid technically is torn clothing, frayed clothing, bathing suits, t-shirts with inappropriate sayings, and flip flops. I've never seen anyone looking truly terrible, though. Most people are in nicer shorts/polo style shirts for men, a few shirts and ties with dress pants, and sundresses, capris, and nicer shorts for women. You won't be out of place in shorts, but you might feel more comfortable dressed up a bit.

disneykid@hrt
07-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Business casual at the least. It is a nice restaurant and should be treated as so.

MonoMan
07-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Business casual at the least. It is a nice restaurant and should be treated as so.

I couldn't agree more. I don't know that you would be turned away from dining there if you weren't dress appropriately, but you would certainly feel out of place.

SurferStitch
07-16-2010, 07:37 AM
I know what WDW's description of business casual is, but we never wear shorts there.

DH wears khakis or dress pants and a nice button down shirt, long or short sleeve depending on the temp. Sometimes he wears a jacket, too.

I like to wear dressy cocktail dresses, but I may wear something slightly less formal this October. I got some beautiful casual-to-dressy dresses this summer (depending on the jewelry & shoes I wear with them). I love to wear heels and gorgeous jewelry.

As another person posted, Cali Grill is a very nice restaurant, and your dress should reflect that.

You will absolutely love Cali Grill. Have a wonderful meal there. I highly recommend the goat cheese ravioli appetizer. Their BBQ glazed chicken flatbread is also amazing. The filet is always excellent, and if they have scallops on the menu, don't pass them up.

kemps@wdw
07-17-2010, 11:44 PM
Same thing we had on when we left our resort that AM! :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-18-2010, 01:15 PM
I wore a nice silk/cotten blend skort that I'll wear to work and nice top and didn't feel out of place. It was just like going to the theater. You have some people really dressed up and then others dressed like slobs.

Tekneek
07-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Here is the "official policy" at least:

Dress Code Guidelines:
Men: Khakis, slacks, jeans, dress shorts, collared shirts. Sport coats are optional.
Ladies: Capris, skirts, dresses, jeans, dress shorts.

Not permitted in dining room: Tank tops, swimwear, hats for gentleman, cut offs, or torn clothing. While T-shirts are now allowed, the policy remains that T-shirts with offensive language or graphics are not acceptable.

Aim for the more conservative end of that policy and you can't go wrong.

KAT1811
07-19-2010, 11:33 AM
We fine dine often at home and do not dress to the nines but always look tasteful. I often wear a pair of nice jeans and a nice top with a pair of cute sandals or heels. Always coiffed and accessorized. DH typicall wears a nice pair of jeans and a button down or shorts and a polo.

In WDW we tend to be on the dressier side of most guests, even when we are just touring. The girls and I are in mostly cute sun dresses, with our hair always fixed nicely, the boys (DH and DS) are in nice shorts and polos. So when we do go to the nicer restaurants in WDW we typically wear what we have on for the day.

I would dress nice but not too nice. IMHO anything too over the top becomes a spectacle. Maybe you can plan on wearing something a bit nicer during the day while touring the parks if you plan on going to CG without returning to the resort. If you are going back to the resort before going to dinner I would wear a cute sundress with some nicer sandals and some cute accessories.

LoriSan
07-25-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm ashamed to say :blush: that my DH and I went to the CG for my 40th birthday wearing jeans shorts (jorts ;) ) and wet tee shirts. We had all the plans in the world to go get changed and dressed up, then a huge storm hit and we got stuck at MK. By the time we could get moving, we still had to drop DS off at the Wonderland Club at the Poly, and had no time to get changed. We apologized up and down when we got there. I was embarrased, but thankfully they didn't turn us away.

7165red
08-04-2010, 04:47 PM
The only restaurant that it is required to dress is Victoria's and Albert at GF. Just follow the dress code guide lines.

Bellewannabe
08-04-2010, 10:14 PM
We usually plan a neater outfit than what we wear for the day in the parks but have never really felt the need to get too dressed up. We do tend to put on fresh clothes before going. The season should also be considered. In August, I'd wear nicer shorts without a thought.