PDA

View Full Version : Help! Cooperstown, NY!

Bethanymouse
07-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi all! I am planning a surprise Anniversary trip for my husband to go to Cooperstown, NY. Our Anniversary is July 31st and I have planned for us to travel the weekend of October 23. He is a huge baseball fan, specifially Yankees. Any advice for the area. attractions, eateries, etc?

Thank you!

WelshieLover
07-14-2010, 03:13 PM
I can't help you with any real specifics. We werre there a few years back so it has been a while.

On the way there we stopped at Howe Caverns. We enjoyed it and going down into cool cavern was refreshing on a really hot day.

My memories of Cooperstown was the it seemed like a "real" Main St USA like the one at WDW but real.

You will enjoy it there.

kathiep
07-15-2010, 04:45 PM
We took our kids this past November - the first weekend. Let me just say that way up in the mountains, it was already much cooler than it was down here in Jersey. I had to stop in the general store and pick up hats and gloves for when we walked around. :blush:

As the PP stated, it is very "real main street USA". There is really not too much going on in town. We arrived later on Friday and were leaving Sunday morning. Well by 9pm both Friday and Saturday, most things were shut down for the night.

We had a nice casual dinner at Doubleday's Cafe right on the main street. We walked there from the hall of fame. Good food, decent prices - friendly employees.

Lots of gift and memorobilia stores on the main street. One after the other - almost all carrying pretty much the same stuff. Tons of Yankee stuff.

Do you have any plans on where you're staying yet? We stayed at an old inn right in town.

Overall, it was a really nice trip.

BriarRose0708
07-15-2010, 08:06 PM
In late fall there is not as much going on as the summer, but there's still beautiful foliage to see, the Hall of Fame of course, and the Farmers Museum/Fenimore House art gallery. The Omegang Brewery is delightful, you can schedule tours and tastings. I went to college nearby in Oneonta, so if you are up for a short drive hop on I88 and get dinner at Brooks BBQ, a lot of delicious BBQ for great prices (cheaper than you'll find in Cooperstown). If you want to eat in town I recommend the Doubleday Cafe. I hope you have fun!

magicalmom
07-19-2010, 10:39 PM
If you're looking for other activities, I think you're reasonably close to Watkins Glen (gorgeous scenic walk, culminating in a rather stunning waterfall). You're also fairly close to Corning, where the Corning Glass/Steuben factory is a nice tour. Sorry - don't rememmber eateries, it's been a while.

Bethanymouse
10-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks for all your input. We leave this upcoming weekend and are really looking forward to it. Any other info you can offer is appreicated!

BriarRose0708
10-23-2010, 05:53 PM
How was it??? What did you do???

Bethanymouse
10-25-2010, 07:54 PM
It was soooo much fun! We went to Ommegang Brewery, lots of fun, though the tastings pushed me over the ledge:blush:. I am a lightweight. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the brewerly tour. We picked up some goodies!

We also went to the Fly Creek Cider Mill and enjoyed a cute little lunch and did some shopping, cider and local cheese.

We ate dinner at Brooks BBQ as you recommended and we were delighted. Anthony was so happy with that recommendation! Thank you!!!! The food was good and the atmosphere is even better! Lots of fun.

On Saturday we went to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Prior to that we had breakfast at Doubleday Cafe. It was so delicious! Pumpkin waffles! The Hall of Fame was wonderful. Anthony really enjoyed himself and we had a good time looking at all the memorbilia. We took about 4 hours to do the museum and then decided to head back to doubleday cafe for a late lunch. Again, we werent disappointed. Delicious food!

That afternoon we did some window and store looking in all the shops. At night, we went into Oneonta and shopped in the local mall.

It was a wonderful weekend. Thank you for all of your advice! It was perfect!