PDA

View Full Version : grown adults with no kids still disney nuts?

dyin tago
07-12-2010, 12:43 PM
hi,

not sure if we are just weird but we have gone to disney 7 times all the way from canada since 2000, first 2 trips with our son and just dw and I for last 5.

we have done september 3 times with free dining and booked for 10 nights this september.
we do beaches,waterparks and a couple other parks also but our main place is disney.

we seriously considered cancelling and doing something different like vegas which we love but keep being drawn to disney and florida in stifling hot september!

anyway back to my main question, do lots of you who are 40 or over (we are approaching 50):secret: and no kids still love to go to disney over and over?

faline
07-12-2010, 12:49 PM
I think we've now gone without kids more often than we went with kids!

Scar
07-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Well let's see...

I turned 40 four years ago and I've been 6 times since then and am planning another in October... No, I hate going.

dnickels
07-12-2010, 01:02 PM
31, childfree, planning to stay that way (seriously for anyone thinking the right girl will change my mind, I only date women who also want to remain childfree) and definitely a big Disney fan.

I don't know if I'd call myself Disney nuts, if I didn't live in the area most of the year I probably wouldn't make it a yearly vacation because there's a lot more than 47 square miles in Central Florida that I'd like to see before all is said and done.

Besides, there's nothing better than seeing an exhausted looking family pushing/carrying three tired, cranky kids out the gates at the end of the night and having it not be me. :thedolls: (I know, I know, that's just a small percentage, but it reinforces my decision all the more) :mickey:

renecat
07-12-2010, 01:11 PM
We have gone at least 20 times without children. Have taken our grand children a few
times but like the last poster have no desire to be the one with the unhappy cranky children at the end of the day. The youngest we have ever taken were 7 and 8 and they were very well behaved. We are the children when we walk through those gates. I always tell people when they ask if I think they should take there kids yes but not until they are older.

PopPhan
07-12-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm 48, DW is 53, we have no kids (never have) and we have been regular WDW visitors sine 2003! Took her for our 5th anniversary and can't seem to stay away for more than about 18 months!! September will be our 8th (childless) trip.

tdk316
07-12-2010, 01:28 PM
We went frequently before we had kids and will be taking the kids in October, but we're flying solo without them in December! :mickey:

mdricks
07-12-2010, 01:28 PM
I thought that was what food and wine at Epcot was for?!?!?

Every year, solo or with buds. Hit all the parks stuff our faces, play some golf.

As i (jokingly) tell my kids....

Mickey loves me more cause i have the money!
:number1:

Goofy4TheWorld
07-12-2010, 01:32 PM
as i (jokingly) tell my kids....

Mickey loves me more cause i have the money!
:number1:

lol!

Pixie Power
07-12-2010, 01:36 PM
We go to WDW and do Disney Cruises all the time w/o our kids. I'm certain plenty of our friends think we're weird b/c we go w/o them, but I don't & neither does the hubs. So I do not think y'all are weird at all for being Disney fanatics and going even though you are a couple w/o children.

Go for it & ENJOY! :mickey:

Going2HeavenRU
07-12-2010, 01:37 PM
I am 45 and my husband (42) and I do not have any kids and yet we LOVE going to Disney. I also went to Disney just about every year by myself up until I got married at age 42. It is the trip we look forward to every year.

MarkC
07-12-2010, 01:54 PM
We leave tomorrow for our first ever trip without the kids, who are 20 and 18. Youngest is going to FBLA conventions and oldest decided to stay home and work. I know I've already discovered one thing-- its a lot cheaper for 2 of us vs. 4 of us.

Ms. Mode
07-12-2010, 01:57 PM
We put off our first family trip to WDW until our DD was old enough to enjoy it. So, off we went in 2004 with a 13 year old and all of us love it!

Just last weekend my DH told my DD (now 20 and in college) that Mom and Dad are going to have to take our next WDW trip without her in order to get the discounts...she's not a happy camper. She doesn't think we can have fun without her along....ha ha ha :)

disneymom15
07-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Husband and I have gone atleast 6 times with out our daughter. We're going again this Sept by ourselves and Dec with her and her boyfriend. Now that she's got her own house, I'm sure it will be more trips with just the 2 of us.

Stu29573
07-12-2010, 02:05 PM
We are late 40's empty nest types and we're going on our second "no kids" trip in November...

PinKy
07-12-2010, 02:09 PM
My in-laws go without kids all the time! (their kids are grown of course)

DH and I used to go every year before we had kids and now we go every year with kids - I would assume that would continue after the kids are out of the house..... hope so anyway!

akaDisneyDreamer
07-12-2010, 02:24 PM
I didn't even take my kids till they were grown! We went for the first time in 2008 when my youngest graduated high school, and at that time I was *a~hem* over 50 ... we went back last year and now going again in August (30 days!) My daughters are now 20 and 22 and I'm 50-something and we are certified Disney Nuts! We're Lovin it! :thumbsup:

mattandmandy
07-12-2010, 02:42 PM
My husband and I are in our early 30's and have been to WDW practically every year since we married...thats 4 times WITHOUT children....its now a whole different experience because our last 2 trips and our upcoming one are with our 2 preschoolers.

We are big kids at heart...definitely. We would stand in lines for the autographs, do the character dining and have always loved Fantasy Land at MK.

We do have friends that never understood why we would continue going to WDW instead of Las Vegas or elsewhere, but we have had the best vacations at Disney sans kids! :mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey:

SBETigg
07-12-2010, 02:51 PM
We have kids, but they're older now. And we have treasured every one of our family trips. But we honeymooned at WDW and couldn't wait to get back at some point without the kids. We finally did, and it was amazing. Every bit as wonderful as we knew it would be for the just the two of us, and maybe even better than expected. We're going back as a family next time, and then the husband and I expect to go back without them while they're in college, probably for the F & W fest. We love to go other places, too, but we're not really Vegas types and we love WDW. We'll be adults going without kids, and we'll probably return with our adult children and one day grandkids, and we'll just always be going back one way or another-- but it's so fun with just the two of us.

micky95
07-12-2010, 03:18 PM
my gf now dw took me in 95.i took my 2 sons in 96 13 & 10 yrs old.have gone with my inlaws,have gone with my sister in law & family 2boys 3 & 9 yr olds.have gone with my mother in law & her friend both in their 70s i'll be 50 march 2011 and am going to wdw. my dw & i love disney and have since 95.i tell everyone its better to go as a couple.i'm looking forward to taking my grandkids soon.but as always everyone is different but i enjoy it more with just my dw & i.still counting down 20 weeks to go & aps for 2011 !!!:number1:

Daisy712
07-12-2010, 03:18 PM
We are parents who have gone twice without our children and they were elementary school age at the time. Mind you, they have gone about every year and half throughout their lives and they were ready for a break. We weren't. When we had a chance to get away for a quick weekend, we naturally chose Disney. These were two of the best trips we have gone on. We didn't have to worry about keeping anyone happy and we could do whatever we want. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

aurora, ariel, and bell
07-12-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm 53 and DH is 58. Last year we took the granddaughters ages 3 and 4 and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. They were sooo good. But the previous 6 years we went with another childless couple. We love golfing, dining and doing new things. I will miss the grandchildren this year, but we are going with my dad who is 8o and the other couple. We are all kids at heart and have had a stressful year so far and can hardly wait to go to our happy place and just relax and do what we want to do when we want to do it!:number1:

vicster
07-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Our kids are grown and gone and we still go every year! Going again in September and can't wait. Actually it's more fun without kids. Of course, our kids make fun of us but we don't care.

EJS-Houston
07-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Single, no kids, just turned 50, and I LOVE WDW. I typically go with 1-3 friends and have a ball.

LynBug
07-12-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm only 20, but my very first visit to WDW was when I was 18 years old. My mom, older sister, and I plan on making yearly trips to Disney now! The magic of Disney will never fade. I think it would be more fun for just a group of adults than to bring children along! ;)

Daisy'sMom
07-12-2010, 04:09 PM
DH and I are mid fifties. Since the kids have grown, we have tried other vacations. We went to Europe, did a cruise, and thought about Vegas. I know if we didn't live close enough to go anytime we wanted, that we would not have gone anywhere else. For us, nothing compares to Disney. We spend at least one week each year at the World, and intend to keep taking our day trips. Especially now that we have a grandson to start grooming for a future Disney fanatic. DS has said the first trip must be with him, then we can bring him anytime. And so it continues.:mickey:

MMFreak
07-12-2010, 04:33 PM
I will go to Disney until I can't go anymore. I hope that is 80+ :mickey:

TheVBs
07-12-2010, 04:34 PM
My DH and I went as kids, went once before kids. We've gone 4 times with kids. And will definitely go without kids if they ever decide not to go with us when they're grown. It's a blast no matter what - kids or no kids! :mickey:

debandbub
07-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Two 40-something's here and we are also child-free. We've done 10 Disney vacations and heading for our 11th in 93 days. When the subject of Disney vacations comes up and people wonder what's there to do for adults, we give them our loooong list of things we do. We usually end the conversation by explaining that "Disney is no place for children!" :silly::funny:

Ksmith75
07-12-2010, 09:18 PM
DH and I are both 35 and it is just us. We have gone the past 4 years and are planning our trip for feb next year, as I write this. We have so much fun and could not imagine not going every year! We love it!

Disoriented
07-12-2010, 10:40 PM
We turned 40 at the tail end of the last century. We have never had children and at this point never will. We have probably been to Disney 20 plus times since 95, with a possibility of four trips this year alone. This October will mark our ninth consecutive trip for the Food & Wine Festival, and we are not alone. From my observations there are almost as many couples wandering around Epcot without children as there are with.

People think that Disneyland and hence Disney World were designed for kids, but if you check your Walt history you will find that the inspiration for Disneyland came while Walt was spending a Sunday with his daughters at a local amusement park sitting on a bench while the kids played, thinking that it sure would be nice if there was a place the adults could take there children and also enjoy the attractions. Thus the seed that grew into Disneyland was planted.

So if you ask me, (and I know everyone is) Disneyland and Disney World are places designed for adults, that just so happens that children like to go to also.

donnine
07-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Of course you can have a lot of fun with no kids along, and we have done it quite a few times. My husband and I are 61 and 62 years old, and although we've taken our 4 children quite a few times and enjoyed it very much, we have just as much fun going alone. Our 4 children were ages 11 to 16 the first time we went, so we didn't have the stroller and melt down experience. We just got back from trip #28, and ready for #29.:mickey:

disneymom2000
07-13-2010, 10:25 AM
I am 49 this year and in December I am going solo for the first time. I took my kids the first two times I ever went. They were not disney crazy like I am and my husband really doesn't like to go so for the next 6 times I went with other adults in the family for their first trips and was like a vacation planner/tour guide. Worked out well but now I have run out of people to take so I am on my own. I can't seem to help myself. I do go other places when my husband and I vacation but I really do love Disney.:mickey:

lightyearfan
07-13-2010, 10:52 AM
absolutely yes, me and dw have been going to WDW without our dd now 24, since 06, and since 07 we've been going every six months and i can honestly say that we enjoy ourselves much better now. by the way im 43 dw 42, yes we had our dd very young:), we went from 95-97 , with dd and our last trip with dd was in 99, and she was at that age where parents aren't cool anymore(those with kids understand this), so i said to dw , that's it im not coming back here until she's on her own, that last year she drove us so crazy that we couldn't enjoy the trip. now it's a completely differnt ball game me and dw have so much fun that when we get home we already start planning our next trip down.

victor

okw2006
07-13-2010, 03:37 PM
We are in our late 50's and go without our kids twice a year! (unless they beg us to tag along) Just got to love it!

vicster
07-13-2010, 03:43 PM
We are in our late 50's and go without our kids twice a year! (unless they beg us to tag along) Just got to love it!

Our daughter's a teacher so we go in September when she's in school! No tagging along there...

TikiLounger
07-13-2010, 04:14 PM
My husband and I went on our first trip, sans children, this past fall to celebrate our anniversary, my husbands b-day, and to take in the Food and Wine Festival. We're thinking of making it an tradition.

EeyoresBestFriend
07-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Hiya ~

We also are mid forties, no kid Canadians and are planning our eighth trip! :thumbsup: :cloud9:

Love it and planning on continuing! It's safe, mostly planned by the time we get there and easy to navigate. We are a tonne of restaurants that we know are fabulous and can do as little or as much as we want to in a day!!

Who can ask for more???? :D

darthmacho
07-13-2010, 04:54 PM
I have a little secret: As much as I'm looking forward to taking my little girls this year and for years to come, I'm really looking forward to one day going with just me and my wife again! :blush:

AllDisney
07-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Walt Disney World is a place that when ones' face lights up .......the kid in all of us comes out:thumbsup:

We have gone many times as a couple. We still get to the parks when they open & still stay at the parks until they close.

Once in awhile I do a mom & daughter trip like the one I have planned in April 2011:thumbsup:

DisneyNut6777
07-13-2010, 10:48 PM
:mickey: As it has been mentioned in above posts. My DW and I have no kids, but we are kids when we get to WDW!!:D I am 43 and DW is 33 and we love it, and always will. There is no better place than WDW for us. floating on :cloud9::cloud9: Eating at F&W :D

crltkcagle
07-14-2010, 11:01 AM
I am pretty sure my husband and I will be in the over 50 crowd to visit with no kids in future years. In fact he will probably want to retire to Disney and practically live there! LOL I know I see alot of grandparents at Disney with their grandchildren. I bet they just use those kids as an excuse to go to Disney. LOL Just kidding! I think its pretty normal for older couples to go without kids. Disney isn't just for kids its for everyone. :mickey:

Loweschevy
07-14-2010, 11:07 AM
My parents bought into the DVC last year, so I do not think we will stop going every year at any point. In fact my cousins and their families go every year too, so it's all in the family.

Dedivah
07-14-2010, 11:51 AM
DH and I have 2 children, 6 & 18. We have gone twice with out the kids and can not wait until we can sneak away to enjoy WDW on our own again.

Our next trip is with the whole extended family, though!! 2011 Food & Wine Festival.

ThanxForNoticin
07-14-2010, 12:04 PM
We absolutely love Disney with our kids, especially when they were younger. But in recent years, we have found that you can have a great time at Disney without kids. That's the beauty of Disney. We hope someday in the future we might get to enjoy it again with young grandchildren, too.... there are so many different ways to enjoy the Disney magic.

garymacd
07-14-2010, 03:14 PM
We have gone a few times without the kids and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. We had to since the kids were both in school and could get the time off. Having vacation time in strange parts of the year certainly has its...perks!

Last time we went, we took both kids, a boyfriend and a niece. It was great, too, being able to see everything through different, and now adult, eyes. Our next trip has gone from a family vacation to a grand gathering event. The list of attendees just kept growing.

However, next May is our 30th anniversary, and we are expecting to go by ourselves without any of those pesky kids to slow us down or cramp our style! :blush: :thedolls:

We are not Vegas people, and I don't think my wife would survive a cruise, so, WDW, WL and V&A's here we come...again!

Pigtunia
07-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Definitely!

:party:

LandFan
07-14-2010, 05:12 PM
We are both only 38 but we don't have kids (and will probably not be having any - I teach high school and DH works IT in another school district - we have kids EVERYDAY : ) and we go yearly. We just love it and turn into big kids ourselved.

We do often take my niece (14) and sister or my mom with us but we make sure we go by ourselves every other time.

136 more days...

4disneynuts
07-14-2010, 06:21 PM
We took our DD (ages at that time 10 and 13) for the first time in 2006. We had a fantastic trip. My DH and I then went back in 2007 without the kids and it was awesome. They didn't think that was very nice of us to do. We have since taken the kids now each year but we talk about going back without them very soon. Our oldest DD will start college next year so we will maybe go back then. We to like you love Vegas and want to go back there but we are just drawn to the World. We feel like teenagers (although are 45 and 47) when we step onto Main Street. We don't have to think about work, house chores, school, etc. and can just have fun. :princess::prince:

eeyorepoohfan
07-14-2010, 06:26 PM
People think that Disneyland and hence Disney World were designed for kids, but if you check your Walt history you will find that the inspiration for Disneyland came while Walt was spending a Sunday with his daughters at a local amusement park sitting on a bench while the kids played, thinking that it sure would be nice if there was a place the adults could take there children and also enjoy the attractions. Thus the seed that grew into Disneyland was planted.

So if you ask me, (and I know everyone is) Disneyland and Disney World are places designed for adults, that just so happens that children like to go to also.

:ditto:

My DH are 30 and don't plan on having kids as of yet. We went on our first trip to WDW together last December to celebrate our 7th wedding anniversary and belated honeymoon!!! I am in the process of planning another trip for this December, trying to make it an annual vacation for us!!! We've talked about going other places, but couldn't imagine going anywhere else! We had just a magical and memorable time. And of course, we are still kids at heart! I anticipate us going to WDW every year for the rest of our lives! And since I told my hubby we are going to live to 100, that's going to be a lot of trips! ;)

PETE FROM NYC
07-14-2010, 06:42 PM
DW and I are the worlds biggest kids when it comes to Disney. She is 56, and I am 59. No kids, now or ever. We just bought into DVC our last trip, and are anxiously awaiting our next trip in September.
We sometimes travel with friends or family that have kids, but we can have a blast by ourselves too.
Several years ago, my parents went to WDW, and I was picking them up at the airport. When i saw them coming thru the gate,I ran to them like a little kid yelling Mommy Daddy what did you bring me.
Who needs Kids??

BluewaterBrad
07-15-2010, 02:37 PM
43, married, and no kids. 55 plus trips and counting!! :mickey:

JWB3
07-15-2010, 03:55 PM
I can't tell you all how glad I am to join this thread! And here I was thinking maybe there was something wrong with me being a Disney fan as I enter the late, late 50's! (heck, I've been a Disney fan since age 6!!)

To celebrate our Oct. anniversary (27th), Sept. birthdays (me, 59; DW 53), and to get over the shock of the empty nest as our DS leaves for college in August, my DW agreed to take me to WDW Oct. 2 - 8 for free dining and the F&WF.

After our first trip in 2000 when DS was 8, I knew I was hooked (no Pan pun intended) and started figuring out how many more times we could go before he was lost interest. Five trips later at the age of 15 he said enough! And although I managed a partial fix attending conferences, it just wasn't the same as really being there on a WDW dedicated trip.

So now all I have to do is show my DW a good time and, who knows, maybe set up a return trip in another year or two - wish me luck!! ;)

AdventurerKim
07-15-2010, 08:38 PM
My DH and I are childless and have always gone to WDW sans children; we are just under 40. We go with my parents and/or my brother, so WDW is always all adults for us. And yes, we are WDW nuts and proud of it! :mickey: Although when our niece (2.5 y.o.)and her future sibling (due in Jan.) are old enough, we plan to take them to WDW or DL, though not for many years.

LoriMistress
07-17-2010, 01:16 AM
DH and I are in our thirties, have no children, and love Disney! We visit DLR/DCA and WDW. It doesn't matter how old you are, as long as you're a kid at heart.

divinedi
07-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Been many times with kids, a couple of solo trips, but actually fell in love with Disney on a trip with then bf in '02. We are no longer together and I'm on my own (53) but I will continue to go as long as the body and the money hold out!! (no money right now, I'm on Employment Insurance and going to school, but as soon as I can, I'll be back!!!)

Mrs Bus Driver
07-18-2010, 11:20 AM
It is all about what you think is a vacation. Some people like the beach, some like Vegas and some of us like Disney. I've been to the beach, nice but boring. I've been to Vegas, gambling boring, there are shows, nice but when they are over then what? Been to DL off and on all my life (now 50ish) and plan to go back after they finish the upgrades. Started going to WDW in 2002 and have gotten back 2x since, still haven't seen it all. Love the fact that there are old shows/rides, new ones and ones I haven't been to yet. I look forward to my next trip. OH and I didn't mention the resorts love the landscaping even at the values, while I prefer the moderates. And then there is the staff making me feel at home, very relaxing. What can I say, for children sure, for adults you bet. :mickey:

hokies4life
07-18-2010, 01:21 PM
Fiancé and I are in our 20s and love going on our own. We went 3 times last year with our APs and I've already been again this year on my own. We do plan on having kids in a few years and will probably discover other sides of Disney we don't pay attention to now but we are crazy about it with out kids now.

We also go crazy with our Disney Christmas Decorations...but thats another story lol. :mickey:

E-OR
07-18-2010, 02:19 PM
We started going to WDW in 1995 with our two boys, now 20 & 26. We have made a few trips with only one son while the other was in college and could not go. We did a 25th anniversary trip alone and a business/pleasre trip alone. Just the two of us made for a different but very enjoyable vacation. I am loooking forward to many years of trips with just me and hubby, but have to say that I also look forward to taking grandkids some day. This next September trip will be with the whole family - counting the days!

pixiesmimi
07-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Oh, yeah! :thumbsup: We are 62 and 60 and have been going just the two of us for the last couple of years. Love it! Have even converted DH! :D We love going with the kids and grandkids but also found out we have a totally different kind of fun with just the two of us. Hoping to take a Disney Cruise and park visit just the two of us soon. Our friends can't understand why we keep going back every year, especially without kids. :secret:

ibrowse17
07-18-2010, 07:35 PM
We do not have kids, and still feel like one while at Disney:thumbsup:

kemps@wdw
07-18-2010, 09:21 PM
We were married 14 yrs before we had our daughter, and we went to WDW at least 6-7 times w/our family. And we have been 6 times w/her, and the family, and we're all going again this year for my in-laws 50th anniversary. So, you see, it's been a long term family affair @ WDW for us. And I see many future journeys for this almost 50...ish couple with or without kids.

DisneyKim22
07-18-2010, 10:41 PM
I've lost count of exactly how many times I've been to WDW, but it's been at least once a year for the last 24 years. I entered my 40's 2 years ago....and I'm still going. I've only been there with kids twice. Once about 20 years ago with my cousin's children, and three years ago with my neice and nephews. I have a great time every time and have no problems going without children. I've never even given it a second thought.