PDA

View Full Version : HHN - Age Appropriate?

Canuck Park Hopper
07-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Hi - We are looking at possibly taking in Hallowe'en Horror Nights at Universal and our party is two adults w/ one 11 y.o. However, the young one is not going to do well if things are too intense so the fright houses are definitely a "no-go" for her. However, in looking at the promo website including video clips from the event of the past 20 years, there appear to be parades and other venues that are not so, shall we say, dramatic!

Has anyone taken kids to this event? I notice that they sell a kids' passes (ages 3 to 9) so I assume that this event is not entirely for mature park-goers. Thoughts, etc. appreciated. :thedolls:

John
07-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Having been to about 3 of the Halloween events, I really think they are for teens and above and wouldn't recommend it for younger kids that don't like to be scared.

starryeyes21
07-11-2010, 02:30 PM
HHN is very intense! This is right from the website:

This event may be too intense for young children and is not recommended for children under the age of 13. Adult discretion is strongly advised. There are no child ticket prices available for this event.

I don't know where you saw tickets for 3-9 year olds but there is only one kind of ticket sold to HHN and it's for adults. It is a separately ticketed event, like MNSSHP. There is really no where to escape the intensity of this event. There are several scare zones that you must pass through to get around the park. So, the "houses" are, essentially, also found out in the street.

I would go and watch some videos online that are put out by visitors. Most of those show the scare zones.

I am 28 years old and cannot handle this event. It is very intimidating and intense. It is also very visceral, attacking all the senses at once. Can your daughter handle horror movies like a champ? Does she want to be startled? Does she enjoy walking around in the dark? I hated HHN. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. It's like nightmare fuel :hide2:

NJGIRL
07-11-2010, 06:45 PM
HHN is very intense! I don't know where you saw tickets for 3-9 year olds but there is only one kind of ticket sold to HHN and it's for adults. It is a separately ticketed event, like MNSSHP. There is really no where to escape the intensity of this event. There are several scare zones that you must pass through to get around the park. So, the "houses" are, essentially, also found out in the street.

I agree with this 100%. There are no child tickets because this is too intense for most children. All through the streets cast members are dressed up and sneak up on you and sometimes even chase you. Don't get me wrong this is the best Halloween Party any theme park I have ever been to has but it is very very scarey! One year I saw a girl maybe about 10 crying while in line to go through the gates because a "parade" of marching goons with chainsaws were entertaining us. This is before even getting through the gates! Most streets are also very dark with thick fog.

r4kids
07-11-2010, 07:15 PM
They have the cast members dressed up jumping out, carrying "chain saws" with sound but no chain, they follow you and generally enjoy scareing the life out of you. I would NOT take any of my kids. Way too intense! It's also very dark so it's easy to lose a child.

Canuck Park Hopper
07-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Thanks all!

This event will 100% not be for her then... maybe not even for me either haha!

I guess I saw combined day tickets for the park w/ HHN ticket for the evening.

NJGIRL
07-12-2010, 06:20 AM
I guess I saw combined day tickets for the park w/ HHN ticket for the evening.

That can be it. I know they offer Stay & Scream Tickets if you already are going to be in the park during the day. If I remember correctly those tickets vary in price according to the day of the week and week of the month.

Canuck Park Hopper
07-12-2010, 09:20 AM
That is correct: Wed & Thur being less expensive in comparison to Fri or Sat. The weekend edition is likely more popular and, I think, stays open later (2 am as opposed to 12 am other days). HHN tickets (w/o park) range from about $40 to $80.

Figment1988
07-17-2010, 05:27 PM
i agree with many who have posted. HHN is a very intense halloween event which teeters between PG-13 (in the blood and gore department) and R (perhaps due to language in both Bill and Ted's halloween adventure and the Rocky Horror Picture Show tribute [mostly from the audience who perform callbacks]). the only thing i can say that is it's up to the discretion of the person going.

As for the Stay and Scream, if you're in the park, but don't have a HHN ticket the day you go in, you'll have to pay to upgrade your regular ticket. However, if you have a ticket, and already have the HHN ticket, you can just go to the pre-determined stay and scream holding area and show your HHN ticket to the staff. If there are some upsides to the second choice of S&S, it's that 1. You don't have to endure waiting in line (especially since there is extra security which includes metal detectors), and 2 being that you can go into some houses early.