PDA

View Full Version : POR Transportation

iheartdisney
07-10-2010, 04:55 PM
In searching the threads/posts, there are widely varied impressions on POR's bus transportation. Some think it's great, some not so great. The Intercot info claims that it takes anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes by bus to get to the theme parks. Have you found this to be the case? Would it be worth it to drive ourselves to the parks? I'll be travelling alone with my two boys (ages 6 and 7). When they were little we often drove ourselves because of the double stroller - but never from this resort.

What do you all think? Thanks!

forever a child
07-10-2010, 05:18 PM
In searching the threads/posts, there are widely varied impressions on POR's bus transportation. Some think it's great, some not so great.

I think you'll get the same response. Depends on what people perceive as "a long wait". I don't recall our transportation experience at POR being any better or worse than any other resort. I see post that POR share with POFQ but I have seen buses designated for each resort separately. If you look at is as part of the experience and meet new people from different places..then it never seems long.;)

CleveRocks
07-10-2010, 05:59 PM
My advice is to always ignore any and all posts saying how good or bad bus tgransportation is at ANY resort. The reason is that it's all pretty good at every resort, but like any system, there can be good times and bad times.

If someone posting here lived at POR and could give an overall impression, that would be one thing. But when we visit for a week at a time, we can only report how it was during our week, and that week could have been great or could have had some problems.

I'll give you an example from my week at Polynesian last year. I'm not exaggerating when I say that we NEVER waited more than 2 or 3 minutes for a bus, all week! It got to be a joke among us by the middle of the week.

But here's the thing. Buses at the Poly don't run every 5 minutes ... they run every 15-20 minutes just like at every other Disney resort. So by sheer luck alone, we never waited more than 2-3 minutes for a bus. But think about it ... if there was another family who happened to follow us everywhere by 4 minutes, that means that they NEVER waited any less than 15-20 minutes for a bus during their entire week.

So we went home enjoying the best bus service ever, but the other family would go home having had bad bus service the whole week. And the point is, we were there the same week!

HoosierDisneyFan
07-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Totally 100% agree with CleveRocks!!

We use the Bus System exclusively. We have had great services and waiting at times. Mostly the system has been great.

azcavalier
07-10-2010, 10:50 PM
What they said.

It's always hit or miss. I wouldn't say that it's any better (as far as being on time) than any other resort. However, there are four stops at the resort. What that means is that you should never be a long walk from the bus stop. That has been the case in our two trips to POR.

But we find ourselves driving to the parks more. Not always, but more. It's just faster. You don't have to wait, and your car goes faster than the bus. But the real reason we drive isn't to get to the parks faster. It's to get back to the resort faster. Don't have to wait for the bus at the park, don't have to pack in with everyone else going home. It's just faster.

beckylovestink
07-11-2010, 02:58 PM
I was there during thanksgiving week when it was extremely crowded and we had no problems at all.

on the other hand we stayed at POP in Feb and had the most crowded buses ever....during a "slower time".

GoofDad
07-11-2010, 10:38 PM
I am with AZCavalier.

Sometimes we take the bus, and sometimes we drive. But the determining factor is not the trip TO the park but the trip BACK from the park. If we are staying long enough to "close the park down" we drive, just because of the convenience of not waiting in line and sitting in our car on the ride home after a long day at the park.

Nini
07-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Another good reason to rely on Disney transportation is so that you can enjoy a lovely cocktail, or two, if you're having dinner in the parks (excluding MK, of course) or walking around epcot. :marg:

Denise :cheers: