PDA

View Full Version : Disney Dads

DisneyDadfromPittsburgh
07-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Just curious guys, how many Disney Dads are out there that take a major role in planning the Disney family vacation?

azcavalier
07-09-2010, 10:56 AM
I do.

cantrellmo
07-09-2010, 11:09 AM
I do all the planning for my family. I'm the planner and I'm the Disney nut as well!

Rekenna
07-09-2010, 11:21 AM
While DH is the most awesome Father, Husband and Friend in the whole wide world-he has one flaw...he does no planning!

I love when I read about Dad's planning trips!:thumbsup:

Skippy
07-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Ooh ooh - it's me! I'm the planner, budget maker and all around Disney Dad. DW loves Disney, but is more subtle about it. I think the kids just think Disney is part of the family. Almost a given to go in the winter time or around the DDs birthday.

In all fairness, the planning once in the park is simply to hit the must sees all else is gravy. Each kiddo lets us know their top two or three must sees and my DW and I work them (and ours) in to the day. I also get the benefit of blowing the time out whistle and sending everyone back to the room for naps. I LOVE that one.

Ms. Mode
07-09-2010, 11:53 AM
My DH lets me gather all the information and then we sit down and do all the planning together.

He likes to tell everyone that I'm the WDW fan, but really everyone knows that he loves it as much as I do. He has talked several people into trips in the past few years...lol :mickey:

queenmom9497
07-09-2010, 11:55 AM
I'd have to say it's a 50-50 proposition when we plan a Disney trip. DH has done a lot of the ADR calling while we discuss the trips and go to see the travel agent together! ::mickey::thumbsup:blush:

btharvey
07-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Moi.

DD gets some input (none of us are too thrilled with the Studios, but there are a couple of things we must see ... usually on the same day as AK.

DW smiles and goes along with us ... she's a pool/beach person, so since we stay at Fort Wilderness and split the time between park and pool, she's happy.

Since we trailer it, it's two days going, 7 nights there, and 2 days coming (Sat AM through Tues PM), and we're quite satisfied (though still sad) when it's finished.

kdsjjb
07-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Having never been as a child, I argued and argued with DW about making our first trip. It took a few years and three children before she went ahead and planned a trip anyway, and dropped it on me as a sneak attack after the whole thing was booked and paid for.

That was the only trip she had to plan by herself.

Watching the wonder and excitement in the kids eyes, I fell in love with WDW on that trip and helped plan the next few. Now I do just about everything. Planning which parks for which days, ADR's, special event tickets, tours, whatever we do, I plan. I'll ask the kids and DW which places they want to eat, and if there's anything special that any of them want to do, but after that it's all me.

It's now to the point that I plan trips for family and friends as well. In fact, we have dinner plans tomorrow with a woman DW works with and her husband, so that we can lay out a trip for them.

She ofter says that she created a monster, but secretly i pretty sure she loves it.

grumpyguy
07-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi,my name is grumpy guy and i'm a disney dad.
AND I COULDN'T BE MORE PROUD OF IT!!!!!
yup,i do all the planning,booking adr's the works.I just couldn't leave the details in anyone else's hands.:thumbsup:

DVC2004
07-09-2010, 12:13 PM
LOL my husband plans nothing and has no desire to. He just wants to know when, how long, and sometimes wants to pick out one restaurant. He sometimes asks how much it costs, too, then is sorry he asked. :mickey:

Alaska Disney Fan
07-09-2010, 01:53 PM
My DW had to really convince me to go the first time. Once I started planning that first trip I realized how much fun it would be, after the actual trip I wasn't sure who had more fun, me and DW, or the kids. While we all love Disney, I'm usually the first one to say lets go again. I love planning the trips!

sherriepaul
07-09-2010, 02:41 PM
To be honest DH plans all our trips but strangely for this one I'm the one who has looked most of the day online- have my nose in books checked out from the library, etc. Then I've been going back to him with what I've found, or draggin him to the computer to show him what I've found! I'm sure he will have ideas when it comes to the restaurants!

kakn7294
07-09-2010, 03:13 PM
I make the actual plans - that is, I'm the one who calls to make the arrangements - but the whole family plans our trips together.

brownie
07-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Another Disney Dad here! I do the bulk of the planning with input from everyone else.

WDW*Dreamer
07-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Early on my wife did the planning, but the last couple of trips have been all mine. I LOVE planning the trips1

dave11735
07-10-2010, 02:41 PM
I think it depends on the type of person you are. I'm the Dad, and the bill payer, the price negotiator, etc. I do all the travel arranging for any trip we take. I also change poopie diapers.

2WDW
07-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Count me in, with dining input from family!

forever a child
07-10-2010, 05:57 PM
I am enjoying reading this post and everyone's response. I went with boyfriend for our first trip to WDW with my daughter. He slept all day and lost us in the parks. Needless to say, our relationship did not work out!:down:

I tell my DD that when she marries, it will have to be to someone who understands her love of visiting WDW and willing to spend the $ and enjoy it with her. Anyone got a cute 16 y.o. son who loves Disney that I can hook her up with? :secret:

Anyway, it is great to see so many Disney Dad's!!!!:clappy:

Fangorn
07-10-2010, 07:53 PM
I plan trips for DW and I, 3 of our 4 grown children (the 4th lives in Orlando, and is a WDW cast member), and a host of friends, relatives, friends of relatives and relatives of friends. I've even helped total strangers plan their trip while waiting in line at the grocery store.

Steve

Plex
07-10-2010, 08:10 PM
While I'm not a dad quite yet, I definitely take a big role in the trip planning!

Much like the other Disney guys out there, the first trip was planned almost entirely by the female of the relationship (then girlfriend, now fiancee). She's a huge WDW fan and wanted to go for our last college spring break. I was a bit skeptical and had no idea what I was doing since I hadn't been since I was little, so I let her and her friends we were going with do the planning.

Now I'm making spread sheets and micro managing the trip... all to be cast to the wind when we actually get to WDW.

Planning is much more fun than adhering to a plan :blush:

Rekenna
07-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Planning is much more fun than adhering to a plan :blush:

Agree!:thumbsup:

pdrlkr
07-11-2010, 09:21 AM
I am the planner. But I let my wife make all the calls. :blush:

DisneyorBust
07-11-2010, 12:10 PM
DW is the primary planner, definitely the most organized of the two of us. That being said the primary planning is usually a 60/40 split. We then plan together with the children, including park days, swim beaks and dining ADR's.

Tekneek
07-11-2010, 12:36 PM
My wife likes Disney/WDW/etc, but I am the *real* WDW nut in this family. I listen to park music and podcasts extensively. I am always trying to show park videos shared on the web with the kids. I have studied the parks and am all about efficiently tackling the parks.

If it were up to me, every trip would be a commando attempt to do everything from open to close each day. I've had to trim it back because they're not as keen about that as I am.

PopPhan
07-11-2010, 02:12 PM
I am technically the planner in the house, but with Magical Journeys it's easy! All I have to do is pick the dates!

OK...I do have to pick restaurants and book flights, but that adds to my anticipation, so it's all good!!

Right now, we have 71 days to wait until we are back at our favorite place! Everything is booked, paid for and all we need do is pack!

kemps@wdw
07-11-2010, 11:10 PM
They don't call DH "Tour Guide Mikey" for nothing!!:D

Niecyboo
07-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Strangly enough, when I am planning my own trips to Disney, my husband gets into it as much as I do. You'd think I would be the main planner, but he is just as excited as I am when we go.

RalsFam
07-13-2010, 04:39 AM
I planned our first trip when I was deployed. I ordered all kinds of guide books and was on Intercot as much as possible. When I got home, everything was planned out. It was a bit difficult to make ADR's from the far side of the world:mickey:. Big thanks to Magical Journeys.
My DW told me yesterday that it is time to start planning another trip.:thumbsup:

mludman
07-14-2010, 06:23 AM
i do all the planning for disney vacations from a to z. my wife does all the research/planning for non-disney vacations. i think planning can be as much fun as the trip

steamboat willy
07-21-2010, 11:43 AM
I plan trips for DW and I, 3 of our 4 grown children (the 4th lives in Orlando, and is a WDW cast member), and a host of friends, relatives, friends of relatives and relatives of friends. I've even helped total strangers plan their trip while waiting in line at the grocery store.

Steve

:mickey: That's me too!
I was a Disney Teen early 70's
Moved to Kissimmee by myself at 17 to become a DISNEY WaterCraft :sail: Castmember right out of High School.

Band Parent - yep trip to WDW watching DD march down Main Street. :play:
Ump-teen Disney Vacations and you never have too many pictures of Cinderella's Castle do you?
I am the BIG DD when it comes to Disney Planning.
Reservations, Resort, Dates, Times, Dining, Special Events, it's usually around our Anniversary Too. :wine:
Starts with Magical Jouneys, usually wind up adding additional nights because if we leave on xxxx morning, we can get down there in time to check-in and ride monorail around the MK loop and wake up at DISNEY WORLD. You do know what I mean!
I get ALL the Parks hours, EMH, Fireworks, :fworks:Electrical Water Padgent (Drove and Operated Light Show) times, MNSSHP dates and put them all down on an excel sheet for quick reference and helps to what Park you Hop To each day.
I love to help friends, family, co-workers, strangers with my Disney Info and years of experience.
Now DW and I are making plans to take our 4 year old grandson to DISNEY.

Just call me Double D. Disney Dad :cool:

and Steve too!

DisneyDoug2
07-21-2010, 12:56 PM
I do all the planning for our trips to Disney with some input from the family on were they dinner reservations.

marlyn
07-21-2010, 01:55 PM
I Love seeing all you Disney Dads!! I did all the planning when I was married to my first husband. He enjoyed Disney, but could take it or leave it. I met my new husband 3 years ago and unfortunately he doesn't share my passion for Disney. He has never been to a Disney park nor does he really care to. Lucky for me he doesn't care if I go without him....so I do. I take my kids and we go have our Magical time. Perhaps someday I can sway him...but I don't mind having this as my thing. He loves to camp and hike, and I would rather not...so we each have our own little escapes!

StuckinOz
07-21-2010, 03:09 PM
i do all the planning for disney vacations from a to z. my wife does all the research/planning for non-disney vacations. i think planning can be as much fun as the trip
:ditto:

BluewaterBrad
07-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Our "child" is a Lab. But I do 100% of the planning. Of course my wife has input, but once I lay it out no major changes are needed.:mickey:

Go Steelers!!

Dedivah
07-21-2010, 05:52 PM
I am the planner in our family, so I plan all vacation. Luckily for me, DH is a huge Disney fan and is usually always up for a Disney fix when I am. Our next trip is 10/2011 and he is very excited and talks about it all the time.

Laughin' place
07-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Me Me Me
(see signature, below)
I was a little put off by the whole Disney Mom thing (but I may be a little oversensitive there), although I know they always have one or more "Dad". Still wonder if they considered calling it Disney Dads Panel .... wanna bet , if they did, it wasnt for long ?:secret:

ibrowse17
07-21-2010, 08:28 PM
While not a Disney Dad, I am a very proud Disney Uncle that was very active in the planning of our nephew's first trip to WDW:thumbsup:

Diznee4Me
07-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Another Disney Dad here who does all of the planning. My DW is pretty content with me doing all of the planning for our trips and pretty much goes with the flow. I am the obsessive one - reading everything about the parks, bios, imagineering, etc. She just packs her suitcase and takes the time off from work. :D

jpH/keD
07-22-2010, 10:21 AM
I am the Diznut in the fam. I plan, call, make all the arrangements. However my wonderful DH takes control once we get there!When I see the castle I cant focus and lose all mentions of a plan and a schedule! He gets it all done for us! Teamwork has always been our family strength!! :cloud9: We cant wait to go again!!

Tigerinvestigator
07-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Not only do I plan all of our family trips to WDW, but it seems I plan trips for most of the county we live in now. Word got out how many times we go and how much money we save and now I help many others plan their trips!:thumbsup:

Donald Duck
07-23-2010, 04:46 PM
I have done all the planning for all of our Disney trips from getting there, booking the hotel, making the ADRs,planning which park to do each day and which shows to see each day.

Plus I take all the pictures and video.

:mickey:

Go Disney Dads !

BigThunderFan
07-23-2010, 05:35 PM
I do every bit of planning for our trips, from making the reservations to setting up the spreadsheets with best parks to visit on which days... (yeah I'm kind of a dork that way). If it were not for me we wouldn't visit WDW as often as we do. My DW, God love her, is not as big of a Disney nut as I would like, but we have her outnumbered now!

I not only plan all of the details of our trips down to the minute, I now help everyone at work with their itineraries and give them advice on what/when to do everything. I even make most people's ADR's for them, I should be a TA! But it's what I love to do :joy:

cknorr28
08-03-2010, 09:47 AM
I have planned all of our trips. My Wife isn't really a fan of Disney but she knows that the boys and I are. Been there 7 times and hoping to go again real soon.

darthmacho
08-03-2010, 10:42 AM
I am without a doubt, THE planner of the family, especially when it comes to family vacations and MOST importantly, WDW.
I can't imagine what our trip would be like if I followed DW's lead. Not to be mean, but I picture us getting turned away at restaurants, arriving at parks during crowded peak hours, and having no choice but to wait in long lines for signature rides and late fastpass appointments...
There'd be a lot of standing around saying "What do you want to do next? Followed by time-wasting map study and debate.
I'll take planning any day... :mickey: