PDA

View Full Version : Thrill Rides - How bad are they???

Disneyfirsttimer
07-07-2010, 12:40 PM
We will be visiting WDW in Sept. I have never ridden the following rides because I don't like rollercoasters or drops, etc.:

Splash Mountain
Space Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain
Expedition Everest
Tower of Terror

I don't mind fast or heights like TT or Soarin, just not coasters. I really want to try some or all our next trip as I am not sure when we will be going back. My DS11 loves all rides. Will ride anything he is tall enough for. My DH goes with him (like it or not - but most of the times he likes them). My DD8.5 is like me and doesn't really like them. She rode BTMRR last trip and loved it so my DH feels she would be fine on EE.

Any thoughts on that? Also, how would you rate them in terms of thrill? I really want all 4 of us on them in Sept. I need to stop the fear :blush:.

Karyn

Imagineer1981
07-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Well, I also used to be terrified of roller coasters and i braved the fear just by riding them. I would probably go in this order:

Big Thunder - its fast, lots of curves, but very small drops (if you can call them drops)

Splash Mountain - few small drops and then the big one, but if you master that drop, you'll be fine for any rollercoaster.

If you do ok on those, then I'd do the following:

Space Mountain - very similar to Big Thunder but in the dark, feels faster, and has a few bigger drops

Tower of Terror / Everest - depending how you did above, then its time to brave these as well as Rock N' Rollercoaster.

And remember - its Disney! you'll love it!

forever a child
07-07-2010, 01:07 PM
I am not a thrill ride person myself. I have ridden Splash Mt, Space Mt. and Big Thunder RR out of the 5 rides you have mentioned.

BTRR is excellent and a lot of fun even for me. I road Splash Mt for the first time this May and it the themeing is SO worth the one big drop and if it is hot it is worth getting wet too. :coaster: I can handle Space Mt but it is not a "must do" for me. But I don't think it would be a true Disney trip any more for me with out the other two.

I am trying to build up the nerve to do ToT and Everest. Just not sure on those two yet. So I will follow your post and see what other's have to share!

Strmchsr
07-07-2010, 01:36 PM
RNRC is definitely a big step up from the other coasters. It's short, but the beginning launch, loop, and corkscrews mean you go upside down several times. Still, it's very thrilling and theming of it makes it less "scary" if roller coasters bother you. You're too engaged in the story to be bothered by what's happening on the ride.

EE is unique. The normal coaster part really is pretty tame, but the backwards part is quite exhilarating. I love all coasters, but the going backwards gives me a headache every time.

NewDVCowner
07-07-2010, 02:01 PM
RNRC is definitely a big step up from the other coasters. It's short, but the beginning launch, loop, and corkscrews mean you go upside down several times. Still, it's very thrilling and theming of it makes it less "scary" if roller coasters bother you. You're too engaged in the story to be bothered by what's happening on the ride.

EE is unique. The normal coaster part really is pretty tame, but the backwards part is quite exhilarating. I love all coasters, but the going backwards gives me a headache every time.

Honestly, when I road RNRC we were going so fast and it was dark I didn't even KNOW we went upside down!:blush:

BelleBeauty
07-07-2010, 02:12 PM
I was/ am scared of roller coasters. I really don't ride them outside of Disney. But I've tackled just about everything at this point. The best thing is that the themeing keeps you from thinking about the coaster part of them. I think once you ride them you will put up with the 3-5 seconds of scary just for the themeing.

I think Big Thunder is the best one to start with. It is only rickety because they make it that way. If you sit in the middle to back, you really won't even feel the drops. Next for me would be Splash - everything but that final drop is wonderful, and the drop is over so fast you really don't notice it. At night it is great too because you get a great view of the park (if you can keep your eyes open).

Space Mountain has more twists and turns and can be a bit more scary. It is also in the dark so you can't see what is coming next. For me, once I rode it as a kid I loved it. Now I find my neck/ back hurts when I get off!

TT is one that I've done but don't really enjoy. I haven't done it since they made them individual seat belts, that might help. The ride portion before the drop is definitely worth it though.

EE is fantastic. I was really scared at first to go backwards, but you barely feel it. Again the ride queue and the themeing before the scary parts are worth it. There are definitely more dips and turns but since it is a newer ride it is really much smoother.

RNR I agree is not in the same category as the others. I made myself do it a few years ago and was really scared, but it was fun and I did it several more times that night. The theme in this one and pre-ride portion isn't the focus on this one, just the really fast launch and the loops. Still a good ride and it is really quick!

Happy riding! :mickey:

#1donaldfan
07-07-2010, 02:22 PM
All of Disney coasters are very, very tame.....the only one that comes close to being a "real thrill' ride is RRC....the rest would be found in the kiddie areas at other parks..however let me say that I love Disney and all the rides, so as to not confuse anyone here that I don't like 'em...I do...they are all fantastic rides, superior themeing, as in everything Disney..!!:thumbsup:

MuchLovedMama
07-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Big Thunder is pretty mild in my opinion.

Space Mountain is pretty mild as well but it's pretty dark so that may intimidate you for that reason.

Splash Mountain is just beautiful, peaceful and relaxing in my opinion. That is until the drop. But well worth it. Nothing at all scary until that drop.

Expedition Everest I don't think is much worse than the first 2 but since going backwards may intimidate you as well.

Tower of Terror can really scare you since the number of drops seems to change quite frequently. You may feel like you need to grab your heart off the top of the elevator before you exit.

My household loves all of these rides though and wouldn't miss the chance to do them. DD was 7 and DS was 5 the last time we went and we did them all more than once.

RNRC- I agree with another poster that said that mentioned the blast off and another poster that said they didn't even realize they went upside down. My neice and DD didn't notice it either. I'd probably but RNRC before TOT though if you wanted to work that in for a thrill level.

Hope you can be brave and give at least some of these a try because these are what makes the trip worth it for us.

Plex
07-07-2010, 05:00 PM
The WDW "Thrill Rides" aren't really all that crazy in comparison to thrill rides at other theme parks. Keep in mind that Disney generally goes for an overall quality of ride experience over having the tallest/fastest/most extreme rides.

I would definitely agree with the line of thinking that Imagineer1981 posted. Big Thunder is a pretty tame coaster. It's a lot of fun, but the top speed isn't unreasonable and it just has some hills and twists and turns. It actually has several lift hills, which generally means that its average speed is lower than your typical wood coaster.

Splash Mountain is a big drop at the end, but you're comforted the whole time by Brer Rabbit and friends while you slowly ascend. I think they used forced perspective to make this ride appear taller than it really is. It's only a 52 1/2 feet drop at a 45 degree angle, reaching a maximum speed of 40 mph. That's really not bad in the grand scheme of things. The drop is over very quickly and your terror will quickly be replaced by a general moist feeling at the bottom.

Everest is a bit bigger and it will send you backwards in the middle, so this may be one to put off a bit. Same deal with Rockin' Roller Coaster - it's fast and does several inversions and you really can't see where you're going. The flip side is that the restrains on these rides will make you feel VERY safe.

Space Mountain is a little more tame than the others, however the restraints are less elaborate. No inversions here, but it's fast and will whip you around.

Keep in mind that the rides at WDW are very safe, so there really isn't much too worry about. Just maybe an upset stomach :ack:

SandmanGStefani24
07-07-2010, 08:45 PM
thunder mntn isnt that bad at all. it is loads of fun and you have a blast. (at dusk, you can get great views of Cinderellas castle lit up) Anybody should be able to handle it...

Space Mountain is my favorite ride. The big thing is, you create most of the fear in your own head since you dont exactly know whats happening, or going to happen. Its not that bad, save for one or two drops. You mostly feel a little roughed up after you get off.

Splash Mountain needs to be done at least once, since the story/animatronics are some of the most interesting. The drop definately gets your attention, but at least it's over quick.

As for the Tower...I rode it back in '95 and I'll never do it again. I can handle speed, being upside down, negative and positive G's, but I'm out on drops.

That said, I'm still glad I've ridden each and as the saying goes you never know until you try...

disneymom2000
07-07-2010, 09:22 PM
I do love smooth roller coasters and I especially love drop rides which is why ToT is one of my all time favorites. I have done all the other rides noted except RnR. My daughter however is just the opposite. She did try ToT, Big Thunder Railroad and Splash. She likes Big Thunder because it is fast and the drops are minimal. We won't do any of the other rides anymore though because they were too much for her. I didn't even attempt to take her on Space Mountain or Expedition Everest because they are too intense. It's ok to not like the roller coaster/drop rides. There is so much other stuff there to enjoy.

HackLaSalle
07-07-2010, 09:29 PM
I love thrill rides as a bit of an expert I'll let you in on how I feel about them. And rank them as mildest to wildest.

1. Splash Mountain. As most everyone said before it's just the one big drop. There are a few little fake outs in the middle but nothing too bad. I'd absolutely start on Splash.

2. Big Thunder Mountain Rail Road: A pretty tame coaster and a definite must at night. The speed gets up a little but the drops aren't as bad and the banks aren't harsh. The whiplash factor is a bit high though as it doesn't have the same restraints as some of the other coasters.

3. Space Mountain. The darkness comes into play a bit here. Some of the effects et cetera make it seem more extreme than it is. I'd say it's faster than BTMRR and the drops a bit deeper but overall I think if you can handle Thunder Mountain you'd be ok to do Space. I think the theming of all 3 is worth riding em.

4. Tower of Terror I slot Tower here because I think the speed of RNR and the Backwards of Everest (although if you're reading these boards you're quite prepared for that by now.) up the thrill ride level a bit. Tower in my opinion feels a whole lot less scary because you know it's going to drop. Sure you don't know how many times nor how far each drop will be but it's going to drop. It also gives you at least one breath taking view before it takes your breath away. Again I gotta throw the theming into here. While it does a lot to grow the fear factor it's also a completely intricate amazing part of the story that may be missing from RNR.

5. Expedition Everest This was tough for me but I'd think Everest is less thrilling then RNR while on a whole it's a better coaster and better attraction. It's much in the same vein as Thunder it has that run away train feeling (though much smoother a ride than BTMRR) it's quick and it has some small drops and some pretty steep banks. I think the most thrilling part is to see whether or not the Yeti is working ;) then you go backwards. And it feels faster! It isn't but it certainly feels that way. I think the real thrills kick in here as the backwards part was one of my favorites and made this an A plus attraction for me. The walk up to EE is fantastic and you see a lot of great stuff and if you're a hidden mickey hunter there are plenty to take your mind off the ride that awaits.

6. Rock N Roller Coaster It's the fastest has the most extreme beginning and is over the quickest. It has inversions and hard corkscrews. Now as a big coaster guy. I find it meh. But people who are not into Coasters have told me this is the hardest one for them. It's just the incredible 0-60 launch. Again the darkness is a factor. It makes the ride seem a little more scary in my opinion. I like it when you can see whats coming up and get prepared for it. This you're just getting hit with trick after trick. The glow in the dark signs are a great effect and the soundtrack (if you get the OLD aerosmith music in your car)can help distract you. The theming here doesn't really add to the attraction in my mind. Sure there's the cool video scene at the end but for the most part if you're afraid of rides like Tom Petty says the Waiting Is The Hardest Part and this gives you nothing to distract you from the ride that awaits.

Hope that helps and remember Disney is a family park the thrills aren't going to be that severe. Give it a shot and if you get too nervous most rides will let you chicken out at the loading area.

magicalmom
07-07-2010, 09:32 PM
The drop is over very quickly and your terror will quickly be replaced by a general moist feeling at the bottom.

Ummmm - ya think? :rotfl:

azcavalier
07-08-2010, 08:37 AM
I don't even consider Splash Mountain a thrill ride. Except for that one drop, the rest of the ride is completely tame. And the drop's not scary, unless you're my 4 year old DD. Now that she's 5, she can't wait to ride it again.

Big Thunder isn't really a thrill ride, either. It's a nicely-themed tame coaster. No big drops. Not really fast, either. It's a little rickety, but that's by design.

Since i've gotten older, I tend to stay away from Space Mountain. I like the idea of the ride, but it's just *way* too jerky. I feel like i've been beaten up when it's over, and I have a headache. I did ride it in May to see if the renovations on it improved the smoothness of the ride any, and they didn't.

Rockin' Roller Coaster is awesome. Fast, and smooth, with a great soundtrack. The hairiest ride at WDW, but it's a lot of fun.

I dislike ToT. I love the theming, and the first part of the ride, but I *hate* drop-type rides. I don't like feeling my heart in my throat. Especially when i'm looking outside and see just how high up I am. To me, this is the scariest ride at WDW. I still ride it, though, because my DD 10 begs me to take her on it.

EE is also a great ride, but if you're prone to motion sickness, this could ruin your day. Moving backwards really messes some people up.

plutosnana
07-08-2010, 08:41 AM
I need to stop the fear :blush:.

Your not alone, same here..:blush:

And have fun on your trip!

Disneyfirsttimer
07-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks everyone for all your great replies and feedback. Most of it is what I thought. I know some don't consider the rides I mentioned "thrill rides", but to me they are in comparison to HM or POTC :blush:.

I will definitely give SM and BTMRR a try. Our last trip we had FPs for both in the evening. It was our last night and my DD got sick before we left the room so I didn't get to go on. I planned to though.

Space Mountain I am still on the fence about along with EE. I think ToT is a definite no. Even my DH is saying no for me on that one. I would be happy if I could conquer the 3 MK mountains.

We'll see! Thanks again everyone!

Karyn

Tygger7
07-08-2010, 10:24 AM
The very first coaster I ever rode was Space Mountain. I hate heights & drops and Space Mtn is really very tame.

By contrast, I was TERRIFIED to ride Splash Mountain the first time. Been going to WDW for years and just rode it for the first time in 2008. It stopped right before it went up the big hill (I guess they were taking extra time to load people) and that freaked me out. I made up my mind to ride it again on our last trip in May 2010, and it was fine. I actually rode it 3 times and loved it more each time.

The MK is a great place to get used to coasters. I also do EE with no problem at all...in fact, I LOVE it. I've done RnRR, but don't like how I feel afterwards. ToT...no way, ever.

To be honest, the anticipation and fear are way worse than the rides themselves. Once you get past that thought, you'll have a blast.

Good luck!!

PopPhan
07-08-2010, 11:08 AM
From personal experience as someone who has had problems with vertigo, the dark rides - Space Mountain, RNRC, ToT - did not bother me as much as the 'outside' rides.

That said, the first of the group that I had been on was Splash Mountain. Having had problems with vertigo on the flume ride at Knoebel's Groves, I was expecting to have real concerns when this ride was over. NOPE!! Because of the way Splash is set up, and with the drop being broken up - visually - by the Briar Patch, I had no problems and actually LOVE this ride!

Once I got through that, the other MK 'Mountains' were no problem whatsoever.

It DID take me a while to get up the nerve to try RNRC and ToT, but found that they too have enough theming (sp?) and 'distractions' to alleviate any concerns over what we are going through during the ride itself. On RNRC, I did not even notice the corkscrews and only realized we were in the loop on the way down!

By the time EE opened, I was not only prepared for the ride, I was anxious to try it out! I was VERY pleasantly surprised! A very smooth ride, extremely well themed, and loads of fun!!

One ride that was not mentioned in this thread is Mission Space. This would be one, that if you are a "Nervous Nellie," I would suggest the non-spinning side ONLY! The spinning side exerts a lot of pressure and can cause dizziness, nausea, and just a nasty feeling inside for quite some time after riding. The non-spinning side is your basic simulator, much like Star Tours (although smoother - in my opinion!)

Whichever of these ride you decide to try, if any, enjoy!!!! Have a safe, relaxing and fun vacation!!

forever a child
07-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Most of it is what I thought. I know some don't consider the rides I mentioned "thrill rides", but to me they are in comparison to HM or POTC :blush:.

I will definitely give SM and BTMRR a try.

Space Mountain I am still on the fence about along with EE. I think ToT is a definite no.

You sound just like me!;) I was nervous about SM but was determined to try some new rides during our last trip. I LOVED SM and wish I had ridden it years ago! Can't wait to ride it again, drop and all! I am sure you'll be glad you did too. It seems like a MUST do ride now along with POTC and Peterpan's Flight!

Zawadi
07-08-2010, 11:19 AM
As already said there are 3 reasons for not going on a ride:

Fear (of the unknown)
Medical condition
Motion sickness

The rides at WDW have to cater for the masses so they fall short of the "extreme" class of ride.

Out of all of the rides that I've done at WDW the on that I came of worst on was... TEACUPS at MK :blush:

Otherwise if it is just fear to be overcome then try it once - you might be surprised that you like the ride :) The first time that my niece went to WDW she bailed out of ToT and RnRC several times. To date, her record is doing each of those 13 times in one morning!!!

PlutoPlanet
07-08-2010, 12:23 PM
I skip Everest myself.

I echo Imagineer1981's evaluation of the rides.

LVT
07-23-2010, 07:30 PM
EE seems to me to be the easiest on my spine. I really enjoy it. None are as rough as Universal or 6 Flags. I actually graduated to bigger Roller coasters after WDW. ( at 45 years of age) Try at least one.

Disney Doodle
07-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Like Disneyfirsttimer I also have a fear of some of the faster/higher rides. Even as a child I didn't really enjoy going on slides in the playgrounds. However, this year I have set myself the target of riding Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Rail Road and was also hoping to be able to do Test Track. Can anyone here please let me know your thoughts on Test Track.

Thanks.

Angie

IloveDisney71
07-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Lots of great comments by previous posters. I wanted to add that my DH and youngest DD who was around 17 or 18 at the time got motion sickness during the backwards part of EE. I can ride it a couple of times without any problems but if I try to ride it more than twice in a couple of hours it will start bothering me too.
I cannot ride ToT. I rode it once and knew I shouldn't have since I really don't like straight drops. I think I had a panic attack...I was shaking so bad when it finally stopped dropping (I think it dropped 5 or 6 times) that I could hardly walk off the stupid ride. That being said, I love Splash Mt! Maybe it's because it's just one quick drop and I know it'll be over unlike Tot when you just never know...
My youngest DD is not a daredevil. She has tried every ride at WDW once but many of them she won't ride again because they make her sick but she's old enough now 20 yrs that she can entertain herself while the rest of us ride...unless my DH sits out with her too. He doesn't care for a lot of them either. :secret:
You just have to do what you are comfortable with. Disney offers plenty of other alternatives! :mickey:

joonyer
07-26-2010, 01:00 PM
I still love all of WDW parks and attractions, but after visiting Cedar Point with my now teen-aged boys for a couple of summers, and riding on the big giga and strata coasters there, all of the coasters at WDW seem very mild by comparison. BTTRR now seems like a kiddie coaster, and Space Mountain seems like a wild mouse ride in the dark. RnRC and EE are the only ones that come close to still giving me a "thrill" the way the extreme coasters do. Try Millenium Force (310 feet high, 85 degree drop, 93 mph and over 6,500 feet long) or Top Thrill Dragster (420 ft high, straight up and down, 0-120 mph in 4 seconds) and then the "thrill" rides at WDW will seem a lot milder.

Pirate Granny
07-26-2010, 01:40 PM
I do not like thrill rides at regular parks...but disney's are a bit more tame I think.

Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain are fine...no crazy drops to speak of except the biggie on Splash Mountain, but I agree that the theming is worth the drop. I like Thunder Mountain better at night.

I LOVE EE...it is my most favorite...only one small drop...and the going backwards doesn't bother me a bit...I like it better in the day, rather than at night...

RNRC...now, I really had to work up the nerve to get on this...however, one time, my adult daughter and I got the first row...I was thinking about backing out, except everyone else in line was begging to trade seats...so, I reluctantly got in, so not to disappoint my daughter...and it was the best ride ever...we didn't shoot out of the start, which really bothers me stomach wise 'cause we were pulling the rest of the train...I saw every loop and curve and 'cause of the sturdy harness wasn't afraid at all...still, I don't venture on much as I have balance problems from time to time and am afraid the loops may set it off...and just not worth feeling dizzy the rest of our trips.
:pirate:

exvagirl
07-28-2010, 10:24 PM
We will be visiting WDW in Sept. I have never ridden the following rides because I don't like rollercoasters or drops, etc.:

Splash Mountain
Space Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain
Expedition Everest
Tower of Terror

I don't mind fast or heights like TT or Soarin, just not coasters. I really want to try some or all our next trip as I am not sure when we will be going back. My DS11 loves all rides. Will ride anything he is tall enough for. My DH goes with him (like it or not - but most of the times he likes them). My DD8.5 is like me and doesn't really like them. She rode BTMRR last trip and loved it so my DH feels she would be fine on EE.

Any thoughts on that? Also, how would you rate them in terms of thrill? I really want all 4 of us on them in Sept. I need to stop the fear :blush:.

Karyn

Alright, im 14 so I'll try to give you a kids perspective :) ...lets see

Splash Mountain-great ride, only fear factor is the one huge drop that you can see from outside. Otherwise, relaxing and funny storyline as well. As for the drop, it is so quick that by the time you try to scream, you're already soaking wet :) PS, if you dont wanna get TOO wet, sit on the left side, middle rows :)

Space Mountain-Darkness may spook a few, but not a very "thrilling" ride. A few drops and sharp turns, but nothing too bad. The worst part is the darkness.

BTM-Probably my FAVORITE ride at WDW...great to test how tolerant you are for thrill rides...not many big drops, but they ARE sudden drops and turns. Definitely try this one before you go for Everest or the other higher thrill rides...

Everest-GREAT coaster. Not too bad as far as drops are concerned. One big drop in the middle but other than that, not bad. The darkness and reverse parts might be a little scary for younger kids or adults that get scared as well, but I was 12 and I thought it was amazing.

ToT-OK, I went on this when I was only 7 and it freaked me out...the unexpected timing of the drop was the worst part. If you aren't paranoid like I was, I can see how enjoyable this ride could've been :)

(my pick): Rock and Rollercoaster-GREAT ride, but definitely for the experienced coaster riders...corkscrew and 2 loops, but a great ride either way...

Hope this helps!!!

Rebecca (:

minnie-mouse
07-29-2010, 09:53 AM
I'm not a roller coaster fan in any way but did attempt the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and can tell you, I didn't mind it went fast or the drops but that it was soooo bumpy that I literally felt like I was going to fall out of my seat the whole time. Not fun for me at all!

Kaps
07-29-2010, 11:13 AM
All IMO are pretty Tame compared to other parks. RNRC :thedolls: may be the only one you might not like if your not into coasters

beksy
07-29-2010, 08:37 PM
My sister is scared of thrill rides (I love them) but we are slowly going on these rides. We had her on Splash first and she did fine. Its just the one drop and she was so into everything else that it didn't bother her. Ten years later we went back and I got her on BTMRR. She was shaking but determined. It is now her favorite ride at Disney! It is thrilling enough for her but not scary. She is still fine with Splash too. She rode EE and did fine with it. I just compared it to a bigger BTMRR (not quite accurate but I knew she'd be ok once she was on it and she was!). I can't do Space Mountain so she never has either (physical problems so can't get in and out) but I did it when I was younger and loved it. Just a darker, so feels more thrilling, BTMRR. My sister refuses to try RnRc and I'm not pushing her but she did go on ToT once. That was enough for her. For some reason, I think maybe the atmosphere more than anything, it scares her. We just took it slow, didn't force anything, and now have a great time on some rides she wouldn't dare go on before.

Snow's Mom
08-09-2010, 07:49 PM
A lot of the people responding to the original posts LIKE thrill rides. I don't. I'm with Minnie Mouse, a previous poster---I tried BTMRR the last time and HATED it. I've ridden it before and been fine, but it was really rough and that bothered me this time. Maybe because I'm fifty!

I've done TOT several times, but will use the chicken exit next time. If I knew how many drops there were, I could handle it. But it's unpredictable. The last time, we had a really tame set of drops. Thank goodness!

I've only ridden EE once. Read somewhere that if you're scared of coasters, you shouldn't sit in the front row. No kidding! But no one would trade! Had my eyes closed most of the time. (Yeti? What Yeti?)

Space Mountain? Decapitation comes to mind. I always end up sitting on the floor of the ride vehicle, to avoid getting body parts lopped off by what seem to be near misses with stars. Some people just aren't meant to ride coasters, I guess!

crltkcagle
08-09-2010, 07:58 PM
If you don't like drops I would stay away from Splash and Tower of Terror. Not that they are horrible but they definetly drop you!

BigRedDad
08-09-2010, 08:03 PM
WDW really doesn't have any thrill rides. The big rides you list are tame in comparison to real thrill rides. However, since you do not like big drops, ToT, Splash Mountain's final drop, EE may be too much. All other rides do not have any big drops. The drops they have are fairly small and over quickly.

TikiLounger
08-10-2010, 10:57 AM
I agree...I can't really call any coaster in Disney a thrill ride. They're all pretty tame and just plain fun. The thing that's so special about them all (and IMO sets them far above the coasters anywhere else) is the theming and the queue line experience. What they lack in fear inducing drops, speed, loops, etc., they make up for in pure style. I say, if you don't want to actually ride, at least go through the queue lines and check out the theming...especially Expedition Everest and The Tower of Terror. So fun and full of detail...

Mogie
08-11-2010, 12:34 PM
I used to be scared stiff of roller coasters. It's that awful feeling you get in your stomach when you drop quickly. And had only been on 1 upside down coaster until becoming obsessed with the ones at Disney.

Tower of Terror is the roughest ride. I still don't feel comfortable on that ride and I still get nervous...but so does everyone else, that's the point. You'll survive :)

The easiest of them all is Thunder Mountain Rail Road so you must go on this. I cried on the ride when I was 5 years old, and hadn't been on again until my next visit to WDW at 27 years old! It's an easy fun ride.

Splash Mountain is your typical log flume but Disneyfied to the max. There are a couple steep drops, but nothing out of the ordinary...you'll probably get soaked.

Space Mountain is great. You're in the dark, that actually helped me not seeing where I was going or how far. Seeing what's ahead or how high you climb was part of my fear. Indoor rides, or rides in the dark are much easier.

Rockin Roller Coaster is AWESOME. If you're nervous about going upside down, but really wish you had the courage. You have GOT to try this. You go upside down in the dark and fast enough that you are just pushed back in your seat and can't even tell when you're upside down. And don't be scared of the fast take off in the beginning, its less scary than takeoff on the plane that got you to Florida!

If you had to choose 1, you have GOT to go on Expedition Everest. It is not just good. It's the best ride I have ever been on. The theme and the detail is awesome. Its a little faster and rougher than Thunder Mountain, but its 10x better.

The key to all of the rides, the loops and the drops, is to keep your body loose. I used to make the mistake of tightening up and holding on for dear life. But that is exactly what gave me that awful dropping feeling in my stomach. I learned to stay loose, raise your arms and let the ride TAKE YOU for a ride, and now I cant get enough! :)