PDA

View Full Version : Tired All the Time!

DVC2004
07-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Does anyone have any tips? I feel like lately I can't get enough sleep. I can't keep a regular schedule due to work. Some nights I get home at 10:30pm and others at 6pm. There's no rhyme or reason to my work schedule and I can't do anything about that. My one son attends summer school so we are up every weekday at 7 am, but I always feel like I can go back to bed. I do, then sleep, then wake up still tired and feel like I have wasted part of the day! Any suggestions? I don't know if it's my age catching up to me along with work- I don't ever remember feeling so sleepy before!:confused:

TheDuckRocks
07-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Bad sleep patterns can be a bear for your energy level. The problem I have been having lately is caused by me having trouble keeping my Vitamin D levels in the normal range. Both too much or to little can cause fatigue. You might want to check with your doctor and it can be found out by a simple blood test.
Good luck and you have my premission to pop the first one to make a snide remark about "just being lazy"!

DVC2004
07-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Bad sleep patterns can be a bear for your energy level. The problem I have been having lately is caused by me having trouble keeping my Vitamin D levels in the normal range. Both too much or to little can cause fatigue. You might want to check with your doctor and it can be found out by a simple blood test.
Good luck and you have my premission to pop the first one to make a snide remark about "just being lazy"!

LOL! I feel lazy! I used to have so much energy and be out getting all my stuff done...even caffeine doesn't help!

PirateLover
07-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Check out this thread I posted a few months ago... I got some great tips!http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=169367&highlight=sleep (By the way, just an update on me, it actually turned out that I had an infection!!! I started getting joint pain and went to a rheumatolagist, but it wasn't anything chronic and I'm all better!)

brownie
07-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Exercise can help. Getting active can help raise your energy levels while you're awake, and help you to sleep better.

youngOx96
07-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Have you ever talked with your doctor about this? Do you snore? Among other things, snoring prevents you from getting REM sleep. Your body needs REM sleep in order to rest and recover from the stress of your wakeful hours.

I had similar issues about eight years ago and my doctor referred me to a sleep therapist. I resisted going at first, but after falling asleep while driving home from work a few times I changed my mind. Now that I'm being treated, I wish I had known about this a lot sooner.

I am no expert, but you may have sleep apnea. Trust me; it is NOTHING to play around with. Now more than ever, there are more people that have this disease and don't even know.

Fortunately, sleep apnea can be treated. Treatments vary from person to person just as there are many different ways sleep apnea presents itself.

Of course, it may not even be sleep apnea; it could be one of the other myriads of sleep disorders, or something else all together.

My advice: go to the doctor... ask about sleep apnea or some other sleep disorder, and get treated.

Good Luck,

Joannelet
07-06-2010, 03:01 PM
have your iron levels checked. Being tired all the time is a sign of anemia.

AvaNellMouse
07-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Have your doctor check your level of vitamin D. I live in the sunny southwest and mine got down to "10" and it should be between "40 & 70". :ill:
I was very, very ill for about six months before they figured out what was wrong. I am taking vitamin D now but until it really kicks in he gave me the same medication that they give to narcoleptics so that I would be able to stay awake during the day - It improved my sleep at night, too. This is a pretty serious issue, go see your doctor and keep us posted!

VWL Mom
07-07-2010, 07:40 AM

Have your doctor check your level of vitamin D. I live in the sunny southwest and mine got down to "10" and it should be between "40 & 70". :ill:

I, too, just found out I had a big drop in Vitamin D. Feel a little better knowing I'm not alone.

MNNHFLTX
07-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Count me in as another person with a low vitamin D level. In the last couple of years they've found that vitamin D deficiency can cause a whole host of problems, including chronic fatigue and sleep disorders. And apparently a lot of people (especially women) just don't produce enough of it through regular (short) exposure to natural sunlight. I'm also taking a supplement right now and have been feeling much more energetic. :thumbsup:

DisneyDog
07-08-2010, 10:40 AM
I keep hearing that because of sunblock, we aren't getting vitamin D naturally from the sun anymore. Using sunblock means you have to take vitamin D as a supplement. Sunblock helps protect us against skin cancer, but vitamin D can help prevent other cancers. So, if you aren't taking a supplement, you are still putting yourself at risk.

Jeniflower
07-08-2010, 11:21 AM
I live in Scotland so there ain't a lot of sun here and that can lead to lack of Vitamin D and SAD (seasonal affective disorder). I have a special light box which I use for an hour each day during the winter months that really helps my vitamin d levels and keeps the misery at bay

DVC2004
07-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Thanks everyone I will call the dr. to have my levels checked. Just last night I slept for nine hours, got up then slept 2 hours more...hopefully it's a simple thing.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-10-2010, 11:46 PM
My sis found out that her vitamin D level is low but I don't think she knows it causes loss of sleep. We just thought it was menopause! I guess I should get checked too since my sleep patterns are horrible. Good luck and I hope it's nothing serious.

crazypoohbear
07-12-2010, 05:52 PM
As Payroll Princess said, my Vit. D level was very low. Dr. said it should be 80 and mine is 20
I am now taking 6,000 MG of Vit. D per day!
I have been being treated for spinal arthritis, bilateral chrondomalachia, bulging discs in my neck, plantar fascitisis tendonitis in wrist, shoulder, foot, ankle. and was told today that I had sprained my ankle!
Oh and friday the Doc. told me I have a stress fracture in my spine, saw a diff. Doc today who said it isn't a stress fracture just a herniated, arthritic disc. (he was looking at an xray from October, the other doctor was looking at an xray taken friday)
I am having a MRI done to get a definitive diagnosis!
I am tired all the time, I have no energy, my body aches constantly, I don't get much sun because I have had melanoma so I avoid sunlight if possible.
I hope that from what I have read here taking all this vitamin D will solve most of my problems, cuz I am sick and tired of being sick and tired!!!!
Does anyone know how long I need to be on the vitamin D before I notice a difference???
I'm leaving for Disney in less than one month and I want to be able to walk.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-13-2010, 10:25 AM
You might think seriously about getting a sleep study done. I apparently stopped breathing several times a night, and was exhausted all the time. Many risks. CPAP is now my new best friend that I love to hate.