PDA

View Full Version : hills at VA's Busch Gardens ?

5togetherWDW
07-06-2010, 10:30 AM
I remember reading that VA's Busch Gardens is very hilly. We are planning our first trip (a one day visit) this summer and I'm wondering how bad it is. Are any paths actually too steep for a wheelchair? If so - any hints on how to get around? (We will have one in our party.)
Busch Gardens VA website does not have the marked warning areas as Hershey's does. (We have done Hershey - which is very hilly!) Is the terrain like the old areas (major hills) of Hershey ? Or is the park more modern / accessible? Anyone have any panting level comparisons - we know WDW best -- would it be like entering Epcot's Land pavilion, going over the bridge into Epcot's France, going up the monorail ramp, etc.?

NJGIRL
07-06-2010, 05:56 PM
IMO Busch Gardens is more hilly than EPCOT. I had a stroller with us the last time we went and had to keep a good grip on it. Going up and down was work but it wasn't too bad. I can't remember if they had alt. paths for wheelchairs but I don't think that they did.

Kathy Jetson
07-07-2010, 12:15 AM
We went last month and there are alot of hills. Some are very steep. I was wondering how people in wheelchairs got around. I didn't notice any special paths for wheelchairs either. It is much more hilly than wdw. I love to walk but those hills got me winded. But we still had a great time!

yjgirl32
07-07-2010, 08:57 AM
We were just there for Memorial Day weekend and yes it is very hilly. The one thing you can do is take the train ride or the skyride. My aunt just had a knee replacement and ashma- so it took some planning. The worse hill is going down the path by the LochNess Monster. Good luck- great park- lots of shade.

5togetherWDW
07-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Well, I was given a handicapped guidebook from 2009 -- it does not mention / answer about the hills.
Reading it -- it looks like the majority of the attractions are not accessible. In fact, we may only be able to have one member of our group see shows and do the train ride. (As I read it - transfers are required for all the other rides, many being more than a simple slide "Transfer." And the majority say that guests with mobility issues can't ride because of emergency exit procedures!)
I sure hope these hills are managable - for it sounds like she'll spend the day "enjoying the atmosphere" only . . . .
I emailed Busch Gardens for further info - but have heard nothing back, yet.

NJGIRL
07-11-2010, 08:01 AM
That's not right. I can't believe at this point in time that they are not more hanicap friendly. I can somewhat understand the rides but not the shows. They are a major theme park so I can't see how they can operate that way. The park itself is very pretty so at least she can enjoy that.

5togetherWDW
07-11-2010, 07:55 PM
So, today I got a reply from Busch Gardens - in answer to my specific questions (directly asking about the paths / hills and if the train is the only ride that can actually take a wheelchair) -- they sent a frustrating non-answer.

The entire answer was "You will need to stop by the Guest Assistance Center and they will give you a sheet on what rides your guest who is in a wheelchair can ride." The rest was standard polite form “Thank you for your interest in Busch Gardens Williamsburg" and the same contact info --

It read to me as --" pay for the tickets, enter the park, and then we will answer if we are actually accessible." :(

NJGIRL
07-12-2010, 06:15 AM
Can you try calling the Guest Assist Dept and asking for a supervisor?