PDA

View Full Version : How Crowded During Marathon Weekend?

clausjo
07-06-2010, 09:38 AM
My son and I, and possibly my husband and daughter (but not likely) are going to run in the Family 5K in January. I figured that, since I'll need to take him out of school to run the race, I might as well plan a long weekend trip. We've historically gone the first week in February, but if we're going to be there in January, I'd rather do it then. How are the crowds at this time? Are they higer because of all the races that are going on? I was thinking of going Thurs - Sunday because our small race will be Friday.

Strmchsr
07-06-2010, 11:46 AM
The weekend is packed and don't even think of going to Epcot. That's the most impacted due to the race. I sat in my car for 45 min trying to get into Epcot and then there was no parking. Even the WDW buses had to wait in the line. However, the crowds the rest of the time weren't too bad. The last too Januarys I've seen a huge uptick in the number of South American visitors (it's their summer break) but the parks are still manageable.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-06-2010, 12:02 PM
That's what I've heard too.

Chris - can we get to the other parks? DH's b-day is on marathon day, and he wants to spend the morning at DHS ... how much earlier than usual should we leave to get there?

Strmchsr
07-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Chris - can we get to the other parks? DH's b-day is on marathon day, and he wants to spend the morning at DHS ... how much earlier than usual should we leave to get there?

The other parks weren't too big of a deal. Just normal weekend crowds, which were heavy but manageable. Epcot was the only one that was horrible on race day (though it got better in the evening after the race was over). If you're driving your own car, allow an extra 15-20 min because some of the roads are re-routed. However if you're taking WDW transportation it didn't seem to make much difference on time going to the other parks.

clausjo
07-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Well, maybe just a quick trip up for the race and home the next morning might be our best bet and keep our planned trip for February . . .

Wolf
07-24-2010, 06:29 PM
When is the marathon day that impacts EPCOT? I want to plan around that to avoid the park that morning. Thanks! :mickey:

Strmchsr
07-24-2010, 06:57 PM
When is the marathon day that impacts EPCOT? I want to plan around that to avoid the park that morning. Thanks! :mickey:

Both Saturday and Sunday.

Dyanna
07-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Both Saturday and Sunday.

That is perfect for us since we arrive on Sat afternoon & plan on going to MK on Sunday :thumbsup:

BigThunderFan
07-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Chris, were the parks really crowded or was it mostly the parking/driving situation? From what I have read on different sites some people say the parks aren't too bad for the most part these days, did you think they were that crowded?

Strmchsr
07-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Chris, were the parks really crowded or was it mostly the parking/driving situation? From what I have read on different sites some people say the parks aren't too bad for the most part these days, did you think they were that crowded?

I didn't think the park crowds were too horrible. There were crowds, but not awful. The parking/driving situation was what was really bad. The only issue with the parks was at Epcot where they have an area going from the fountain towards TT & M:S blocked off for the runners. You can only cross at designated areas and only when there are no runners which can make it tough to get over to that area, but the rest of it way okay. Once the marathon was over the traffic flow was smoother, but crowds did pick up a little bit.

BigThunderFan
07-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks Chris! I'm actually running in the marathon this year so Sunday won't matter much to me, but I am curious how MK will be on Saturday. :whew:

Melanie
07-27-2010, 11:20 AM

I'd carefully plan around DHS as well. It's definitely impacted later into the morning. The marathon route is Epcot start, MK, AK, DHS then finish at Epcot. We had a heck of a time getting crossed over Hollywood Boulevard just to get to a bathroom last time we were there. The marathon route snakes around DHS pretty good. There are also lots of spectators outside the main entrance to the park.

As for crowds later in the day on both Saturday and Sunday, I thought they were very manageable. If I weren't part of any marathon activity, I'd just hang at my resort until midday and then make my way to a park.

Strmchsr
07-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Thanks Chris! I'm actually running in the marathon this year so Sunday won't matter much to me, but I am curious how MK will be on Saturday. :whew:

I'm not sure I could be a lot of help on MK. Generally I avoid it on Saturdays. Last year when I was there on marathon weekend I went elsewhere on Saturday. This year I was in MK that weekend on Saturday, but it was also 33 degrees with snow flurries at 1 pm so I'm not sure that was the best indicator of "normal" crowds. :D

BigThunderFan
07-27-2010, 04:55 PM
We usually avoid MK on Saturdays too, but we are making this an "easy" day and our one chance to see Spectro. Anything else we do is just a bonus. After all, I need to be in bed early for that 2am wake-up call! Can't believe we have to be on the bus by 3am for a nearly 6am start... :alarm:

A Big Kid
07-28-2010, 08:13 AM
Can't believe we have to be on the bus by 3am for a nearly 6am start... :alarm:

Actually, you dont have to be on the bus at 3am. The busses start running at 3:am. You have to be on the bus by 4am when the last busses make their rounds.

I've run the WDW marathon 4 times. Crowds at the parks never seemed to be that big of a problem...but then again, after I finish the run I head back to the hotel clean up and then hit the parks.

BigThunderFan
07-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Actually, you dont have to be on the bus at 3am. The busses start running at 3:am. You have to be on the bus by 4am when the last busses make their rounds.

I've run the WDW marathon 4 times. Crowds at the parks never seemed to be that big of a problem...but then again, after I finish the run I head back to the hotel clean up and then hit the parks.

We have Fantasmic Dining at Mama Melrose at 4pm after the race. I figured that would give us time to relax and a nice way to get into the parks without having to do hard core touring. If we can get in a couple rides too, that would be great! :mickey:

A Big Kid
07-29-2010, 03:19 PM
One more thing to consider that might negatively affect crowd level. For 2011, if you wear your medal to the park the day after the marathon you get free admission.