PDA

View Full Version : How Hard To Get Bay Lake?

DZNYGUY
07-02-2010, 02:35 PM
So I need some help (which is why :rocks:)

My in-laws are just about ready to buy into DVC. Our home would be at SSR with the plan they are going with. There will be times, however, for our larger family trips that we would REALLY like to stay at Bay Lake.

My question is: If our home is SSR, how hard is it to get rooms at Bay Lake? If anyone has experienced extreme difficulty we will probably look at making Bay Lake our home (though it costs more $$$). It would be great if you could pick and choose your resort without too much trouble, but it seems like venturing away from "home" can be difficult. Can anyone shine some light on this? Thanks so much!!!

laprana
07-02-2010, 03:57 PM
I think it depends on when you will be going. There are times that DVC resorts are easier to book at 7 months than at other times. For instance, it would probably be pretty tough to get the first 2 or 3 weeks of December, Easter week, Thanksgiving, etc. at Bay Lake. We just stayed in a 2-bedroom there for 11 nights the last week of May, beginning of June. We originally had half of that trip booked at Kidani and had no trouble at all switching it to Bay Lake at 7 months.

It also depends on the accommodations you want to book. You will probably have an easier time getting a 1-bedroom at Bay Lake than a grand villa. I think if you want to be safe, you should buy where you want to stay.

Aurora
07-03-2010, 11:51 AM
The mantra is "buy where you want to stay" because there are so many different factors involved in getting into another resort at 7 months (season, type of room, number of rooms at the resort) that no one can guarantee that you will or won't get a room at a particular resort. The best way to stack the odds in your favor is to choose your home resort based on the advantage of being able to make ressies at 11 months.

You don't say how many people are included in a "larger family trip," but obviously if you're looking to book a grand villa or multiple rooms at 7 months, you will have a harder time.

Good luck with your decision!

MinnieMommie
07-03-2010, 01:06 PM
I don't think you can count on getting BLT at the 7 month window. Even though you will have a better chance some weeks/months of the year if your heart is set on staying at BLT I wouldn't chance it.

I own at BLT and have had difficulty getting reservations there at a 9 and 10 month window at times of the year which should not have been difficult. One was early May. Had to go on a waitlist and did eventually get it.

My recommendation is to buy where you will not mind staying. If you like where you purchase and book at the 11 month window but plan to try to get in elsewhere at the 7 month window it is important to know you may not get into where you want. So my point is you will need to like where you own because you may have to stay there for any given trip. :mickey:

Tinkermom
07-03-2010, 09:32 PM
We got into Bay Lake last October during Food and Wine Festival. We got in about 5 months out, of course we only needed a studio. Typically we get a 2 bedroom as we are a family of five but the October trip was a 20th anniversary trip for DH and I. :cloud9:

We own at SSR and Vero and have never had a problem getting in where we want. We have stayed at every resort on property, most multiple times. Every DVC resort is wonderful and we enjoy staying at a different one each time. We are flexible though and always call with our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices. :mickey: Usually always get our 1st or 2nd choice.

DZNYGUY
07-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Thank you so much everyone for your responses, you have been EXTREMELY helpful!!!

I just want to say that it is with things like this that I keep coming back to INTERCOT. Everyone here is great and soooo helpful!!

Thanks again everyone and as you all know... :rocks:!!!!