PDA

View Full Version : ouch! do you get blisters?

dyin tago
07-02-2010, 11:00 AM
hi,

dw and I love september for free dining and low crowds but she gets blisters every trip because it is so hot and humid.

does anyone else have this problem and and any good ideas to prevent or control them?:mickey:

faline
07-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Not usually but I did on our last trip. Be sure to bring moleskin with you which helps when blisters develop. Also, sporting goods stores sell productsthat help prevent chaffing and blisters. I think one of the products is called Glide though I have never personally used it.

PopPhan
07-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Body Glide is a good product. It comes in a stick much like an antiperspirant.

There are also many different brands of Blister Stick products out there.

Those will help protect against blisters, as will baby powder in socks and shoes, but IF you do get them anyway, faline is very much correct with the use of moleskin! It covers the blister completely and pads it for protection. Heck, you could even use it as a preventative - cover the areas that are prone to blistering and protect them from the rubbing before they blister.

magicalmom
07-02-2010, 12:54 PM
There are also padded adhesive bandages made for blisters - next to the bandaids in the drugstore.

cer
07-02-2010, 02:33 PM
There is a product that my husband learned about from a runners website. It is Flexitol Heel Balm.

Put it all over your feet daily like lotion - not only will you get soft pretty feet, but it keeps the blisters away. I have used it on our last two trips and did not get even a hot spot.

I would not have believed it had it not worked for me. I have found it at our local grocery store, HEB as well as at Walmart in the foot care section. I will never go to Disney without it! :thumbsup:

Missy_Mouses_Dad
07-02-2010, 03:55 PM
I get blisters everytime we go to WDW. I have tried baby powder in the socks, a couple kinds of lotions, but the blisters always show up..

Granny Jill A
07-02-2010, 04:06 PM
I don't get an actual blister, but a "hot spot" shows up on the foot I broke years ago. I always bring moleskin with me. That seems to head off any blisters.

And, there is nothing better than a good soak in hot water at the end of the day. :cloud9:

DisneyLuver91
07-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Band-Aid makes a GREAT blister block. It looks like a little deodorant and works ALL DAY! I don't get blisters anymore and never had to reapply!

MuchLovedMama
07-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Before my last trip I'd read on here about moleskin so I picked some up and was sure glad that I did. My shoes are always totally broken in and yet I still get really bad blisters on toes and heels. After a day or two without any protection I was in a lot of pain. I put the moleskin on and it was a true blessing. This year I'm putting it on from day one to prevent the pain.

#1disneyfan
07-02-2010, 08:47 PM
I always take Moleskin with me also, but I am inclined to try the other lotions and such out there as previously mentioned! I have noticed that I don't usually get blisters when I wear my Nike flip flops, only sneakers. Go figure!!

dnickels
07-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Walk. Lots. Before you arrive.

If your body/feet are already accustomed to walking or running multiple miles per day then walking around Disney should cause no problems. No different from how farmers can work all day without getting blisters and your typical suburbanite gets blisters on their hands from one spring morning working in the garden.

Plus the extra exercise never hurt anyone. :thumbsup:

Belster
07-03-2010, 09:33 AM
The past 5 trips we have taken, I have been blister free thanks to crocs.

huslovesthemouse
07-03-2010, 09:40 PM
I always got blisters no matter what but two years ago I rubbed body glide at the bottom of my feet and got none!!! Then, my husband who usually never gets blisters started to develop one and he used the body glide too and his problem was solved!:mickey:

doombuggygal
07-04-2010, 03:10 AM
My husband always got horrible blisters on our trips until he purchased a pair of Keen sandals. They were pricey (about $100) but he says they are worth every penny. Our last 2 trips have been blister free and they are now the only shoes he will wear to the parks.

BrerGnat
07-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Walk. Lots. Before you arrive.

If your body/feet are already accustomed to walking or running multiple miles per day then walking around Disney should cause no problems. No different from how farmers can work all day without getting blisters and your typical suburbanite gets blisters on their hands from one spring morning working in the garden.

Plus the extra exercise never hurt anyone. :thumbsup:

This is true. You have to toughen up your feet if you want to stay bliste free. I run, and my feet are all calloused up. I haven't had a blister since I was a kid. My feet aren't so pretty, but they are tough! Part of the problem, for women especially, is the notion that callouses are bad, and there are all these products out there like pumice stones, scrubs, and lotions meant to remove them, and leave feet "baby soft". Problem is, then you get blisters when you walk for a long time.

Best prevention for blisters is feet that are used to walking, with callouses in the right places. I daresay, when you get blisters, do nothing, and the skin will naturally form a callous, protecting from future ones.

magicgal
07-04-2010, 07:28 PM
I used to get blisters until I started wearing crocs while I am at WDW. I hate how the crocs look, but who cares, because I don't get blisters anymore...not even 1!

E-OR
07-05-2010, 11:32 AM
For some reason I always get blisters between my toes. The last couple trips I found that if I change my shoes, and wear flip flop (comfy ones w/an arch) I don't get the blisters. If I see or feel one coming on I put a bandaid on it right away.

GroovyTeach
07-05-2010, 12:38 PM
I wear the really soft Nike flip flops and my feet are hardly even sore at all!!!!

Melanie
07-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Moleskin has been my friend for many years, but I've just discovered the 'blister block' from Band-Aid and it's awesome! Happy Feet!!!! :D

Bethanymouse
07-05-2010, 11:24 PM
We have tried everything and repeatedly we get blisters. We always bring moleskin and we have found that crocs are our best friends in disney. I have found that changing my shoes every other day helps too. Prevents aggravating that same rubbing spot. I usually rotate between my crocs and my sneakers.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-06-2010, 10:01 AM
I have flat feet and have always had a problem with blisters at DisneyWorld. Our last trip was a 10 day trip and I read up on tips from Intercot and purchased a supply of moleskin, along with bandaids, ointment, good broken in shoes everything and still got blisters. As a matter of fact, they got so bad about from my toes to mid foot peeled off and bled. I had to be pushed around in a rental wheelchair our last three days because I could not walk.

I will try the blister stick next time, that one's new. good luck

dyin tago
07-06-2010, 10:30 AM
owww! that sounds awful mississippi disneyfreak.

hope you find something to help you as that would put a real downer in your enjoyment I`m sure.

thanks to everyone else for all the great tips.

Going2HeavenRU
07-06-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm very thankful for this post because I have been haunted by blisters every Disney trip.

I did have some relief last year when I changed shoes as others have suggested. I will definitely be bringing Blister Block and moleskin on our next trip.

I also found that Teva's are wonderful shoes too. Just spent a weekend at Hershey Park and no blisters or sore feet. I can't wait to try them at Disney next year.

i'm grumpy
07-06-2010, 08:48 PM
I bought some new socks, Dr Scholl's I think. Nice and cushiony. I wore them with some cheap Walmart tennis shoes. :thumbsup: