PDA

View Full Version : Driving to/from resorts to Parks each day?

forever a child
07-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Just wondering what most people who drive to WDW for their vacation or rent a car do?

We have always flown in the past. I only rented a car one time and we only used it for driving to dinner outside of WDW in the evening and for other things we did outside of WDW.

My question is do you drive to the parks each day or do you use the WDW transportation? Which is better in terms of less time and stress? I enjoy not having to do much other than hop on a bus. But if it saves us time waiting then maybe it is worth it for me to drive us each day. Especially since we like to close the parks and that is when the wait times can be really long.

We will be going Dec 12 - 18th and so lines may not be very long. We will be staying at CSR for the first time so I am not sure how their bus service may be, though honestly I feel they are all about the same with some days just being better or worse than others.

How is traffic? Is it difficult to navigate to each park? I don't want to get lost and loose time that way. And do will I have to park really far away from the entrance (I loose my car in mall parking lots during the holidays:blush:)

Any advice you can give me will be great. Not sure if I am just a chicken or what! Have no problem driving across country, LOL just across Disney properties!:laughing:

faline
07-02-2010, 10:27 AM
You'll find folks about evenly split in their opinions on this topic. Personally, we rarely use a car on Disney property, even when we have one. Typically, we rely on Disney transportation.

The roads are very well marked with Disney and you should have no trouble navigating from your resort to the various parks.

Depending upon when you arrive and how busy the park is, your parking spot may be a considerable distance from the gate.

KylesMom
07-02-2010, 10:44 AM
With the exception of MK, whereby we take the boat from Wilderness Lodge over, we rely solely on our rental car to get everywhere. Less hassle for us both in getting to the parks and our ADRs - where we're not dependent on leaving an hour to get to a restaurant at another resort that's ten minutes away. On occasion we lose our bearings, but there are enough signs to get you back on track quickly if you stray from your original route. If you had planned to visit other resorts to view the Christmas decorations, this would also be the easiest way to go.

As far as parking, we always take a digital picture of where we parked if we're not among the first in the lot to remember where we left the car. It's become a game in our family to see who can remember the quickest what character section & number we parked in that day. If you're further back in the lot, trams circle the lots to get you back to your vehicle.

Are you comfortable driving in new surroundings? I think that is the biggest question to ask yourself before you make the decision to drive yourself or take Disney transportation. While you're not going for peak Christmas week, I think it will still be quite busy. :mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
07-02-2010, 10:58 AM
The busses are very convenient, but we prefer to drive everywhere except for MK. We always take Disney transportation to MK because we do not like having to take the ferry/monorail over from the Ticket and Transportation Center to the park itself.

Tekneek
07-02-2010, 11:16 AM
We use our own vehicle, with Disney Transportation as a backup if we split up.

gerald72
07-02-2010, 11:57 AM
I like to park my car for the vacation and not look at it- part of being on vacation for me.

Pigtunia
07-02-2010, 12:03 PM
You'll find folks about evenly split in their opinions on this topic. Personally, we rarely use a car on Disney property, even when we have one. Typically, we rely on Disney transportation.

The roads are very well marked with Disney and you should have no trouble navigating from your resort to the various parks.

Depending upon when you arrive and how busy the park is, your parking spot may be a considerable distance from the gate.

Wow, that's what I would have said almost word-for-word.

I might add, however, that we use the car when we go to the golf courses, or when we go to Boardwalk.

magicalmom
07-02-2010, 12:52 PM
We generally use Disney transportation when we're staying on property; sometimes you wait for a bus, but if you drive, you end up waiting for a tram anyhow. (And we're not morning people, so the tram ride can get lengthy)

Using DT also allows us to be spontaneous - we can park hop without having to move, or go back for, the car. We can decide to have a beer in Germany, or wine with dinner, without designating a driver.

And while I admit, the buses aren't terribly exciting, the boats and monorails are part of the excitement for us. (Lots of buses where we live, but no boats or monorails)

faline
07-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Wow, that's what I would have said almost word-for-word.

I might add, however, that we use the car when we go to the golf courses, or when we go to Boardwalk.

Well, you know what they say about great minds.....:D

forever a child
07-02-2010, 01:01 PM
I like to park my car for the vacation and not look at it- part of being on vacation for me.

That's basically how I feel. But I thought maybe the car to parks would be such a time saver that it would be worth it to drive anyway.

What about late night at the parks? Is there a lot of traffic heading out? I assume during EMH it may be reduced...but what about during regular closing hours?

Polynesian Dweller
07-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Except for MK (use the Poly launch for that) we drive everywhere. Oh yes, Epcot as well with the TTC so close it's the monorail for it.

No area is more than 10-15 minutes away and we can drive when we choose, not just when the bus comes. The trams in the parking lots at DHS and AK are very convenient and at AK you can walk to the entrance in about 5-7 minutes if you want. There is a sidewalk on the north side.

So no waiting for a crowded bus and doing things on our time schedule not Disney's.

wildernesslady
07-02-2010, 03:12 PM
We always take the car when going to other resorts, DTD, or mini golf. Otherwise, disney transportation is the way to go.

azcavalier
07-02-2010, 03:31 PM
So, the first six or seven times we flew to Disney, but rented a car. However, we never used them once we got to the resort unless we wanted to go to DTD or a grocery store. However, that was only because we didn't realize that as Disney Resort guests we could park for free.

Now, the last few times we've driven to Disney and we drive to all the parks as well (except, of course, to the MK). Sure, it's a little walk to the parks (unless you take a tram), but it's not bad at all. We've never had to park really far away from the entrance. And we've never had bad traffic trying to leave, even at closing.

Example: We drove to Epcot and stayed until Reflections of Earth and closing. After RoE, we walked out with our kids, got to the car, drove back to POR, and had the kids in bed 30 min. after Reflections of Earth ended. Had we been relying on Disney Transportation, we likely would still have been waiting for the bus.

It's pretty easy to get around at WDW. They have the signs marked pretty well. It also helps to have a map, which you should be able to get from the Concierge Desk in the lobby.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
07-02-2010, 03:51 PM
We always rent a car and use it for every destination except MK. The tram rides are much easier than a bus ride after extra magic hours.

clausjo
07-02-2010, 04:12 PM
I live in South FL so I always drive. Until recently, I would rely on Disney transportation for everything and enjoyed not having to drive everywhere. When we were up in February, we took a bus from MK to Beach Club for dinner, but we were staying at Pop. It took us well over an hour, and a couple of buses, before we could get back to our hotel. That was our first night there so I was pretty tired after getting up early, driving there and spending the day in the park. After that day, I drove everywhere else. It saved so much time and the kids really loved taking the trams. They say that's the bad part about staying onsite - no trams! So since then, everytime I go I drive.

forever a child
07-02-2010, 06:44 PM
I may be missing something here, but why does everyone keep saying they drive everywhere BUT MK?:huh: What makes it worse for MK?

Thanks everyone too for the replies. :mickey:

SandmanGStefani24
07-02-2010, 07:03 PM
after having a rental the 4th trip, I cant imagine ever NOT having one. we just didnt have a very good experience with the WDW transportation. too crowded, long hot waits, and such...

i always drive to and from the parks each day. there is nothing better than being able to go "home" when you want, and not have to sit and wait for a crowded bus when you just want to relax and sleep. (our hour and a half wait going home from MK was final and lasting decider.)
Plus, you get free parking staying on property so it works well. The walk to the car never seems to be very long, plus once you get in, hit the A/C and drive away it makes it worth it.
Driving around WDW property is easy thanks to signage, and worst case take the little map you get when you check in and use it to find your way back.

Driving is the only way to go! Nothing against the WDW transportation, it's just not for me.

forever a child
07-02-2010, 07:17 PM
As far as parking, we always take a digital picture of where we parked if we're not among the first in the lot to remember where we left the car. It's become a game in our family to see who can remember the quickest what character section & number we parked in that day. If you're further back in the lot, trams circle the lots to get you back to your vehicle.

Great suggestion too! If we do end up driving I will definitely have to remember that one!

Kathy Jetson
07-02-2010, 07:35 PM
We drive everywhere. I don't want to be in a crowded bus at the end of the day I want my nice quite car. I like being able to come and go as I please and not waiting for a bus. We do always ride the monorail for fun though it wouldn't be Disney without the monorail.

BowTie7
07-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Driving to the Magic Kingdom requires the tram ride to the transportation center and then the monorail or ferry to the park--buses from the resorts drop directly at the park.

Also, driving can be good if you intend to park hop, the bus service between parks seems to always be slow.

faline
07-02-2010, 08:07 PM
I may be missing something here, but why does everyone keep saying they drive everywhere BUT MK?:huh: What makes it worse for MK?

Thanks everyone too for the replies. :mickey:

When you drive to the Magic Kingdom, you must park at the Ticket and Transportation Center. From there, you must take the ferry or the monorail to the Magic Kingdom.

When you take Disney busses, they will bring you to a station that is right outside the Magic Kingdom gates.

#1disneyfan
07-02-2010, 08:51 PM
My downfalls for driving are:

1. I have to drive back after an exhausting day;

2. Remembering where I parked that car;

3. Parking, waiting for a tram, taking the tram to the park and ending up right where the buses would have taken you anyway!

4. Trying to find a parking spot somewhere near your room.

My downfalls for using WDW transportation:

1. Waiting for the bus;

2. Late nights back and standing room only;

3. Lines for buses.

Overall, I still prefer the bus transportation.

:mickey:

kemps@wdw
07-02-2010, 10:21 PM
We park our car the 1st day after unloading @ our resort, and do not see our car until we're ready to head home @ the end of the week. We have always used WDW transportationto go everywhere in the World. Sure, it may take a little longer, but we've learned to navigate properly. Anyway, it's not just about the destination, it's also about the journey. You can meet some of the most interesting people on your way!

forever a child
07-02-2010, 10:51 PM
We park our car the 1st day after unloading @ our resort, and do not see our car until we're ready to head home @ the end of the week. We have always used WDW transportationto go everywhere in the World. Sure, it may take a little longer, but we've learned to navigate properly. Anyway, it's not just about the destination, it's also about the journey. You can meet some of the most interesting people on your way!

Well said!:thumbsup:

vorpalswrd
07-03-2010, 09:37 AM
We went last year in December and also stayed at CSR. I would never go to WDW without a rental car (with GPS for a little extra) again. We booked through a travel agent and got an amazing rate that came out to a little over 200 dollars for one week in a minivan. My theory is that I am on vacation. I do not want to stand in line waiting for a bus when I could already be on my way to the park. Plus, my mom is handicapped (re: cane) and we always parked close. Even if she wasn't it wouldn't change my mind.

Gibbs
07-03-2010, 10:05 AM

:ditto:

magicalmom
07-03-2010, 10:20 AM
I'd be curious to know if there is a statistical relationship between people who are accustomed to using public transportation regularly and people who are accustomed to exclusively driving in their daily lives, and their preferences about Disney transportation.

Just thinking (a dangerous pastime, I know)

SandmanGStefani24
07-03-2010, 02:54 PM

Wow! I am the exact opposite. I like to drive the rental, and see that as part of being on vacation. No schedules, not having to be anywhere at a specific time. Just going when and where you want. It's the independent spirit in me...I guess.

Also someone mentioned losing the car on vacation. I like to send a text to myself if I think Im going to forget where I parked. Something like "Mickey 15, 10 rows in." This also works at the airport...

faline
07-03-2010, 07:29 PM
I'd be curious to know if there is a statistical relationship between people who are accustomed to using public transportation regularly and people who are accustomed to exclusively driving in their daily lives, and their preferences about Disney transportation.

Do you think folks who use public transportation would be more likely to ue Disney transport or the other way around?

I do not use public transportation to get to and from my office and drive 40 miles one way each day. When at Disney, I don't want to drive and neither does my husband. We use Disney transprotation.

HoosierDisneyFan
07-03-2010, 09:49 PM
We save the car rental (and the time send picking up, re-fueling and dropping off) and use Disney transportation including Magical Express. Some will have poor experiences with Disney Transportation but it has been great for up. No worries about parking, walking to through the parking lots looking for the car, trams from the car to the park, getting lost, etc.

The buses, boats and monorail is part of the Disney experience for us.

ILoveLegos
07-03-2010, 10:17 PM

Okay, I'll bite!
At my primary home I have a 20 foot commute to work (so I don't use public transportation :thumbsup:). However when I am required to be on a work site in the city, I take the trains into the city & rely on foot power and/or taxis & subways (depends on the weather). I use pedal, foot or car power to run errands at home.

At my secondary home, I have a 100 foot commute to work. However I use my car & a plane to get there. I use pedal power or car power to run errands (I'm totally in the boonies).

At Disney on day trips - if I'm not park hopping - I drive. If I am park hopping between Epcot & Magic Kingdom - I take the monorail. If I'm doing the other parks DTD and or water parks - I drive.

At Disney Staying on Property - I only take public transportation the entire time (I leave my car home). I have my hired car to transport me to & from the magic & home at the beginning and end of my vacation. :mickey:

wickedgin
07-04-2010, 01:40 AM

My husband has never really used public transportation in his life, so at WDW he prefers to drive himself. I find driving to be faster, so that's my preference, but I also like to convenience of just riding along, so I think I'd be fine either way.
Ideally, I'd stay at the Poly of GF every time and be able to use to use the monorails most days. :cloud9:

ILoveLegos
07-04-2010, 11:01 AM
At Disney Staying on Property - I only take public transportation the entire time (I leave my car home). :mickey:

Whoops, I meant Disney Transportation pretty much exclusively. I've only rarely used LYNX to visit friends while staying in the greater Orlando area.

magicalmom
07-04-2010, 12:59 PM
I know that individual decisions are always unpredictable, and that there are exceptions to every trend, but it seems reasonable that what people are used to doing would influence their decisions to car or not to car . . .

For instance, I'm from Michigan, the land of cars - there's very little real public transportation outside of Detroit, and maybe 2 or 3 other cities. Part of my family and my in-laws still live in Michigan, and they automatically drive everywhere they go. DH and I, on the other hand, have been in Washington DC for 25 years. We live in the burbs, so still need to drive quite a lot, but take bus and Metro when it's practical. At WDW, we prefer to take Disney transportation.

I just completed my first statistics class, so found myself wondering how these decisions would actually trend. I don't know enough to design the survey, though. :blush:

magicalmom
07-04-2010, 01:03 PM
I could also see people who drive a lot daily preferring to use Disney transportation as a break. I don't think there would be many people who are accustomed to using public transportation who would elect to drive all over WDW.

But this is all intuitive, not a statistic in sight.

Zawadi
07-04-2010, 02:52 PM
We have use a rental car but when going from resort->park->resort we usually use Disney Transport.

However, if we doing something else like

resort-A -> park -> resort-B -> resort-A
or park then offsite

we'll take use the car. A previous poster has already mentioned the pain in getting Disney Transport connections between resorts.

marlyn
07-04-2010, 07:35 PM
I have done some trips with rental vehicle and some without. What I prefer now is to use Disney transport...and for the few times I would prefer a car (ie: getting from resort to resort for dining....I use a cab. Using a cab 2 or 3 times a trip ends up cheaper than a rental anyhow)

chefmickey3
07-04-2010, 10:47 PM
I prefer Disney Transportation. We drive down from PA, so we have our minivan. We like to drive to DDT and AK. After riding Kali River Rapids we can head straight home - no waiting for buses. The boys love taking the buses. As for your statistics, we live in the suburbs of Philly and the public transporation is sparse at best. We usually drive and carpool when we can.

pokci
07-05-2010, 08:10 AM
I'm a suburban girl and only used a public bus once (not including school buses :bus:), and taken the train (Amtrak :train:) to NYC and DC a total of 3 times in 46 years! :blush: So, I don't use public transportation.

However, at WDW, when we used to drive, the car would be parked the entire time. Now that I fly in, I never think about a car. The transportation at WDW is easy once you figure it out (this is my 20th trip, so I can get from any point to any other point on property several different ways without thinking :thumbsup:). It's also part of the fun of WDW for me. Since I don't use public transportation, the transportation at Disney is almost another ride. On DME twice I've had funny bus drivers. On the late nights coming back from the parks I've had great drivers, mostly. And on those occassions when it's mid day and I'm the only one on the bus, I get to ask the driver all sorts of questions :drive: about the property, about where they are from, how long they've been there, and so on.

On vacation :clappy:, I'd rather stand in a line and meet new people then have to concentrate on driving on a property I don't normally drive on. :cloud9:

Philly is going to be a scorcher this week! :fan:

Mickey'sGirl
07-05-2010, 08:12 AM
I work in Downtown Toronto, and spend almost 2 hours per day commuting on Public Transportation. Disney Transportation has NO appeal for me.

indytraveler
07-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Done both. More times driving myself around. Once they put the signs up it became easier. I believe 12+ years ago they didn't want the resort stayers driving around so the signs weren't the best marked. We have stayed off property a few times and believe me they don't want to show you how to leave the WDW property. :D

Park hopping adds more drama for your day. Did you just miss a bus going to your destination or is there one waiting for you? While if you drove you'll know how long it takes b/c the car is waiting.

What about the Magical Express? I've seen what looks like an hour plus wait before. I've usually am in my rental car within 15 min of picking up my bags.

brownie
07-05-2010, 11:15 AM
We use a combination of our car/rental car and Disney transportation. If you can get into the parks early and get a close spot, it beats waiting on buses at the end of the day. Navigation isn't bad as long as you pay attention to the signs and don't get it in your mind that you need to turn down a certain road to get back to your resort (it wouldn't have been so bad if I had only done it once!)

azcavalier
07-05-2010, 12:30 PM
I've already posted on here about this, and our preference is to drive. However, we do like riding the buses, boats, and monorail. The problem is the waiting for the buses at the end of the day when trying to get home. So, if we know that we're planning to stay at Epcot and watch Reflections of Earth, we'll definitely drive. However, if we're going to Hollywood Studios and are not planning to stay until closing, then we have no problem taking the bus. I agree that Disney Transportation is part of the WDW experience. However, when you have cranky kids (and adults) at the end of a long day at the parks, that's part of the experience i'd rather avoid. It's so much nicer to just get in the car and go.

LVT
07-05-2010, 01:28 PM
We drive down and park it. Unless we need to do some shopping at Target, we mostly use Disney Transport. The waterparks are 50/50 because It can get cold if you ride back wet. The buses can be fun, it depends on the riders moods.
We live in a college town and the buses use the pack-em-in like sardines mode if needed.