PDA

View Full Version : Adult learning to swim

misspriss
07-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Have any of you as an adult taken swim lessons? I am thinking of signing up at a local gym for private adult lessons to learn to swim. I am in my 30s and am embarrassed that I can't swim. I had lessons when I was younger but am still scared in pools. My kids are taking lessons this summer because I don't want them scared like I am. And I would love to be able to enjoy some vacations more being able to participate in going to the pool. Any thought? Is it harder as an adult to learn?

Thanks!

Scar
07-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Couple thoughts.

First, I would assume (like pretty much everything,) it would be more difficult to learn as an adult. But don't let that stop you.

I hope you're not scared of the pools at DisneyWorld, unless you're shorter than 4 1/2 feet tall, you don't even need to know how to swim, just how to walk in water.

Do wan't to actually swim like back and forth in a lane, or just learn how stay afloat and move around without touching the bottom. Two compleately different things and I would guess the lessons at the gym would be for the former. I can teach you how to do the latter, just move your arms and legs around and keep your head above water. Oh, and don't be scared. ;)

divinedi
07-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Will it be more difficult than when you were a child, unfortunately yes. I've certainly found that as an adult I have a lot more fear of things, than my kids ever did. Can you do it, OF COURSE!!!!!! You've already done the worst part, deciding to try! Some faith in yourself, patience, and you'll be swimming like a fish in no time. Go for it! Good luck, but you won't need it.

misspriss
07-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks for your replies. Scar - I would love to learn to swim lanes, etc but my goal is to be able to float and just stay above water for now. :-) I have never even been to the pools at DisneyWorld because of my fear. However, we are going in Sept and with the hot temperatures, I would like to be able to this time. My kids are already talking about the pools, so I thought I'd better learn a little and be able to enjoy the pools at the Poly! Thanks again!

Pirate Granny
07-01-2010, 06:36 PM
My mom didn't learn to swim until she was 50...it was more fear and conquering the fear. You will do fine with lessons. My mom made sure that we all coulees swim and didn't pass on her fears,just like you are doing...you will love the pools at Disney, even the slides will be shallow enough for you to stand up..perhaps not in the waterparks..careful in the waVe pools. ENJOY
:pirate:

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-01-2010, 06:46 PM
There are lots of adults who are learning to swim!

At the pool where my daughter takes lessons, they have a bunch of classes, and the YMCA has two adult classes a week. So, it is quite common :)

The lessons will help you feel comfortable in the water, but you don't need to be worried about Disney pools. They are quite shallow and you can touch the bottom all of the time. So, enjoy cooling off and don't panic that you're going to have to "swim" in them. Most people are just lounging around anyways :)

Also, we take or buy a pool noodle to float on while at Disney, so that might help you too.

faline
07-01-2010, 07:31 PM
When I was growing up, I loved to watch Olympics swimmers and divers and wished I could be just like them! Despite spending quite a lot of time at the beach, I never did learn to swim. As an adult, I went to the local "Y" and took swimming lessons. It was hard but I was determined. I am not a strong or comfortable swimmer and would still describe myself as a non-swimmer. I can float and get from one end of the pool to the other. I'm far more comfortable in a pool than a lake or ocean - I like having those specific sides!

Still, following my lessons, I was able to go to River Country (gosh, I'm dating myself!) and even went down the slides there! I was so proud of myself!

I strongly suggest you go forward with taking the lessons! When I went to the "Y", the teachers were very patient and used to dealing with adults who were non-swimmers. They combined their patience with the ability to "push" the limits. Please take the lessons and let us know how you do!

BrerGnat
07-02-2010, 01:02 AM
I firmly believe that everyone should have basic swimming ability, because you never know what might happen and you find yourself in water. Take the lessons! If you make your fears well known to the instructor, he/she will take it slowly and not push you past your comfort zone.

A good goal (similar to what the goal is for most young kids who take lessons) is to be able to swim 25 meters, unassisted, using a proper freestyle stroke with either side breathing, or "roll over/float" breath breaks. It sounds like a lot, but you can do it!

I have a five year old son with autism. He loved the water, but had major anxiety with the idea of swimming with no flotation aid or being "let go" of. He would have full blown panic attacks. I put him in private lessons last year. In 16 twenty min. lessons, he was swimming across the 25m pool. By himself. He is now a total fish, and there's no stopping him!

Tick-Tock
07-02-2010, 03:23 PM
My DH took swim lessons as an adult. He found it a little demoralizing that his teacher was a high-school student, but it really helped him be more comfortable in the water. He's never regretted taking the lessons.

Good for you for helping your kids not be afraid. And since your kids are going to be in the water, then you're to be commended for making yourself as comfortable as you can too.

forever a child
07-02-2010, 08:52 PM
I started back to school in my late 30's. I am not learning to swim, but I know if it is something you really want to do than you can learn it. It might be harder for you than young kids around you but don't compare yourself to them. Just take it one step at a time. You can probably find someone from your local Y to offer you private lessons that way you can go at your own pace. I wish you the best. I am afraid of heights and there are so many things I want to do that make it very hard for me. I was TOTALLY afraid of Soaring!:blush: I did it but it was hard!

garymacd
07-02-2010, 10:04 PM
I would love to learn to swim lanes, etc but my goal is to be able to float and just stay above water for now. :-)

I wish I could float! Even after forty years of swimming, I can't float! But don't worry: that's what floaties are for.

I used to have kids in my swim classes at 7 pm and then have their parents in classes at 8 pm. It was a great feeling knowing that the families were learning a healthy and fun family activity.

I actually taught one family all the way up to our basic lifeguarding level here in Canada - Bronze Medallion - and both son and mother (at nearly 50 years old) became lifeguards (IN THE SAME CLASS) and swim instructors at the pool I used to work at. When she started, she was overweight and scared to death of the water. When she finished, she was nearly as fit as me, and one of the most confident women I had ever met.

So, yes it can be done. Will it be easy? Maybe not, but the longer you persevere, the easier it will get. You will have to unlearn 20 - 30 years of fear and relearn confidence. That will be the toughest part. Your instructor can help you there. All instructors are trained to recognise and modify the courses to help you overcome any fears and limitations you may have. The courses are designed for success, not failure.

I wish you luck and success. I know you can do it.

misspriss
07-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks for your replies everyone. I made the first step and lined up my first private lesson. It is next Tuesday, the 13th. We start off with 7 private lessons. So I'll see how that goes. I'm sure I'll need to sign up for more after that. I'm nervous but excited. And I'm very glad it is a private lesson. I'll let you know how I do! I had some "friends" tell me that if I've went this long without learning that I should just accept the fact that I'll never enjoy being in a pool. So thanks again for all of your positive support!

diz_girl
07-06-2010, 11:07 AM
From what I understand, Julia Child didn't learn how to cook until her 30's. She was from a well-to-do family that had a family cook (her mother was an heiress), so she didn't need to know how to do it. She got married in her 30s to a man with a discriminating palate. They moved to Paris and she enrolled in cooking school. And look how well she did with her lessons.

You should do just fine.

garymacd
07-09-2010, 04:49 PM
I had some "friends" tell me that if I've went this long without learning that I should just accept the fact that I'll never enjoy being in a pool.

What a crock!

If this is something you want to do, then go for it, and don't let anyone talk you out of it!

Jeri Lynn
07-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Congrats on your decision to take swimming lessons. You will be happy you did.

I had a terrible fear of water when I was young and I was about 13 years old taking beginning swimming lessons with 5 year olds...but I did it. I'm more of a raft floater now, I live on a lake but don't really swim, I prefer to get in the raft and just float around!!

Looking forward to hearing about how your lessons go!

divinedi
07-26-2010, 08:40 PM
How are the swimming lessons going? I'm sure you're doing great!!!!

misspriss
07-27-2010, 11:21 AM
I have had 4 lessons now and it is going good! I still have a long way to go. It took probably the first 2 classes before I felt comfortable enough to move away from the side of the pool. lol But I feel pretty good about the lessons and have 3 left to go. I will probably sign up for a few more before our trip to the Poly in Sept. My son is also taking lessons and he is doing just wonderful! Thanks for asking. :mickey:

Jillirose
07-30-2010, 08:40 PM
I was just at a dinner party last night and another gal said that now that her kids are at college, she would like to enjoy water sports like kayaking, but never learned to swim. She is in her late 40s and just learning. I admire her for pursuing her interests instead of saying, "I can't do those things because I can't swim."

I think you have a great goal, that can be achieved and you can enjoy more family activities. Your kids will learn from your example that learning is lifelong!