PDA

View Full Version : Cousin's heart condition

disneycutie165
07-01-2010, 09:58 AM
My cousin is 41 and she has recently been diagnosed with some kind of heart condition. I'm not sure what it is but they know that it is something. It has to do with her heart beating irregularly and it beats faster than it should. The thing that gets me nervous is my heart does the same thing. Apparently it runs though our family. There are two things I would like for you to do- please, please, PLEASE keep my cousin in your prayers! She has two kids- Heather (6) and Rachel (3) and I would hate for them to find out about this! And I also need advice to see if I should go to the doc to get my heart checked out as well. Your prayers are needed and so is your advice!

dnickels
07-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Our heart rates are constantly changing in response to physical activity, physical condition, outside stresses / stimuli, etc so having a heartbeat that's not always constant is normal and far different from having a medical condition involving irregular heartbeat.....

HOWEVER..... having a family member be diagnosed with the condition is certainly a reason to see your doctor and get it checked out. No advice from any of us needed for that! Hope it checks out just fine.

Michelle15
07-01-2010, 10:54 AM
:thumbsup: agree!
Your heart is a very important organ. It doesn't hurt to get checked out just so you can put your mind at ease. You and Your family will be in my prayers. Good Luck

Scar
07-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Get as much info about her condition as you can before you see your doctor. That way you can give them details instead of just saying, "a heart condition runs in my family." Good luck.

Disney4us2
07-01-2010, 11:05 AM
:thumbsup: agree!
Your heart is a very important organ. It doesn't hurt to get checked out just so you can put your mind at ease. You and Your family will be in my prayers. Good Luck

I couldn't have said it any better. Good luck to all of you. :pixie::magic::pixie:

SBETigg
07-01-2010, 12:43 PM
I would get checked out, but don't be too alarmed at this point. There are lots of heart conditions that sound scary but aren't life-altering. Research her condition to learn more about what it is and how to live with it and it might make you feel better, or at least more understanding of treatment and care.

NewDVCowner
07-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Researching the condition will also give you a better idea of what questions to ask the doctor and what tests to insist on. I went to the doctor one time because I was concerned about something. She told me that she didn't see anything that would indicate I should be concerned and not to worry about it. After doing some more researching I found out that it was a simple blood test to determine one way or another. I went back to the doctor, insisted on getting the blood test and it was determined that I did have the condition. You have to be your best advocate when it comes to medicine. If you're worried about something do as much research as you can so you're prepared.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-01-2010, 08:59 PM
I was diagnosed with PVC last summer. I have extra heart beats too which most people do have and don't even know it. I guess most people have extra beats that originate on the top portion of their heart, but I had it top and bottom and a LOT of extra beats. My first question to my doctor was "am I going to die from this?" He assured me that it was common and if it didn't make me really uncomfortable, I don't even need to take anything for it. Stress really makes it act up. But I've found that taking really deep breathes help to slow it down. So maybe it's only something like this? I had to go through a few tests, such as wearing a holter monitor, a stress test, a few ekgs (or was eegs?). It was all done very quickly and put my mind at rest. So if you are worried, go see the doctor. Good luck and let us know how you and your cousin make out.

crazypoohbear
07-01-2010, 11:06 PM
You should also have your tyroid checked. My heart will start racing like crazy every once and a while. I have an small thyroid issue and that is the cause of the racing heart.
When this happens I just stop what I am doing and breathe slowly.
It is worrisome and I can totally understand you being scared. but go to the doctor and put your mind at ease, (it's good for your heart):)