PDA

View Full Version : My Dog Drake

SBETigg
07-01-2010, 09:30 AM
June was a horrible month for me. I started the month with a sick daughter, and I caught what she had. We both had to see a doctor to get better. It was a sore throat-fever-lethargy kind of thing that antibiotics finally wiped out.

My husband had two hospitalizations, for unrelated dangerous conditions, one resulting in emergency surgery to save his spinal cord from permanent damage. Yipes! That was scary. Now he's on the mend.

But the worst thing... my pug was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma. He was fine, but he started bleeding from his mouth, especially when he ate. The vet and her father (the senior vet) disagreed on his condition. The daughter said cancer. The father said probably just gingivitis. But my heart knew. I trusted the daughter's diagnosis, the one I did not want to hear, and she told me there was nothing to be done, short of removing his jaw. I didn't have them run tests. Drake's ten, and he has had his share of health issues. I just asked about care and home treatment.

She was right. It progressed quickly, but he was still wagging his tail and so happy, even though he had trouble eating. I would hand feed him. It worked for a while. Finally, last weekend, his condition got worse. He couldn't eat at all and his breathing became labored. We made the difficult decision to end his pain and suffering and let him go. I miss him so much, but I'm grateful for the joy we gave each other. If you go to my home page, there's a link to my blog where I've written about Drake.

They're with us for such a short time, but they give us so much while they're here. I'm looking forward to a brighter July, with memories of Drake in my heart.

disneycutie165
07-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Oh my goodness! That isn't fun for anyone to go through! I kind of know what you mean... I've been working at our local humane society working with the cats. I knew what they did to the cats that didn't get adopted at a certain time- but I never realized it was reality. I have one of my favorite cats there :cat:- his name was Crosby. He was such a sweet lap cat and I just loved him! I came in on Tuesday this week and his cage was empty. I walked all around the place trying to find my boss to ask if he got adopted! I was so happy for him because I thought he finally had a home. Well, when I finally found my boss- he hadn't been adopted. He was put to sleep. I was devastated!:crying: A cat just thrown away like that- it was hurtful! I'm still sad about it and I'm even sitting here crying as I type this! So I guess you could say I feel your pain! Just hang in there and we'll remember the good times we've had with our animals!:)

BluewaterBrad
07-01-2010, 10:13 AM
I am so sorry. I have a lab who is here with his head in my lap feeling your sorrow also. Take care.:mickey:

Tygger7
07-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Sherri, I'm so sorry for the loss of Drake. I'm a pug-person too...got four of the little rascals myself. I lost my Ozzy in Sept. 2008 and still miss him terribly. He had several "mast cell" tumors removed over his lifetime, and the last few years of his life he developed diabetes and went completely blind. But Ozzy seemed perky & happy, so we just took one day at a time. I knew when my dad met me at the front porch that something bad had happened. My Ozzy, my first pug, had passed away. He went outside, laid down in his favorite spot on the deck, and went to sleep. While I wish I would have had the chance to say goodbye, I'm happy he just drifted off without suffering. We don't know how old he was when we got him from the rescue, but we had almost 10 wonderful years with him. I try to remember the good times, but it's still hard.

You & your family will be in my thoughts & prayers...I like to think that maybe my Ozzy met your Drake at the Rainbow Bridge and is going to introduce him to all the other pugs up there. :hug:

RedSoxFan
07-01-2010, 11:39 AM
So sorry to hear about Drake.:(

TheDuckRocks
07-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Sherri, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of Drake. I know you'll keep him in your heart.

SBETigg
07-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the support, and I'm so sorry for your losses, too.

DVC2004
07-01-2010, 12:13 PM
:(I'm so sorry for your loss!

faline
07-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Sherri, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so hard when a pet leaves us.

You certainly have had a very difficult month. I hope things go much better from here on out!

CanadianWDWFan
07-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Sorry for yor loss Sherri, we know exactly what you are going through. We lost our 13 YO Brittany, Rory, just over three weeks ago. They leave a huge hole in your heart. But you did the best thing for Drake. The care and love you gave him made his time with you all that much more.

laprana
07-01-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. :hug: It's so hard to lose a beloved pet...they're family! I'm sure that Drake will always hold a special place in your heart and memories.

I really hope that July and the coming months are better and easier for you and your family, and :pixie: for a quick recovery for your DH!

yjgirl32
07-01-2010, 12:56 PM
I am so so sorry for your lose. I had a choc. Lab name Coco who at the age of 3 was diagnosed with bone cancer, but after amputation was good until 11 and then got cancer again and we couldn't do anything for her and it was so so hard to put her down. Thoughts and prayers for you.

Disney4us2
07-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Sherri, I am so sorry for your loss.:pixie::pixie::pixie::hug:

Mousefever
07-01-2010, 04:42 PM
This spring and early summer must have been such an emotional roller coaster for you, Sherri! Your book was released with well deserved fanfare, but now your husband's health and the death of your dog are laying you low. I'm so sorry you're going through such a hard time. I hope the coming months are filled with things that bring you joy.

Amy

SBETigg
07-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Amy, so true. It has been an up and down year. Big highs, big lows. It's the year of the Tiger in Chinese Astrology. I wonder if that has any bearing. But it's a new month and I'm trying to keep a positive attitude. I'm going to my happy place at the end of the month--for business, but still I will manage to fit in some WDW fun time.

Thanks again for all your warm thoughts. I've got Drake, Crosby, Ozzy, Rory, and Coco in my heart. We're all lucky to have been so loved. :)

Disneymom4ever
07-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Sherri, I am so, so sorry about Drake. I just wrote my own post about my dog Jasper who just died Tuesday night. This hurts so much, and I'm so sorry we have to go through this! I'm sure they are all playing together just waiting for us. May your July be a better month, and prayers to your husband for a speedy recovery.

Mickey'sGirl
07-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Sherri -- I am so sorry for your loss. I am sure you will miss your Drake and all he was to your family. :hug:

We are all so lucky to have been loved by such special doggies.

IloveDisney71
07-03-2010, 10:46 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never an easy decision to make but you know in your heart when it's the right thing to do. I hope this month will be better for you.