PDA

View Full Version : Finger Lakes, NY

IamaDisneyFan
07-01-2010, 09:04 AM
We are thinking about driving up to the Finger Lakes in the fall with 2 other couples for a long weekend, Friday to Sunday or Monday. There are so many wineries and A LOT of area to cover. :confused: What is the best tour? The moderate hotel you would recommend? Moderate restaurants? Any help at all would be appreciated. Also, how far is it between some of the bigger towns: Watkins Glen, Corning, Ithaca, etc.? Thanks in advance!

BriarRose0708
07-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Welcome to my back yard!

Since you're going in the fall most of the hotels in the area will have pretty moderate prices, at least not as expensive as during the peak season, which is now. Geneva, Ithaca, Elmira or Corning have more hotel options that are "chains" like Best Western, Holiday Inn, Etc. Watkins is the area I am most familiar with and offers locally owned motels or bed and breakfast places. If you google the chamber of commerce websites for Schuyler and Chemung counties you will find all the links to the local businesses. If you have time I recommend a hike in the Glen State Park and a boat cruise on the lake! The Corning Museum of Glass is always a good time.

Driving distance varies, Watkins to Corning is about 20/25 minutes, Ithaca to Watkins is 30 minutes, Watkins to Geneva is 45 minutes, Elmira to Corning is 20 minutes. It makes for gorgeous photos in the fall! I recommend the wineries on the route from Watkins Glen to Geneva on the left side of the lake. You will hit all the good ones- Lakewood (my favorite), Glenora, Prejean, etc.

Have fun!!

NJGIRL
07-02-2010, 10:22 AM
We love the Wakins Glen area. We have a ski house (not used for skiing anymore) about an hour away and have visited Watkins Glen many times in the past. The park area is nice. I love walking up the gorge. They used to have a laser light show on the gorge at night. I don't know if they still do that.

Right outside of the town is the "Farm Sancutary" that gives tours. It is a peaceful place set on rolling hills where you can visit with many animals up close. It's a wonderful experience.

Advnt05
07-13-2010, 09:05 AM
We spent a week last year at the Skeneateles Suites Botique hotel. We loved the hotel and the area. We made a day trip to the Woman's suffrage museum which was nice and also attended some minor league baseball games (my tradeoff by me going to the museum). Lots of wineries in the area. Dr. Frank's is a nice one as well as Bullyhill. My spelling may be off on that one.

Beautiful area and really cold lake.

HollyB
08-08-2010, 12:10 AM
If you are looking for a really nice restaurant/place to stay near Ithaca, I can recommend Taughannock Farms. It overlooks the lake and has a beautiful setting. It's been a while since we last ate there, but it seems to be owned by the same people, so I would guess the food is still delicious.

RedSoxFan
08-09-2010, 02:28 PM
The Boatyard Grill is a great place to eat. They have the best steaks. They don't take advanced reservations; but you can call on the day you want to eat to put your name on the list. It's on the water. Also, if you drive around Cayuga Lake, make sure to stop at MacKenzie Childs in Aurora. Expensive store; but very nice. And Ithaca will be busy with Cornell Univ and Ithaca College back in session. We have never done the wine tours; but I heard they are fun. Our zip code is Ithaca even though we live in the town of Lansing and my kids go to Lansing schools. It's a very pretty area. Watkins Glen is about 30-40 away.

NJGIRL
08-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Our zip code is Ithaca even though we live in the town of Lansing and my kids go to Lansing schools. It's a very pretty area. Watkins Glen is about 30-40 away.

Isn't Buttermilk Falls in Ithaca? That's a pretty park to spend a day at.

RedSoxFan
08-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Yes, Buttermilk Falls is in Ithaca. There are a few falls in the area to visit. They have t-shirts in the local stores with the logo "Ithaca is Gorges" on them because of the falls.

NJGIRL
08-10-2010, 07:15 PM
They have t-shirts in the local stores with the logo "Ithaca is Gorges" on them because of the falls.

That's too cute!

We had a great day at Buttermilk Falls. It was so relaxing, we took a picnic lunch and also walked the falls. The Gorge in Watkins Glenn was really fun. It reminded me how I needed to start exercising again. When we went (a long time ago) they had a laser light show on the Gorge at night.

RedSoxFan
08-12-2010, 08:49 AM
We went to the Taughannock Falls in Trumansburg a couple of years ago which is about 15 minutes from where we live. It was a nice hike; but when we got to the falls, it was just a trickle. But it was really pretty despite the lack of water. There is a state park across the street on Cayuga Lake too.