PDA

View Full Version : DVC Hurricane Policy?

chefmickey3
06-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Does anyone know if DVC has a hurricane policy? I am familiar with Disney's policy but want to know if it applies to DVC reservations with points.

Strmchsr
06-30-2010, 05:50 PM
The DVC policy is, essentially, the same as the regular policy. If a hurricane warning (not watch) is issued for your place of vacation within 7 days of your arrival then you may cancel or modify with no penalty. If you changed to a later date you would lose any discounts you had for the present date, though all monies paid would be applied to the new trip. For instance, if you went in September planning on "free" dining and a hurricane came through you couldn't rebook and still get the "free" dining discount in January.

Joannelet
06-30-2010, 07:27 PM
This reminds me: A family that I know that has owned DVC (at multiple places) was visiting in a grand villa during a major hurricane. It hit at the end of their vacation. All flights were cancelled. Disney wouldn't allow anyone coming into check in nor were they allowing anyone to leave. The family was supposed to leave that Saturday (it was Friday storm was to hit Saturday) and they were told they couldn't leave their property. BUT they also had to pay cash or credit for any extra nights which they were charging them regular rack rate for the grand villa until flights once again resumed. The family was so upset as they were basically stuck.
They eventually LEFT against Disney's will and stayed at a cheap hotel nearby as to not pay $1,000/night by force. They were furious and sent letters afterwards but never heard anything back.