PDA

View Full Version : Toontown Closing?

KAT1811
06-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Does anyone know when they are closing Toontown? I have a friend going to the World late August and she is planning on taking the kids to the water play area in Toontown to cool off if the temperatures are very hot. I am wondering if they are closing the area prior to her arrival.

:thanks:

Strmchsr
06-30-2010, 12:07 PM
No announcement has been made, though one of our other moderators (Faline) said that a CM told her to expect early fall (sometime after the end of July). Apparently they're not booking the tours of that area after July. So, sounds like it might be a close call for your friend, but until WDW announces it there's no way of knowing.

BellesRose
06-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Why are they closing?

Basket Mommy
06-30-2010, 05:06 PM
To revamp Fantasyland. Toontown is going away to make room for the new, improved Fantasyland.

nicjohn3
06-30-2010, 05:51 PM
The new area looks HUGE. The area they have blocked off..not including the existing Toontown...is really big. They took out Pooh play area and it looks like they are going further behind that.

Ally'sMom
07-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Are they closing down the whole area of Toontown or just parts - we are going in Nov and I was hoping to go with my 2 yr old.

Strmchsr
07-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Are they closing down the whole area of Toontown or just parts - we are going in Nov and I was hoping to go with my 2 yr old.

The whole thing will be gone permanently. The only part that might remain is the Barnstormer. There's been talk it'll be rethemed but remain. That is not confirmed, though. I would guess by November it'll be gone, but there's no 100% confirmation on that.

Skippy
07-01-2010, 09:18 AM
The expansion is enormous. The construction walls are up all the way to the road behind the Magic Kingdom (if you google map it and look at the aerial, you can see the green grass area behind toontown. That's now all under construction all the way up to the road.

plutosnana
07-01-2010, 11:03 AM
They're going to change it to a Tinkerbelle Fairies theme if I remember right!

:tink: :tink: :tink:

Strmchsr
07-01-2010, 02:06 PM
They're going to change it to a Tinkerbelle Fairies theme if I remember right!

Not completely. The first section slated to open in 2012 will be Fantasyland Forest and will focus on the classic princesses (Belle, Ariel, Aurora). What you're thinking of is Pixie Hollow. That will open in 2013.

nicjohn3
07-01-2010, 02:30 PM
With this change --do you think there seems to be more of the "princess" theme for girls and not enough "boy" stuff??

Strmchsr
07-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Well, two parts to my response. First, little girls are Disney's cash cow. It seems every little girl that comes into the parks has to wear a princess dress and go get pixie-dusted within an inch of her life at BBB. So, marketing to little girls makes financial sense. That said, from all the designs and prep-work I've seen for Fantasyland Forest, I really don't see it as a "girls" area. Sure, it focuses on princesses, but it's more classic Disney than it is pink girlie stuff. Disney is built on princess stories and, even though I have 2 boys, I think Fantasyland Forest will appeal to a wide demographic.

Pixie Hollow, on the other hand, makes no sense to me at all. That seems to be capitalizing on the current pixie fad that I doubt has any real staying power. It might be even gone by 2013 when the area opens.

Out at DLR they have Pixar Land opening up and I guess that more "boy" themed. I'd like to see that at WDW, too.

Mary Poppins fan
07-01-2010, 06:56 PM
The whole thing will be gone permanently. The only part that might remain is the Barnstormer. There's been talk it'll be rethemed but remain. That is not confirmed, though. I would guess by November it'll be gone, but there's no 100% confirmation on that.

The Barnstormer is my favorite ride at Disney! :blush:

mom2mickeyfan
07-01-2010, 07:51 PM
I really really hope they keep the Barnstormer even if it is rethemed. It is great for that 3 to 6 age and to warm little ones for the bigger roller coasters. We love Barnstormer and would be really sad it was gone forever. :(

Skippy
07-02-2010, 02:33 PM
The barnstormer is slated to be re-themed to fit the area.

Gator
07-03-2010, 02:29 PM
The barnstormer is slated to be re-themed to fit the area.

Well, then. I'd say that totally sooks. My kids love that ride. I know they'll grow out of it, but the little one will grow into it. Plus, my son will want to go on it the next time we go. He makes me rewind the Barnstormer on all the home videos.