PDA

View Full Version : What is a good cruise line people have liked?

caryrae
06-29-2010, 05:53 PM
I was thinking of doing something else for my wife's 40th b-day next year but she has been saying she really wants to do a cruise sometime. So I was wondering what is a good Cruise to go on for first-timers. She says if we ever did one she would want to do a Caribbean Cruise. I am not looking at Disney cruise but maybe one with Carnival or Royal Caribbean maybe. It will only be the 2 of us. Some of the huge ships I have looked at look awesome I even saw one with a central park on it.

NewDVCowner
06-29-2010, 06:02 PM
I've sailed on both Princess and Holland American - both to Alaska. They were both very nice but I liked the Princess cruise better - mostly because Holland America was more formal, it seemed. Princess seemed more laid back. That's just personal preference.

Emme&TeddysMommy
06-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Royal Caribbean is my personal favorite. We have been on many cruise lines and Royal Caribbean in our favorite hands down! The ships are amazing, especially the new ones. I have new been disappointed in Royal Caribbean. Happy Planning :party:

caryrae
06-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Royal Caribbean is my personal favorite. We have been on many cruise lines and Royal Caribbean in our favorite hands down! The ships are amazing, especially the new ones. I have new been disappointed in Royal Caribbean. Happy Planning :party:

That's the one I am leaning towards, the one with the Central Park looks great. Being we have never cruised before it is kinda intimidating since we don't what to expect.

NJGIRL
06-30-2010, 07:15 AM
Carnival has been our least favorite cruise line. There was nothing bad about it and it was still a nice vacation but we just feel comparing it to the others it's just not as nice.
Please do keep in mind that the last time we were on Carnival was many years ago so they may have changed things. It was also a big party boat back then.

sisterdisco
06-30-2010, 10:49 PM
I have been on Princess, Norwegian, Carnival and Disney. Princess is my favorite cruise line and favorite boat is Carribean Princess.

Princess is classy. They control the kids too. There were staff in yellow shirts that read "youth security" on the backs. They stopped kids from loitering on stairwells, and jumping into the pool.

Eastern Caribbean is in my opinion, way better than Western.

AdventurerKim
07-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Princess and Royal Caribbean are awesome! We're going on Princess to Alaska for the second time next summer and can't wait! We went RC to the Caribbean and had a great experience on the ship. We loved Key West and Grand Cayman; we should have done a different excursion in Mexico and did not like Jamaica at all.

We also went on NCL in Hawaii in May/June 2007 (Pride of Aloha) and had the worst experience ever! No air conditioning for 5 of 7 days with little done to fix this situation, poor service, horrible food and selection, etc. I went again last summer on a different ship (Pride of America) and had a better experience, but NCL doesn't even come close to Princess and RC. Avoid them at all costs!

Dedivah
07-06-2010, 03:58 PM
I've been on 5 cruises all with Carnival and I have never been disappointed. I have tried branching out to other lines like Royal Caribbean but the price keeps bringing me back to Carnival. The price RC charges for an inside cabin I can get an ocean view or smaller balcony with Carnival.

Tink1
07-06-2010, 04:26 PM
I tend to lean toward Celebrity for cruises, but have sailed most lines and like them all. Any cruise is better than home!

Just as an FYI, Magical Journeys books all cruiselines as well. Not just DCL.

Nanc

caryrae
07-07-2010, 09:02 AM
What about airfare is it better to book it with the cruise or wait and do it separately?

NewDVCowner
07-07-2010, 12:20 PM
What about airfare is it better to book it with the cruise or wait and do it separately?

Do it seperately. Pretty much everything that the cruise line does for you will be MUCH more expensive than if you did it yourself.

Tink1
07-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Do it seperately. Pretty much everything that the cruise line does for you will be MUCH more expensive than if you did it yourself.

Very True. Plus you get the flight times you want. Cruiselines are notorious for giving odd connections over non-stop flights and times are not always optimum.

Nanc

Kenny1113
07-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Just as an FYI, Magical Journeys books all cruiselines as well. Not just DCL.

Nanc

Wow! Good to know, I was looking into a cruise as well. I loved my experience with mk in the past ! :thumbsup:

caryrae
07-07-2010, 02:24 PM
I was looking at a Royal Caribbean Cruise at a Balcony room facing the ocean. There are different categories (if that's what they are called) ranging from D1-D7 with the price going up the lower the number, D1 is $2378 and D7 is $2058. I see the rooms are on different decks but does it really matter which deck you're on? Does it really make a difference if we took the $2058 room over the $2378 room? Also does it matter if the room is Forward, Middle, or Aft?

Tink1
07-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Room location is a personal preference really. I am an aft cabin person. I like the back of the boat best. However, I actually book my cabin by how big the balcony is, the bigger the better.

Some people prefer midship- less motion.

Check deck plans to make sure you are not over or under a public area. If you are an "early to bed" person you do not want to be over a dance club!

The difference in the cabin prices is the same as real estate- Location! Location! Location!

Nanc

TheDuckRocks
07-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Also be aware of where the lifeboats are located to relationship to the cabin you are thinking of booking. You sure would not want a balcony that over looks the obstructed view of the lifeboats.

CPT Trips
07-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Princess and Royal Caribbean are awesome! We're going on Princess to Alaska for the second time next summer and can't wait! We went RC to the Caribbean and had a great experience on the ship. We loved Key West and Grand Cayman; we should have done a different excursion in Mexico and did not like Jamaica at all.

We also went on NCL in Hawaii in May/June 2007 (Pride of Aloha) and had the worst experience ever! No air conditioning for 5 of 7 days with little done to fix this situation, poor service, horrible food and selection, etc. I went again last summer on a different ship (Pride of America) and had a better experience, but NCL doesn't even come close to Princess and RC. Avoid them at all costs!

I have to differ with this poster. The two NCL ships mentioned sail in Hawaii . . . they are US flagged and have primarily an American crew. Service on them has been lacking since they started. NCL has gone from three ships based in Hawaii to one.

All the other major cruise ships are foreign flagged, have a foreign crew and provide far superior service to what the Americans provide. I have also cruised on NCL, Princess and Royal Caribbean . . . from the amenities and service standpoint, they are hard to tell apart.

caryrae
07-11-2010, 06:06 PM
I have been looking and looking and looking (to many choices). One thing I have looked at is the Ports of Call and one I have found is with Carnival on the Freedom ship. It has stops to Key West, which we have been to twice and my wife just loves it there, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios. They have dates that would have us on the cruise with my wifes B-day in the middle. They have Ocean suites which I would do for $980 a piece or would a Balcony room be just as good for $300 less per person? Anybody been on the Carnival Freedom before?

WelshieLover
07-14-2010, 03:27 PM
We have been on Princess and Royal Caribbean, both we great experiences. As far as cabin choice Forward, Middle of Aft - the middle cabins are the best for when the seas maybe rough. You did not say what time of year you would be going. When we went in June we had calm seas with a forward cabin, so there were no issues. When we went in December we luckily had a Middle cabin (at our travel agents advice) and we were so glad we did there was 48 hours of rough seas and it made a differenece.

Magical Journeys does cruises also not just WDW trips you may want to contact them for your trip. Especially since this is your first cruise.

I too would book my airfare myself, be aware to pad in time for weather delays. Many people fly in the night before and stay over to ensure they do not miss their cruise.

Simba's Mom
07-17-2010, 06:55 PM
I have to differ with this poster. The two NCL ships mentioned sail in Hawaii . . . they are US flagged and have primarily an American crew. Service on them has been lacking since they started. NCL has gone from three ships based in Hawaii to one.

All the other major cruise ships are foreign flagged, have a foreign crew and provide far superior service to what the Americans provide. I have also cruised on NCL, Princess and Royal Caribbean . . . from the amenities and service standpoint, they are hard to tell apart.

If you're looking for a fereign crew, DS is one of the rare Americans working on Princess. He said the only Americans are in some form of entertainment. All waitstaff and housekeeping are non-American.