PDA

View Full Version : Weight limit on rides?

stephntampa
06-29-2010, 12:18 PM
I just saw on the news that the new Forbidden Journey ride at Universal Studios guests weighing more than 265 pounds cannot ride. Does Disney have weight restrictions on any of their rides?

PopPhan
06-29-2010, 12:27 PM
If they do, it must be MAJOR!! I tip the scales at around 300# (+/- 5#) and have never been questioned about riding anything at WDW.

Mickey'sGirl
06-29-2010, 12:34 PM
The only thing I can think of isn't a weigh restriction, but I think one's weight would determine if you could ride. At Epcot in Innoventions, there is the Build your own Rollercoaster Virtual Reality ride. The seats are quite snug (for a good reason, since they tip and tilt etc in mid-air). I think that a person of size would have a hard time fitting into the seat. They do have "test" seats before you line up to ride it though (the test seats are more for the ride hood, but you would be able to test the seats for size).

Narawen
06-29-2010, 12:37 PM
The Forbidden Journey is more about the fit than the weight, I believe. There have been several articles out there about guests who were under that weight not fitting in the seats, or the restraint not buckling properly. From what I've read and seen, the seats are pretty narrow so if you're shorter and maybe 240 or 250, it will be a squish to get in and the restraint has to click 3 times.

Last time I went to WDW, I was 5'4" and 260ish, my mom was 230-240. We never had a problem sitting next to each other on any of the rides, and the only time I felt even slightly uncomfortable was on Space Mtn, but that was because I over-packed and had to cram a ridiculously large messenger bag between my leg and the edge of the car. We've never seen larger people have problems either, and there are people well over 300, maybe close to 400 we've seen enjoy rides with no problem. I think there may even be a section in Info Central about "Pooh Sized" guests and different experiences with Disney rides.

From everything I've read, it seems like the Forbidden Journey is an unusual circumstance and Universal should have thought it out better by building larger seats to accommodate all guests.

ETA: Here's the link from info central with different guest experiences at Disney. Some are more about height than weight, but you get the idea.

http://intercot.com/infocentral/misc/largeandincharge.asp

hokies4life
06-29-2010, 12:56 PM
There have been multiple times that Fiance (5'10" and 265ish at the time) has had trouble fitting into Universal rides. Particularly those with over the shoulder restraints, even on the ones with the "modified" seats. But rides with over the shoulder restraints at WDW (ex. RnR) he doesn't have a problem with. With a wide shoulder/chest area and a little extra in the midsection its been difficult on Universal rides but never at Disney.

I don't know anything about the ride but I can definitely see them saying it to try and prevent people from waiting for the ride and then not being able to fit. This has definitely been a factor in not being as keen on going to Universal than Disney. We fit on everything at Disney, but Universal not so much.

Scar
06-29-2010, 01:30 PM
The Segway tours have a 250# limit.

KAT1811
06-29-2010, 01:59 PM
From everything I've read, it seems like the Forbidden Journey is an unusual circumstance and Universal should have thought it out better by building larger seats to accommodate all guests.

Exactly! :thumbsup:

Even though I am 5'7" and average build I do not think that I would feel safe riding a ride that has so many regulations. I am overly cautious at times but always feel safe at Disney. If there were a ride at Disney that had unusual restrictions like weight or even height limits I do not think I would feel safe riding it.

I'll admit the only ride I hesitate to let my younger children ride is Mission Space. My 5, almost 6 y.o. is height able this trip but I think we'll still have her skip it just to be on the safe side.

My DD13 wants to go to Six Flags this summer with her friend's family but for me it's a no go. She's too precious to us.

PrincessJadesMom
06-29-2010, 05:52 PM
I am over 300# and never had an issue fitting on any ride. There is a web site from All Ears called "WDW at large". Check it out, there's a lot of good info on it.:mickey:

finaldynasty
06-30-2010, 09:28 AM
I am over 300# and never had an issue fitting on any ride. There is a web site from All Ears called "WDW at large". Check it out, there's a lot of good info on it.:mickey:

I agree this is a good website as a resource. I just got back and am 6' 315 lbs and did not have a problem at WDW. I am amazed that they are able to accomodate so many sizes.

EJS-Houston
06-30-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm happily on a downward trend weight-wise, but I'm 6'2" and when I was last at WDW I weighed well over 300#. Absolutely no problems.

Imagineer1981
07-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Universal has those test seats outside most of their rides too. People should take advantage of those, but it does seem like Disney takes the time to fit everyone while universal just says..."hope you can fit"

Djscherr
07-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Okay big guy response coming in. Last trip I went on was in January. I was six foot and 350 lbs (trimmed down a bit since then :) ). The only rides I couldn't do were the Segway tour, the virtual coaster in innoventions, and the virtual coaster at disney quest. The first because of weight (although I have ridden a segway before) and the other two because my gut was too big. Otherwise I fit everywhere. Some seats are better for big people than others like the front seat of the rocket at Space Mountain, and one of the test track seats are better, but I can never remember which.

Dickson Thunder
07-04-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm 6' 6" and about 330. I carry everything pretty uniformly and while I'm a little snug on a couple of rides (mainly due to my height) I can ride all attractions.

;)

Zawadi
07-05-2010, 11:35 AM
The Forbidden Journey is more about the fit than the weight, I believe. There have been several articles out there about guests who were under that weight not fitting in the seats, or the restraint not buckling properly. From what I've read and seen, the seats are pretty narrow so if you're shorter and maybe 240 or 250, it will be a squish to get in and the restraint has to click 3 times.

At the end of the day ride design is a money issue considering:

Guest throughput
Body size (catering for larger means less guests)
Guest weight. 'coaster trains in particular are very sensitive to weight in that too light = not enough kinetic energy for climbs, too heavy = run too fast after drops & too high G-force
Temperature - 'coasters run faster in the afternoon once everything (track, bearings, tyres) has warmed up

It is impossible to satisfy all of the people all of the time so demographics are applied.

In the UK, the critical rides have a test seat at the entrance to the line. I've been on 'coasters in quiet seasons where extra weight had to be added in terms of water-filled manakins.

KAT1811
07-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Universal has those test seats outside most of their rides too. People should take advantage of those, but it does seem like Disney takes the time to fit everyone while universal just says..."hope you can fit"

Yet another reason why we are Disney people and not Universal people! ;)

:mickey: